Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

glow plug included with shockwave?

this is my first time buying a nitro rc and i was wondering is the glowplug included with the shockwave or is it built in? since i see the starter kit comes with a glowplug charger and ignitor but, i dont' see any mention of the glowplug itself on the starter kit or even the shockwave, is it built in?

thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: glow plug included with shockwave?

Yes the glowplug will be included with the shockwave. The glowplug is like a spark plug and sits in the engines head. The igniter is used to heat the glowplug so it will fire when you start the engine.
    Here are some tips since you said this is your first nitro car.
    First off no matter how excited you may be DO NOT take it out of the box and fire it up. Bring it inside and check every nut, bolt, clip and fastener on it. Especially the wheel nuts. Blue loc tight every bolt that goes into metal. Check tightness on all screws that go into plastic. Do not torque on these screws. They will strip out. They should just feel snug or tight.
    Check your spur gear mesh. Hold the spur gear and rock the clutch bell with your other finger. It should just barely move, you should not hear a heavy clicking of it rocking between the gears. Once your mesh is right, back out the engine screws one at a time. Back them out just enough to drip a few drops of blue loc tight on and then tighten it back up.
    Don't forget to make sure your throttle linkage is on good or you will witness your brand new buggy on auto pilot.
    Adjust your exhaust so it is as low as possible away from the body. You will still have to trim the body a bit above the muffler since it will start to melt right away.
    Have a good understanding of what a pullstart feels like before you flood the engine for the first time. Before you even put fuel in it, pull it and feel the resistance. It's common to have to put some pressure on the car and hold it down when starting it, but if your yanking it out of your hand the engine is flooded and the next post you will be making is "my pullstart broke".
    These are some of the most important things to do before breaking in your car, it will be a great learning experience for you. I'm sure you will stumble along the way but this forum is great for helping people out with their problems. The shockwave is an excellent 1st nitro buggy. It's not too complicated to work on and the engine is easy to tune. In response to your other post, it should run depending on temp and tune about 34-38mph. I would also advise that unless you live near a hobby shop that stocks Redcat parts you may want to order a replacement spur gear at the minimum so you'll have one on hand.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the indepth reply! I'm not going to rush into it, going to try to do everything correctly. I've watched a couple youtube videos and I'm reading the instructions which states some of the things you mentioned. I'm going to go through your reply in detail as all this is new to me so I didn't understand some of the terminology but, I'll google for things and check youtube, hopefully I'll figure it out!

Thanks again!
    <embed style="left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px; position: fixed; display: block; " type="application/rf-np-plugin" id="Siber_embed1">

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

in the instructions it says I need "Air Filter Oil" is this any motor oil that I pick up at the automotive store? Also it says, "After Run Oil" but, I don't see anywhere it mentioning what to do with it, how to do it, it just says I need it in the "Things you will need before beginning". Is this the same type of oil as the "Air Filter Oil" ?

Thanks in advance
    <embed style="left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px; position: fixed; display: block; " type="application/rf-np-plugin" id="Siber_embed1">

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

both oil types you will find at your LHS, an auto parts store will not carry either of the above mentioned, the air filter oil you put on the foam inserts in your air cleaner, it helps absorb the finer particles of dirt and dust so it doesn't get into your carb, and then into your cylinder, after run oil, is a special oil used to keep your cylinder from rusting, after you are finished running, and your not gonna run it for a couple days, you should take your air cleaner off, then put a drop in your carb, also take your glow plug out and put a drop in the cylinder, then pull the pull start a couple time to lube everything up, and to add on to dads response earlier, a glowplug is similar to the glowplug you would find in a diesel motor, because like deisel a nitro motor fires on compression not ignition, so your normal car that you drive is a gas powered vehicle, it fires from a spark, nitro combusts from compression, make sure you get good quality 20% nitro with a higher oil content, especially for break in your want a higher oil content!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the reply, do you know which brands I should be looking for both of those types since I'm checking the lowes and home depot website but, I don't see these items. i'll go in person maybe they'll have it. i just hope they know what i'm talking about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well I went to Lowes neither had any but, I was told about a hobby shop close here so I went there and picked them up

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is certainly not the proper procedure but I've never used official after run oil in my engines.  I put 3 drops of simple 3n1 oil which can be found at any hardware store into the engine if I know it's going to be sitting for longer than 2 weeks.  The fuel has oil in it, I think somebody posted to do it if you were going to let it sit for a couple of days.  Personally I think this might be a little overkill but everyone has their own opinion.  Same goes for the air filter oil.  You can go buy special filter oil but simply coating the filter with some spray oil will do good for normal environments.  If your going to be at the track you will want the real stuff since the dust is very fine compared to what you will probably encounter elsewhere.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i hope i set the gear mesh correctly it took me a while to figure out how to get to it, i kept watching youtube videos over and over and the redcat video tutorials and instructions, i finally flipped it over and saw the spur through there and figured out how to get the piece of paper through the spur gear and clutch bell, took me a bit to even figure out what part is what. i was about to take a picture of it and post it on here for help lol

so i loosened those 4 screws that hold the engine and adjusted the engine until the clutch bell and spur were tight so if i move the spur gear the clutch bell should move with it correct? when it was far apart i was able to move the spur without the clutch bell moving so i figured this doesn't feel correct and thought the should be tight so that when i move the spur gear the clutch bell also moves and vice versa. is that correct?

when i was pulling out the piece of paper i saw the gear marks on the paper so that means it must be tight? it felt tight. the only thing is that in the instructions it said if you roll the car on the ground it should roll freely well i'm not sure what they mean by this i mean if i push it kind of rolls but doesn't go too far, is it supposed to just keep rolling without it stopping?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

"Hold the spur gear and rock the clutch bell with your other finger.  It should just barely move, you should not hear a heavy clicking of it rocking between the gears."

Yes if I hold it, barely moves if i let it go it will start moving.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes, hold the spur gear with one finger.  Push the spur until your finger has it wedged up against the tranny housing.  Now take the other finger and rock the clutch bell.  It should just slightly have movement.  You don't want it so tight that it has absolutely no play, but it shouldn't be loose where it has travel between the spur's teeth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, i tried to mess with it for a while i hope i got it right it's kind of hard to tell what 'slight movement' is in text i mean if i hold the spur and move the clutch bell the spur tries to move but, it can't since i'm holding it so it only moves enough because of my resistance on the spur. i could only get it like this or if i moved the engine away then the clutch and spur wouldn't be connected at all they would move independently, i tried a few times but, those are the only 2 ways i could it either they are connected together and it's tight or it doesn't seem to be connected at all

i also just did the loctie on all the screws that go into the metal that i could find at the bottom and top and made sure all screws going into plastic were tight. only thing is in the instructions it says to loctite the grub screws (also known as set screws) located on the center drive shaft. i don't know what the center drive shaft is, i can't tell from the image where it's supposed to be but, in the front and rear i see a box in the middle maybe that sounds like it has something to do with drive shaft these areas have screws going into metal so i put loctite on those but, anywhere else i don't see metal or and screws that i can get to. am i missing something? 

lastly a couple screws on the bottom that are in the metal couldn't come out i tried to unscrew them but, they just rotate in place wouldn't come out. but i was able to remove all the others and loctie those. same in the top of the vehicle there's a screw on one end in the shocks but, with the engine in the way i can't get to it and get the screwdriver into the screw but, the other one on the opposite end i was able to get to. i hope this is going to be ok.

it seems i'm almost done tomorrow i'll oil the air filter and continue the rest.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcenth

ok, i tried to mess with it for a while i hope i got it right it's kind of hard to tell what 'slight movement' is in text i mean if i hold the spur and move the clutch bell the spur tries to move but, it can't since i'm holding it so it only moves enough because of my resistance on the spur. i could only get it like this or if i moved the engine away then the clutch and spur wouldn't be connected at all they would move independently, i tried a few times but, those are the only 2 ways i could it either they are connected together and it's tight or it doesn't seem to be connected at all
    it seems i'm almost done tomorrow i'll oil the air filter and continue the rest.

Sorry but I can't really explain it the way I could show you but yes, when you turn the clutch bell it will turn the spur. What your shooting for is when you rock the clutch bell back and forth picture the tooth from the clutch bell between the teeth of the spur gear. If you tighten the clutch bell all the way into the spur gear, the gears will be in a bind. This is "tight mesh" The spur will wear out in minutes if not seconds. Now if you back the engine out too far picture the clutch bell teeth meshed between the spur gear teeth. They will have a lot of wiggle room between them if you hold one and move the other. This is "loose mesh" It will also wear out the gears although not as quick. You want that clutch bell teeth pushed into the spur where they just barely make contact. When you feel the play between them, it should be very minimal.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, no problem I understand, I wish there were some good videos online I couldn't get much help from the ones I found, I suppose would you happen to know of any? If not, I'll do more searching. Though I'm starting to understand more clearly what the goal is from your post and the purpose of doing this. I wish I could clearly see inside but, I don't know if I should remove the bottom plate to get a better view, I'm pretty much doing it blindly because of the plate in the way I can't see the teeth of the clutch bell. I barely figured out how to get the piece of  paper in there. I'll try to look more carefully tomorrow now that I don't understand how I'm supposed to be getting the clutch teeth pushed in where they barely make contact.

How long do these gears typically last? About how many runs? It sounds like they will wear out pretty quick so I suppose I need to get spares, do they both wear out or only the spur?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, no problem I understand, I wish there were some good videos online I couldn't get much help from the ones I found, I suppose would you happen to know of any? If not, I'll do more searching. Though I'm starting to understand more clearly what the goal is from your post and the purpose of doing this. I wish I could clearly see inside but, I don't know if I should remove the bottom plate to get a better view, I'm pretty much doing it blindly because of the plate in the way I can't see the teeth of the clutch bell. I barely figured out how to get the piece of paper in there. I'll try to look more carefully tomorrow now that I don't understand how I'm supposed to be getting the clutch teeth pushed in where they barely make contact.
    How long do these gears typically last? About how many runs? It sounds like they will wear out pretty quick so I suppose I need to get spares, do they both wear out or only the spur?

No, you don't need to remove anything but the body. Checking it by feel is all you need. Reach down and hold the top of the spur gear were it comes out of the tranny. Hold the spur in place by having your finger on the tranny housing and the spur gear at the same time. Now you can rock the clutch bell with your other finger. The movement should be so little that you almost wonder if it's moving at all. But it should be giving you some indication that it's not bound up. You won't need to do the paper adjustment after setting it up like this. Believe it or not if the mesh is right the spur gear will last months. Just remember to shut down your car if it takes a good hit and check your mesh. The most common way to chew up a spur gear is after you've hit something,the engine moves slightly which tightens up the mesh. Then you'll learn what a stripped spur gear sounds like. But considering how cheap they are, it's not a bad idea to have 1 or 2 laying around. Don't forget you have 2 of them on the Tornado's 2 speed tranny.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can not take the bottom plate off, or you wont be able to adjust anything, i have had a tornado s30 for about a year now and i am still on the original spur, it all depends on how well you set them, like dads said if its too tight it will strip as soon as you give the car any throttle at all, i have a spare for each of my cars, i would not get a steel spur because the dont flex like a plastic one does

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is this a correct way to tell if it's setup correctly if I put the piece of paper through the gear and if it doesn't tear the paper and the teeth marks are visible that it's set correctly? that's what it said in a redcat tutorial video on setting the gear mesh but, I saw another youtube video and the person was setting it based on the sound of the gear, he said he has found the paper method to not be accurate.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The paper is meant to set the proper clearance, not guage the wear. You place the paper between the gears then adjust the clutch so it crushes the paper. You don't push the clutch in with all your might, just run the engine in until the clutch has the paper wedged tight between itself and the spur. Then run the torn up paper out of the gears. Supposedly this will be the proper clearance between the two gears. Your just about doing the same thing if you slide the clutch bell all the way in, then just slightly bump it back. You should be very close at this point. Don't spend days trying to figure it out. Your going to be replacing the spur sooner or later. Do your best to adjust it properly, then try it out. After you take it apart a few times you will get the hang of it.. Also those screw you mentioned earlier that just spun in the front of the chassis were your steering link screws. They are meant to do that. Also when I first advised you to loctite all screws that go into metal I meant screws that screw into metal parts. From your past post I took it to understand that you loctited screws that go into your chassis. If that's what you did, the screws themselves are not going into metal. They are going thru the metal chassis and are screwing into plastic. You should not loctite these screws until they have started to strip out. It's ok if you did but once you loctite plastic pieces it's difficult to use them again since the threads have been damaged.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, thanks I'll check out the spur one last time and this week i'll pick up some spares just incase. well i did notice the part about only to put loctite on screws that go into metal, so that's the only parts that i tried. i don't know if there are screws that go through the metal and then into plastic is that what you were saying? on the underside of the car and on the top side whereever there's the purple metal plate those are all the screws i put loctite on. then in the top of the car there are some screws that go into black i thought this was the plastic. was this correct?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok, thanks I'll check out the spur one last time and this week i'll pick up some spares just incase. well i did notice the part about only to put loctite on screws that go into metal, so that's the only parts that i tried. i don't know if there are screws that go through the metal and then into plastic is that what you were saying? on the underside of the car and on the top side whereever there's the purple metal plate those are all the screws i put loctite on. then in the top of the car there are some screws that go into black i thought this was the plastic. was this correct?
    good, it sounds like I just misunderstood your post. Yes, the screws that go thru metal plates and into plastic pieces should just be checked for tightness. Screws that go into metal like the engine mount would be loctighted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i think i got it now, when i came in today and i was looking at the car and i was turning the spur and it was rough like in the middle it would feel like its getting stuck so i think i had it  too tight. yesterday i was kind of saying to myself as long as the gears are connected then whats the problem but, after reading your posts i understood the importance and what the goal was then i watched more youtube videos.

so today i was able to see both gears through the plate, yesterday i couldn't see the clutch bell gear, i was able to see how if i pulled the engine too far that the gear wouldn't spin and if i got it too close and tried to move the spur it felt rough or like it was getting caught, i could visually see trying to get the teeth to barely touch. at one point when i put one of the screws in it moved and became tight so i had to unscrew and go slowly and then i seem to have got it, it's smoother now if i rotate the spur it doesn't have that feeling like its getting caught or rough and if i hold the spur and move the other gear then i can see it moving just barely between the teeth. 

yesterday i didn't even have an eye on that gear i thought the metal part was the clutch bell i couldn't tell from the instructions but, anyway hope i  got it,  now to move on to the next step!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

good, it sounds like I just misunderstood your post. *Yes, the screws that go thru metal plates and into plastic pieces should just be checked for tightness. *Screws that go into metal like the engine mount would be loctighted.
    oh oops, i see what you're saying now i think i did end up putting loctite on screws going into the black/plastic then, i didn't realize that i figured anything going through the metal plate itself needs to be loctite

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

wow finally did my first start! it took me a few times wasn't sure if i was doing something incorrectly or if the glow plug was actually charged (charged it for 8 hrs but the light on my power adaptor doesn't go off when it's fully charged) then i wasn't sure if i was pushing down to hard on the glow plug and going to break it, trying to start it with one hand and pushing down on the glow plug with the other took a little bit of getting used to but,  i was sure not to pull it too far, saw the videos etc. and so it kept starting and then turning off, i started messing with the throttle a little bit on the remote and now it has stayed on, going to let it sit and use up the entire tank then i should be ready to start breaking in the engine.

i'm not too sure on where the high speed needle should be, according to the redcat tutorial it should be rich when first starting it, and letting it run for the first tank, i'm not sure if i'm supposed to let it run like that through engine break in as well or just for this first start i'm also not sure on what the correct setting will be, how many turns to get to where it needs to be or how i can tell if it's at the correct setting i suppose i'm just going to guess and put it back around the middle where it was orignally

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok nevermind i see in the tutorial to keep it at rich during break-in process, going to continue go through this

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok nevermind i see in the tutorial to keep it at rich during break-in process, going to continue go through this
    I've found that both my SH engines were able to run all the break in tanks with the engine very rich. Some engines will just sputter out when your trying to break them in with the HSN set that rich, so you have to lean them out a bit. But my SH .18 and .28 both ran all break in tanks no problem with the HSN blowing fuel everywhere. What you want to remember is when your on your 3rd tank you want the engine to be getting up to temp. The sleave needs to expand and contract. Don't just putter it around. If you can't get the engine up to 195-210 degrees you may have to turn in your HSN a bit. If you don't have a temp guage, feel the motor at idle once it's warm as a reference. This is what a cool engine feels like. Now when your running it, you should be able to put your finger on the top of the head and feel it very warm but not hot "meaning you can't leave your finger on it for more than a second".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast