Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

I am in need of a glow plug, preferably a hot glow plug since I run 20% nitro. I had the HSP Hot Glow Plug 70117H and its good but lookin to see if there are any others that are better or will work best with my nitro fuel and .18 sh engine. Any recommendations are welcome.
    I'm really in need of Glow Plugs as I can't use my RC.
    Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

I know Redcat recommends a hot plug but I run an O.S. medium in my .18.  I also run 20 percent.  The engine still screams and I think the plug tends to last a little longer.  Also the O.S. plugs are about $1.50 cheaper at my LHS than other brands.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The plug you run really depends on your nitro content if you run 30% nitro you will want to run a colder plug then if you run 20% nitro then use a hot plug. It will have nothing at all to do with the temps of the engine the colder plug will have thicker coil wire in the plug then the hot and thats why a colder plug will last longer then a hot plug.
    Team Anaconda R/C Racing
    http://www.teamanaconda.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

I know Redcat recommends a hot plug but I run an O.S. medium in my .18. I also run 20 percent. The engine still screams and I think the plug tends to last a little longer. Also the O.S. plugs are about $1.50 cheaper at my LHS than other brands.
    How long do medium glow plugs last? I plan to just purchase at least 4.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited

The plug you run really depends on your nitro content if you run 30% nitro you will want to run a colder plug then if you run 20% nitro then use a hot plug. It will have nothing at all to do with the temps of the engine the colder plug will have thicker coil wire in the plug then the hot and thats why a colder plug will last longer then a hot plug.
    I did run a hot glow plug in my last run but I don't have any spare. Would a medium glow plug work fine or should I just stay with hot glow plugs and buy a bunch?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i personally run 20% nitro and a medium glow in my tornado s30 and volcano s30 all year round, but in my monsoon xtr i run 25% nitro, and in the summer i run a cold plug, and in the winter i run a medium plug