Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ticked off!! Redcat parts problem!!!! HELP!!!!

I may have lost it today. Sorry. Buuuuuuut, in my defense, how was i supposed to know that piece twisted like that.I just thought it had some play in it for kinda cushion the steering. I never saw or read anything about how to do that. I guess i don't know how to use the intenet.

Time to switch to decaf i guess!!!!!

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ticked off!! Redcat parts problem!!!! HELP!!!!

Fail 1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fail 2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is the correct part just loosen the adjuster knob and rotate the arm 180 deg and then tighten it back up and it will work.
    Urc Hobby Redcat Racing, HPI, Traxxas, XTM Racing, Venom, RC4WD, Integy, DDM Racing & PRP Dealer LI New York

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That is the correct part just loosen the adjuster knob and rotate the arm 180 deg and then tighten it back up and it will work.
    Urc Hobby Redcat Racing, HPI, Traxxas, XTM Racing, Venom, RC4WD, Integy, DDM Racing & PRP Dealer LI New York

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I tried that but i couldnt get it to rotate. Now i feel like a tool. but i guess i will try it again. thanks for the help.

It would be nice if they would put that in the instructions somewhere.........going to bed now, try it in the morning. Thanks.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: greg zts

How is it that they dont' even answer their phone? phone hours are from 10am-10pm edt. Well i called at 3:40 pm and no one was there!!!!! Damn i'm irritated with this whole process!!!!!!!! I wish i would known this before i bought the truck. Parts are nearly impossible to find!!!!! what pita!!!
    greg, a lot of times you can get what you need on ebay from sellers that sell tear downs. You'll find parts where the seller takes apart a brand new truck and sells all the parts. Most of the time they will come with the hardware as well. The good part is you can find lots of parts and usually have them in 3 days. The prices are good too considering you don't have to pay the minimum UPS ship fee from Redcat. The parts are cheaper from Redcat usually but when you add in the shipping, it's not worth it if your only ordering 1 part. I try to only place orders from Redcat when I'm ordering multiple parts.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks again guys. I got it figured out. Feel like a total azz!!!!

I have found a few good guys on ebay to get parts and Kurt at urchobby, but it just seems like Redcat is out of alot of their parts. Most of it is the aluminum upgrades, but those are the ones that i want.

And as far as this part goes, i had no idea that it rotated. I tried to unscrew that piece, but it just spun the whole screw. Just kinda thought that was the way it was. And why didn't redcat answer their phone today? Are they closed on monday? Nothing in the message said they were closed.

It just seems like other companies have really good service after you buy. But redcat seems to be lacking in this dept. Instructions with the part i got would have been a good idea for the people that just kinda got into or back into this hobby. My brother has a traxxas and every part he has gotten came with clear instructions on how to install it. Just seems like it would make sense.

But whatever. Thanks to you guys i got it in. Still waiting on the bellcrank from urchobby, but that should be here tomorrow or wed. Then i will be running again. AFter being down for a week.

thanks again for helping me keep my head on. I think i am better now.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

but it just seems like Redcat is out of alot of their parts. Most of it is the aluminum upgrades, but those are the ones that i want.

Be carefull with the aluminum. It looks cool but adds weight and also bends. There are certain area's that benefit from aluminum upgrades and others that don't. Aluminium control arms are for show. Keep the the $3.99 plastic one's on and buy an extra set for the parts box. Steering knuckles usually benefit from being upgraded but if you have pivot ball knuckles, these work fine. On my son's Caldera and my HPI MT2 I upgraded them. Both of these models do not have pivot ball and the steering knuckle screws pull right out of the bottom after a few jumps. Anyway, you probably get my point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do does redcat have two parts pages? If i got to their website, i can't find anything, but if i go here, there are all the parts? what gives? How does that work?
    http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still kinda annoyed that the amount of parts that are out of stock. Seems like they would have plenty like some of the other companies. IMHO.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It just seems like other companies have really good service after you buy. But redcat seems to be lacking in this dept. Instructions with the part i got would have been a good idea for the people that just kinda got into or back into this hobby. My brother has a traxxas and every part he has gotten came with clear instructions on how to install it. Just seems like it would make sense.

do does redcat have two parts pages? If i got to their website, i can't find anything, but if i go here, there are all the parts? what gives? How does that work?
    http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/Redcat-Parts

greg
    Greg: I'm sorry but I have to call B.S. on the "every part he has gotten came with clear instructions on how to install it". My local hobby shop is a Traxxas dealer and he has hundreds of Traxxas parts on the wall, you know the kind in the clear bags. Not one part has instructions in it. Besides buying a replacement engine or ESC I've never seen instructions come with any part. And as far as the two parts pages, are you looking in the right area because on Redcats site there are 4 pages for the Volcano epx pro.

Now your right about them having a lot of parts out of stock but when I really looked closely at it there were only a few real parts out of stock "meaning the servo saver or diff pinions". A lot of the parts were like screws or battery connectors and like you said some of the aluminum upgrades.

I think these forums are a great place to give your advice or opinion, good or bad. But slamming Redcat for not giving instructions in their parts and saying Traxxas does just really isn't fair. Now it's no secret if you've read some of my posts that I am a fan of Redcat but they still have to provide us, the customer with the support for their products. I have heard more so than not about their poor customer service and lack of answering the phone. I have to believe these claims have some merit and would not argue them with somebody who tells me about their personal bad experience. Luckily for me the few times I've phoned them they've always answered promptly. I also emailed them about some tech info about a conversion I was doing and they sent me a detailed email 2 days later.

So I guess what I'm saying is the internet is an easy place to spew. It just seems like you may have been a little annoyed when you posted about your problem and may have posted some things that really just weren't true.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are right about the clear bags. But what i was talking about, and wansn't clear, is the owners manual isn't very helpful. It does show the exploded view of the truck, which helps, but when i go to look up the part #'s, some of them come back with nothing. how can that be? And then when i get a part, like the steering unit i got, it has a totally different # on it. That is very frustrating.

I guess i was "slamming' them, and that wasn't fair, but i think they need to step up their game if they are gonna compete with traxxas and some of the other companies. And hate or love traxxas, they are the only rc company you really hear about if you are not in the hobby 100%. Both of my brothers have traxxas, slash and stampede, and they beat the hell outta their trucks and very few parts have broke. One arm, an axle and diff seal have been the only problems they have had. I haven't even really had the chance to beat on my truck. took a bad bounce and broke the chassis, flipped upside down (my fault with the new lipo) and sheared off body mounts (my fault-not a huge deal) took one jump that was literally 10-14"'s high and bent the front dogbones, my brother broke both of the steering parts (DIK!!!). I have had the truck for 3 weeks and maybe used it for 35 min's. You are gonna break parts, i get it, but with traxxas they can go to any hobby shop in the country and get new parts. I have to search online, find the right part # (which someof them have been changed, apparently), and then hope they have it in stock. Most of my down time has been waiting for parts. I guess i wish that redcat would expand their hobby shop selling base.

I know they are a budget/entry level rc company, but for the money i have spent already, i coulda got a stampede or similar and not broken anything and if i did, have it fixed in an hour since i can go to any shop and get parts. It is just frustrating. I am no expert, but it is basic stuff that i would think is easily fixed by getting more non-online vendors around the country.

In response to them not answering their phone, James got byack to me by email. He was on a business trip so i get that. He sent me an email saying that when he gets home he will look up the part i need and send it out to me. I told him that thanks to the guys on this board i got it figured out. So, he was busy, so that is why i got no response. I get it. I apologized for the confusion, which was totally my fault, and that is all good now.

I am sure that some of you are thinking that it is my fault that the parts are breaking. But in all honesty, i haven't had time to "bash it to break it". One jumpe killed my dogbones. They chassis breaking was a misplaced rock and curb and bad timing and angle. Body mounts, no loss to me. But like i said the traxxas seem to be more durable. But i couldn't shell out that kinda $$$$$$ right at once. But over the last 3 weeks i am close to that. Doesnt seem right.

I am keeping the truck and i am bound and determend to use and have fun with it. I just dont want to be ordering parts everyday for it. that will get old real quick. Which is why i was so frustrated yesterday. I am not telling anyone not to buy redcat and i am not trying to bash them, but i still have hope that they will be able to get more dealers to sell their parts at more hobby shops. I would love to just drive 10 min's and get replacent parts. That would rock!!

Thank you for your help and guidance.I want to learn how all this stuff works and how to work on them and all that, but I guess i need to work on my patience. We'll see how the next few days go after i get the steering working again and get out there. Staying away from pavement and large rocks. We'll see how long it holds up this time. Thanks again.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well sorry if my post was a little ruff around the edges but your last response cleared it up. It sucks going thru this when you just want to go out and have fun. Believe me I understand about the parts issue. For me, my only avenue for parts is ebay or Redcat. Either way it's a 3-5 day wait. Because of this I try not to have "too much fun" with my trucks. Whenever I brake something and am dissapointed my wife asks me how much the part is. I always tell her 1 week. It's not the issue of breaking a $3.99 part, it's the point of breaking it on a sat, ordering it on the weekend and then it ships Mon or Tues and I'm lucky to have it by Fri or Sat.

I've been very lucky with my Redcats. My son's Caldra10E which I bought used has taken some bad hits "he's 9" and it rarely breaks. We've lost a spur gear, 1 set of front diff gears, a front bumper mount and early on I replaced the steering knuckles with aluminum because the plastic one's kept stripping. My Tornado S30 cracked two rims the first time I jumped it but since then has only stripped the first gear before I converted the 2 speed to a Volcano single speed. I just recently stripped the clutch bell after my throttle linkage screw came off the servo horn which resulted in the funniest runaway/chase scene you've ever seen. So 3 breakdowns since I got it in Oct. I just bought a Monsoon XTR in Jan and after a bad landing during some ramp jumps I broke the lower control arm pin holder which was kind of expected at the height we were jumping. This wasn't a big deal for the price which was around $5.00, but again I had to wait a week to get the parts. Then the worst part was after I got the part in and put on, I realized 2 teeth sheared off my steel spur gear, yup another week wait.

It's because of this that my parts selection here at the house is starting to rival some hobby shops. You wouldn't believe the stock of parts I now have on hand, but of course I still always manage to break the one I haven't bought yet.

This issue really made me think long and hard about buying the Monsoon. I was very close to buying a Revo just so I could get parts on the weekend locally but I just couldn't justify the cost difference. I won't argue the quality, the Revo is a battle tank but at almost $575 it's almost twice as much as my Monsoon. I will say I love the Monsoon, it's a beast. But again they don't run without parts. Luckily the Monsoon is a very heavy duty truck. If you have never seen one of Redcats pro series 1/8 th scale vehicle, you'd be amazed at how heavy duty they are compared to their 10th scale trucks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My patience with Redcat has come to an end. Some parts for some of their vehicles have been upgraded, yet the website fails to inform you. I bought a bunch of aluminum stuff, and the aluminum wheel hex's don't fit my model. They apologized for not updating their website as they are extremely busy. If you have the same car in 2 different versions as the newer model has been slightly updated, have a seperate page for that vehicle. It's not that hard to do. Other major competitors are just as busy if not busier, and ordering parts isn't as difficult.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I have been a victim of the "oh i broke this" and then after 4-7 days of waiting find out i broke another part and then down for another 4-7 days. So now if i break something, i take it apart and check every piced that is even close to that one and some that aren't just so i can get all the pieces at one time.

What you said about not playing that hard.......isn't that the point!?? We want to go out and drive these like we can't drive our real cars and trucks. I feel like a fool when my brothers are beating the hell outta their stuff and iam like "oh, i guess i shouldn't do that in case it breaks!" I don't like that feeling. Those are the only times when i truly regret buying it.

But i got it and now i need to make the best of it. Like i said, the steering stuff should be fixed today and i will get it out and we'll see how long it lasts this time. I am hopeful that nothing eats it!!!!

Hey Dad, your other post wasn't harsh. You were just calling it like you see it and yes, i was very frustrated when i typed most of that. And after some time to think about it, i did kinda embelish the problems with redcat. But i am going to try and stay a little more calm and be a little bit more patient. Hopefully they will get some of their parts outtages addressed in the near future. I hope.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, i got the steering fixed and got it out in the yard today. No dirt, just some grass driving. Had a few hits with a tree, but i got the TBR bumper and it seemed to really help. The truck just bounced off it and kept going. My neirghbor has a garden and i clipped just the edge of a large dirt clod and sent it kartwheeling for about 5-7 rotations. NOTHING BROKE!!!!! SHE HELD TOGETHER!!! I WAS SHOCKED!!!!! I ran the battery out twice with about 2 hours or so in between to let the battery cool down and then recharge it. Everything went fine......except one thing.....

One of the wheel nuts, the one i was complaining about in my other post IS STILL COMING LOOSE!!!!! I got a new set of blue ones from urchobby and they have tons of nylon in them to grip, but after about 20 minutes the wheel shot off!!! Surprisingly I found it back and put it back on. I thought if i got a new one it wouldn't come loose. But it is just that one. Kinda frustrating. So i put some loc tite on it and i am letting it sit until tomorrow and then i will run it again and see if it makes a difference. All of the other new blue ones stayed tight. Never need to be tightened. Just this one keeps coming loose. But i got new stub axles coming so maybe that will fix it. We'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to say that i had a good hour or so with it today and it took some fairly big spills and whatnot but kept on going!! pretty stoked about that!!! And if you haven't done it yet, get a lipo!! Stupid fast!!!! Wheelies all day long! I love it!!

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, i got the steering fixed and got it out in the yard today. No dirt, just some grass driving. Had a few hits with a tree, but i got the TBR bumper and it seemed to really help. The truck just bounced off it and kept going. My neirghbor has a garden and i clipped just the edge of a large dirt clod and sent it kartwheeling for about 5-7 rotations. NOTHING BROKE!!!!! SHE HELD TOGETHER!!! I WAS SHOCKED!!!!! I ran the battery out twice with about 2 hours or so in between to let the battery cool down and then recharge it. Everything went fine......except one thing.....

One of the wheel nuts, the one i was complaining about in my other post IS STILL COMING LOOSE!!!!! I got a new set of blue ones from urchobby and they have tons of nylon in them to grip, but after about 20 minutes the wheel shot off!!! Surprisingly I found it back and put it back on. I thought if i got a new one it wouldn't come loose. But it is just that one. Kinda frustrating. So i put some loc tite on it and i am letting it sit until tomorrow and then i will run it again and see if it makes a difference. All of the other new blue ones stayed tight. Never need to be tightened. Just this one keeps coming loose. But i got new stub axles coming so maybe that will fix it. We'll see.

Anyway, just wanted to say that i had a good hour or so with it today and it took some fairly big spills and whatnot but kept on going!! pretty stoked about that!!! And if you haven't done it yet, get a lipo!! Stupid fast!!!! Wheelies all day long! I love it!!

greg
    even if your axle stubs have some bad threads it's hard to figure out why your new nylon wheel nuts are coming loose. Let us know what you figure out, I'm stumped on this one!

I am never buying redcat I recently filed com[laint with bbb about their trucks using cheap plastic parts that break easy to con you into buying more expensive alum parts that's sucks I,m very much down on their retail fraud practices