Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Returning to hobby and undecided

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Bluetheron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to hobby and undecided

I'm returning to the hobby after about a 15 year absence and I am looking for a basher and sometimes track star. I am going to moth ball my 1992 RC10 for good after i replace all the brittle and broken nylon parts. My 10y/o son has a new brushed stadium truck and I am looking for something to run with myself. The brushless tornado origionally caught my eye but now I'm looking at one of he flavors of the Caldera 10e. I like the look of the SCT but that class is way too popular around here. I contacted my local Redcat ( www.racewayhobbiez.com ) dealer and he suggested the Caldera XB 10e. They plan on opening a track this summer and having a Redcat specific class. Just looking for some opinions. I saw the review on the exceed infinitive and was wondering if the Caldera suffered from the same suspension binding issue.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Returning to hobby and undecided

I bought a Caldera 10e monster truck for my then 8 year old.  It's held up very well.  The only real weakness I've found was the front steering knuckles.  After stripping out the plastic knuckles I bought the aluminum replacements.  Since then "which was last oct" it's had very minimal down time.  Stripped the front diff gears in Nov and just this weekend the rear diff gears.  All in all for the price, I don't think you'll find anything else that will compete with it.  Also it's not bad in the speed dept either.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 PM
jaturner

Caldera 10E would be my suggestion as well. Dads summed up everything you need to know about it.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 AM
bigblueford

Personally I like the Caldera 10e MT. It built stronger than the Volcano and holds up really well. If you're more into buggy type vehicle then the Tornado is the way to go. They're pretty tough also.

Both have aluminunm upgrade parts available.

I also have the Twister. It can handle 3s Lipo but it gets crazy to handle with 3s. It goes pretty good with 2s, but 3s makes it a bear to handle.