Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Who actually races their Redcat at the local track?

Just wondering if anyone actually competes with their Redcat at their local track and how you do in the races. Ican not find a video on Youtube of a Redcat actually in a organized race.

I have about 5 tracks "around" me but they are all about 45 mins to 1.5 hrs away so not all that easy to just stop in and observe. I have a Tornado ESCPro but very few have4wd class at all. Most have the very popular Short Course classes (2wd and 4wd).

Anyone race a Caldera SC truck?

I think a SCtruck will be my next purchase. You can get a Losi or AE rolling chasis for about the same as a RTR from Redcat so not sure which way I will go.

Would love to hear about Redcats being a viable option at the track?????

RE: Who actually races their Redcat at the local track?

I've taken the Caldera XB out to the track and it does about as well as a traxxas (which isn't saying much). The Caldera would do better with lighter weight shock oil. What comes in it is good for stability at high speed on hard surfaces but bounces too much when you are on a hard bumpy clay track. The Caldera also doesn't have the side bars which essecially make it an open wheel vehicle. SC trucks bounce off each other a lot and you would be at a disadvantage. But for 196 (which is what many dealers with their own web sites sell Calderas for) you get a lot of truck for you money.If you go with the roller you will get a much more tunable and better handling vehicle plus when you are at the track you will be able to find replacement parts much easier (either from the local shop or other racers). I have a Caldera XB, XE, Tornado ESC Pro, and Backdraft 8E. They are fun for racing around the park but when I go to the track I prefer my Losi 22TI just remembered, a guy at work has converted to racing only carpet (road racing with electrics) and is selling his Team Associated Buggies and Stadium truck. He didn't quote a price but did say he was selling them cheap. He also has electronics too. I suspect the electronics would be a tekin esc and novak motor. I'll get more details and if you want to know ask.If you decide to go with the caldera I can get you one at a good price with an upgraded servo (the servos that come with them are not suitable for racing)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Who actually races their Redcat at the local track?

ORIGINAL: RockinEagle

Anyone race a Caldera SC truck?
    Well i will be soon, i have the Caldera 10E but im going to put SC tires and body on it and try racing it at my LHS, our track though is just PCV tubing layed out with wooden ramps on a concrete parking lot but its a pretty cool and tight track set up most the guys run SC10 2wd and 4wd and do very well, im not that good a driver im more of a basher so i dont know how i will fair but i ran my caldera there this weekend and it rocked BUt im having a heat issue with my motor and Redcat cant seem to help via email or phone thier only option is to send it to them,,, so this is why im thinking going with the smaller SC tires should help and if i have to i may have to hunt down a 10 or 11T pinion and see if that helps any.
    I clocked my Caldera on a 2s 5000Mah 25-30C battery and maxed out at 34.5 Mph on flat blacktoip and 27.4mph on short dry dead grass which is not bad however id rather slow it down and not overheat in the first 5 mins of running lol.
    Im now experimenting with some of the esc setting (manually ughh) maybe that will help but so far no luck yet.
    I will watch this post and post back when i do race and let ya know how she goes.
    JRockZ