Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado s30 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 AM
ricfuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado s30 upgrade

i wanna do this to my tornado!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53CvKg1YgPs

does anybody know what these shocks are. i believe they are traxxas, but i want to make sure i get the right ones that will fit. i also like the tires. does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM
rccrazer

Default RE: tornado s30 upgrade

slash wheels and tires, and they appear to be traxxas bugbore shocks, i've done it before,super simple, but i hate that the stearring get limited
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM
ricfuel

the shocks from the video really resemble the jato 3.3 shocks. but for those shocks the rear are longer than front. i wonder if that would cause any problems.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Scooter B

Hi, new to the site, just got my first nitro (s30) after messing with electrics since the late 1980's I want to do the same thing to my tornado. The stock wheels/tires just don't have enough rubber for me. Are those from a 1/16 slash or the 1/10 scale?? How much will it limit the steering?

Thanks Guys!
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Scooter B

After a little research, I think I figured this out. The 1/16 slash tires are smaller than the fronts on the Tornado. I wasn't sure since I have not seen a mini slash in person. Still wondering about the steering.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:28 AM
rccrazer

it limits the stterin quite a bit due to it wanting to grab and rub on the body. if rubber is what you want j concepts has some good alternatives to what you may want.

the 1/16 scale slahs wheels and tires are really more like 1/10 scale tourning car tires. in fact that's exactly what i use on my drift to rally conversions, on 1/10 onroad cars.

being the owner of a jato and a tornado, i can tell you right now that the rears are so long that they wont fit and alow you to drive properly. the fron'ts are a posibility, but their long stoke would make for an interesting ride. the slash fronts are what we use.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Scooter B

Can you trim the body to allow for the larger slash tire to function properly?
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM
rccrazer

it will still like to catch on the chassis if you want to make full use of the s30's turning radious. a wheel with more offeset may be more benificial, like those found on the losi SCTE.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rccrazer

it will still like to catch on the chassis if you want to make full use of the s30's turning radious. a wheel with more offeset may be more benificial, like those found on the losi SCTE.
Another thing that will help with clearance issues is replacing the Tornado's axle stubs with the longer Volcano stubs. This will let you use the double hexes that come on the Volcano which will give you some more clearance as well and help broaden your width a bit. The good thing is since all the parts are Redcat you can find the parts really cheap.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Scooter B

Thanks man. I already ordered the wheels and tires, before I readyour response,so looks like I'm all in. Ifound the Volcano axle stubs (08064) and the double hex's (08065) on ebay. I can save quite a bit if I order direct from "the source", just have to wait on shipping. (my LHS carries a TON of redcat parts, so I may just pick them up there) I wanted to include part numbers in case anyone is watching this thread and wants to follow along. I hope this will add some stability by widening the stance to compensate for the higher C.O.G.(guess I should have went with a truggy to staryt with)

Would you reccomend going with the new stubs and hex's on all 4 corners, or just in the front?
Old 03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Scooter B

Thanks man. I already ordered the wheels and tires, before I readyour response,so looks like I'm all in. Ifound the Volcano axle stubs (08064) and the double hex's (08065) on ebay. I can save quite a bit if I order direct from "the source", just have to wait on shipping. (my LHS carries a TON of redcat parts, so I may just pick them up there) I wanted to include part numbers in case anyone is watching this thread and wants to follow along. I hope this will add some stability by widening the stance to compensate for the higher C.O.G.(guess I should have went with a truggy to staryt with)

Would you reccomend going with the new stubs and hex's on all 4 corners, or just in the front?
I would put all 4 on. It seemed to help a lot with the narrow wheelbase. You said you save quite a bit by ordering direct? Fill me in. Maybe you know something I don't. I tend to only order from Redcat when I"m ordering multiple items, reason being is the minimum shipping via UPS is around $11.00. An example would be you might find front lower control arms for $3.99 for the Tornado from Redcat. On Ebay you might find them for $4.99 with free shipping. When you add the cost of Redcats shipping, it seems like it's never worth ordering a single item from them direct. Do you know a way of having Redcat ship cheaper? Here's a pic of my Tornado after I added the Volcano axles and hexes. I also pulled the 2 speed and added the Volcano tranny. 2.8 Proline dirt hawgs with Proline desperado rims.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71861.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	1738776  
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Scooter B

That's what I meant, order direct from China on Ebay.

I mounted up the slash wheels and tires on the s30 as is, I did some minor trimming on the body (front) to keep if from rubbing at full lock.  The tires can not touch the chassis in any way.  I'm happy with the way it came out, handles bumps and curbs much better.  Also looks much better.

How the hell do you attach a photo on this forum?  The only thing I see is to enter a URL.  Is there no way to browse and add attachment?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Dads like rc too

How the hell do you attach a photo on this forum? The only thing I see is to enter a URL. Is there no way to browse and add attachment?

Thanks.
I couldn't figure it out either. Nitrosports had to tell me how..I think you can only add a photo if you click quote or reply. When you do there will be a bar at the bottom of the screen that says click to add image or file. From there you can browse your files.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 AM
ricfuel

have we agreed on what kind of shocks we can stick on there?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Scooter B

Gotcha. Thanks for the help.

I still don't know about the shocks that were used in that vid. I lowered my shock position on the towers by one hole, set the shocks to the softest setting and she runs pretty good. With the new wheels, the car can not bottom out on flat ground like it did before. See my photos below. ( I used a drop of blue locktite on the wheels. Afrer my first run, I lost a rear wheel in the street, lucky for me it was right in front of me and I found the nut. I guess I didn't have them tight enough)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77705.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1739336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82321.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	1739337  
Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 AM
ricfuel

looks great!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 AM
ricfuel

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Thanks man. I already ordered the wheels and tires, before I read your response, so looks like I'm all in. I found the Volcano axle stubs (08064) and the double hex's (08065) on ebay. I can save quite a bit if I order direct from "the source", just have to wait on shipping. (my LHS carries a TON of redcat parts, so I may just pick them up there) I wanted to include part numbers in case anyone is watching this thread and wants to follow along. I hope this will add some stability by widening the stance to compensate for the higher C.O.G. (guess I should have went with a truggy to staryt with)

I would put all 4 on. It seemed to help a lot with the narrow wheelbase. You said you save quite a bit by ordering direct? Fill me in. Maybe you know something I don't. I tend to only order from Redcat when I"m ordering multiple items, reason being is the minimum shipping via UPS is around $11.00. An example would be you might find front lower control arms for $3.99 for the Tornado from Redcat. On Ebay you might find them for $4.99 with free shipping. When you add the cost of Redcats shipping, it seems like it's never worth ordering a single item from them direct. Do you know a way of having Redcat ship cheaper? Here's a pic of my Tornado after I added the Volcano axles and hexes. I also pulled the 2 speed and added the Volcano tranny. 2.8 Proline dirt hawgs with Proline desperado rims.
hey, dads like rc too,do the volcano wheel hex (08065) come with the necessary screws to attach to the axle stubs?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Scooter B

ORIGINAL: ricfuel

looks great!
Thanks! I'm really a truck guy, so it makes me feel better withsome meats on it.

IF I loose another dogbone, I'm going to upgrade to the CVD's. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Dads like rc too

Ricfuel, of course the screws.....do not come with the aluminum hexes. I have no idea what size they are but they're tiny. Lucky enough my LHS had them. I found them in the first bin I looked in, lucky me. .25 a piece though times 8. But at least I got it to work and I thought it was a great idea.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: ricfuel

have we agreed on what kind of shocks we can stick on there?
Sorry, didn't mean to jack your thread. I put Losi 810 shocks on mine. They don't use balljoints for the upper mounts though. You have to thru bolt them to the shock towers front and rear. The lowers screw mount just like the stock ones.