Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Making your own nitro fuel?

I'm thinking of getting a redcat shockwave buggy and this will be my first nitro car and kinda wondering how much I would end up spending on fuel so I was wondering is it possible to mix your own nitro fuel? I see some sites from googling that seem to give instructions on some mixes but, also mention a term that I'm unfamiliar with "glow fuel" is this another term for nitro fuel? If I mix my own is there a chance that I could mess up the rc car? Or will it effect performance are there certain chemicals in the actual nitro fuel that makes it better than mixing your own?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Making your own nitro fuel?

i would not recommend mixing your own nitro, it costs 30 dollars for a gallon of o'donnels 20% depending on were you purchase it and were you are living, a gallon will last you a decent amount of time depending on how often you run it. If your in the business of trying to save money you are going into the wrong hobby, as a beginer your bound to break things constantly, and i would recommend spending the extra 40 dollars and getting the tornado s30, it is of way better build quality, and it has a bigger and better motor, and the tornado has a 2.4ghz radio in it, which is of much better quality than the am one you will recieve with the shockwave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Making your own nitro fuel?

Yes glow fuel is just another term for nitro fuel. It's a mix of nitromethane, oil, and methanol I believe. You may save a little bit by mixing yourself but the start up cost is probably going to be a bit more. The benifit to buying premixed fuel is that it's easy and you get a fairly consistant result from it. As carslover mentioned, the cost really depends on how often you run it, but as far as the math goes 1 gallon is ~3785.4cc and the tank size (taken from redcat's site) on the shockwave is 75cc. So you will get about 50.5 tanks out of a gallon. Not sure what the average run time per tank is but my nitros get around 15 minutes maybe.
    Associated Rc8, Redcat Earthquake 8e, Losi Mini-t, Traxxas: Jato, Slash, TCP, and E-Maxx