Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

RedCat Spur Gear? Steel Spur Gear vs. Plastic Spur Gear? Pic Inside?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

RedCat Spur Gear? Steel Spur Gear vs. Plastic Spur Gear? Pic Inside?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 PM
deathzreap3r760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RedCat Spur Gear? Steel Spur Gear vs. Plastic Spur Gear? Pic Inside?

Hi there,

I was wondering which would be better to use. The teeth on the Spur Gear got stripped and I need a new one. I don't really know which to get because I can't seem to find another plastic Spur Gear except the Steel Spur Gear that Redcat has on their website. I've also tried other sites such as eBay and they only have steel but not sure which the correct part I need.
I have the Caldera 3.0 if that helps. Here is the photo of the broken Spur Gear.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20713.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1738221   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99708.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1738222  
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RedCat Spur Gear? Steel Spur Gear vs. Plastic Spur Gear? Pic Inside?

http://www.redcatracing.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2252/.f

Old 03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
deathzreap3r760

Default RE: RedCat Spur Gear? Steel Spur Gear vs. Plastic Spur Gear? Pic Inside?

Would you happen to know if any other brands of Spur Gears will work or only Redcat products?
I found other 39Ts on eBay and they are dirt cheap, like $3 a piece.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
rccrazer

i would stick with the plastic. it's less expencive, and it's going to be a lot easier on you. the steel has a bad temper with people who have mistakes happen, and we all have them, and though it doesn't strip, it eats cluchbells, melts clutch shoes and causes other strange issues. i work in a redcat dealing hobbyshop, and this is common, most people had a jar in the tranny after a jump, or a fast taken bump. it takes lots of practise to be a pro jumper. it also looks like your mesh was a smigen tight.

i have been doing this for 8 years my first car was a redcat tornado epx. and i still have it and it's old A.M. radio too. so don't get discuraged. now with a 13 car aresenal 3 of witch being nitros and my hobbyshops redcat guy, that's my 2 cents.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
Bogues1

I have a caldera 3.0, It just stopped turning, and I noticed that there are teeth missing on the spur gear.  I am new to the hobby, was wondering if the spur gear could cause the truck not to turn or if that is another problem all together? Any help his highly appreciated
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Jjm3

Yup , stick with the plastic one , I just bought the gear slipper assembly complete from URC hobby for under $8 bucks I think . It's about a ten min fix ,and your not messing up you diffs or anything down the line more expensive . I have the Volcano s30 and the Aftershock 3.5 . Redcat Rocks
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend staying with the plastic.  I have different models with both steel and plastics spur gears, and like what was already mentioned, you'll wind up buying clutch bells or other more expensive parts.  Stick with the plastic, set your mesh up right and keep an extra spur in the parts box.