Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

avalanche trx needles

Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
heathen76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default avalanche trx needles

alright got my red cat broke in .its the m.28 p3 as all ways my brother got to messing with the needles and now it dosent want to run .called redcat and they said 3 turns on high and low needle. tried for a min but not much luck it wanted to iddle real high and die right off. any suggestions and iam gonna get some new glow plugs tommorow should i get hot or cold plugs .help please factory needle settings
Old 03-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Dads like rc too

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: avalanche trx needles

If you look thru a lot of these posts you'll see many different answers to this question but since you actually talked to Redcat I'd go with what they said.  If all else fails bring your HSN back out until it's flush or just a little beyond flush with the sleave it's in.  Back out the LSN untill it's flush and then go in about 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn for starters.  Make sure your carb gap is set from your idle adjustment.  Pull your glowplug and test it before starting.  Your engine should fire up and at least run at idle and maybe very minimal throttle this way.  Once you get it started it'll be no big deal to get it dialed in.  Just start turning in on the HSN about 1/8 turn increments until your getting good top end out of it again, then adjust the LSN.  Let the fuel load up in the bottom of the engine for 15-20 seconds then test your full throttle acceleration.  If it's choking or sputtering leaving the line, turn in the LSN until it's leaving the line right.  You can also pinch the fuel line.  If it takes less than 3 seconds to start running lean and wanting to stall then the LSN is in too far.  If it takes longer than 3-4 seconds it's out too far.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Scooter B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll second that.  I'm new to the nitro scene but  I just went through this same process with my Tornado....now it's running like a champ.  I can't get over how fast this little car is!  Nothing like the old brushed electrics with ni-cad batteries from back in the day!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
heathen76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks dlrct actually got it back up and going to day .the 3 and 3 that the red cat rep said was a bit off the avalanche was a real pain to get started almost felt like my arm was going to fall off from pulling so much .os i went with what you had said 3/4 on the low and it finally started up got the high almost right where it needs to be .seceond time around it took a min to start but much eaiser than the first .turned in the low some more .even better on the third .still need to get the lsn down some because it is hesitant on the take off for two split seceonds but i will say that thing is a beast . right now wot for about 3 full sec its probally hitting 50 or 50 easy altho i dont do that very much cause i know its not good for the motor .now to just get the lsn tuned in just rigt for the take off and iam set .red cat said their safe to run at around 235 to 240 being the safe zone on their big blocks what would your in put be on the temps to be safe
Old 03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Dads like rc too

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: heathen76

.red cat said their safe to run at around 235 to 240 being the safe zone on their big blocks what would your in put be on the temps to be safe
that's dead on for temp. My .28 runs great between 235 and 250. You'll be able to smell when it's too hot. Usually around 265-275. These SH engnes are tough, ocasionally overheating them isn't going to cook them right away. I've run my SH .18 and .28 on the high end with no problems. I can't say the same for my HPI .18 engine. Very tempermental with the tuning and very unforgiving with running hot.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 AM
heathen76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thats good news for me then .couple people tried to tell me only around 210 but thats the temp i broke it in at .more running to day st see if i can get this beast dialed in and thanks you for the help.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Dads like rc too

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: heathen76

thats good news for me then .couple people tried to tell me only around 210 but thats the temp i broke it in at .more running to day st see if i can get this beast dialed in and thanks you for the help.
well you have to understand that when you ask for advice on these threads much of it is opinion. My opinion of engine temp is wrong if you check with Redcat or the book. Personally my SH engines run great in the 245-250 range. It's my experience that these motors can handle that no problem. When my HPI motor gets near 250 it doesn't like it at all. It's amazing how Redcats rep is so bad, I took apart my SH .28 the other day to replace the one way bearing and you wouldn't believe the difference between the inside of the engine compared to the HPI. The SH engine looks like a race engine inside the way they ported the crank for flow compared to the chunky machining of the HPI engine. I would have no problem using a SH engine as a replacement for any manufactures engines if price has anything to do with it.

Search this Thread