Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Monsoon xtr

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 AM
carslover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon xtr

hey all, just curious what your oppinions are on the monsoon xtr? i am considering purchasing one to upgrade from my tornado s30! if i choose to upgrade, does the monsoon run 20 or 30 percent nitro?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Monsoon xtr

Great ride you can run 20% or 30%. 30% will make your car fast just use a colder glow plug.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Dads like rc too

I have a Tornado S30 and just recently bought a Monsoon XTR.  I love the Tornado for the price.  Considering what it costs this thing always runs.  Admittedly I try to take it easy and not bash the heck out of it just because, but there still the un-expected crashes into immovable objects or other RC trucks around you.  All in all though, it always fires up and has become a very dependable back up car.  

The Monsoon is just scary comparing it to the Tornado.  First off when you put the two side by side you won't believe the difference in build quality.  I was expecting just a larger version of the Tornado but it's much more than that.  Front drive shafts instead of dog bones, heavy duty bracing all around.  The dog bones in the rear are massive.  Even the steering knuckles which are plastic are huge and thick.  I got nailed the other day by another truck right on the corner of the front wheel.  Expecting the worst, the one wheel dropped and turned.  I went over to check it out and it just pulled the drive shaft out of the diff cup jamming it.  Popped it back in and away it went.  You won't believe the power of the stock .28 engine that comes with it, and the exhaust will remind you of a KX80.  Loud and obnoxious, just the way we like it.

Overall again for the price, I love it.  I do feel it could have a little bit more on the top end but for $300 I don't think you'll find anything out there that compares all around.  The only other thing that was "less impressive" was after some ramp jumping and a bad landing I broke the rear lower control arm pin holder.  That wasn't such a big deal and was kind of expected.  But I was surprised to find two missing teeth on the steel spur gear.  It seems the metal they use is pretty weak.  If I had stripped the gear from engine movement or just wearing out would be one thing, but to see two teeth in two different areas just shear off tells me these steel spur gears can't take much punishment.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 AM
carslover

so i just purchased it, cant wait for her to get in!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM
kelynsdad1023

its a great truck built solid you'll have fun with it !
Old 03-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Dads like rc too

I was set on a HPI Trophy Truggy at first, now after getting my Monsoon and saving almost $200 I"m convinced I don't need a $500-$600 RC truck to have fun.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54881.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1734174