Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
deathzreap3r760

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

I am in need of a glow plug, preferably a hot glow plug since I run 20% nitro. I had the HSP Hot Glow Plug 70117H and its good but lookin to see if there are any others that are better or will work best with my nitro fuel and .18 sh engine. Any recommendations are welcome.
I'm really in need of Glow Plugs as I can't use my RC.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow Plug Recommendations? Cold vs. Hot?

I know Redcat recommends a hot plug but I run an O.S. medium in my .18.  I also run 20 percent.  The engine still screams and I think the plug tends to last a little longer.  Also the O.S. plugs are about $1.50 cheaper at my LHS than other brands.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:39 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug you run really depends on your nitro content if you run 30% nitro you will want to run a colder plug then if you run 20% nitro then use a hot plug. It will have nothing at all to do with the temps of the engine the colder plug will have thicker coil wire in the plug then the hot and thats why a colder plug will last longer then a hot plug.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
deathzreap3r760

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

I know Redcat recommends a hot plug but I run an O.S. medium in my .18. I also run 20 percent. The engine still screams and I think the plug tends to last a little longer. Also the O.S. plugs are about $1.50 cheaper at my LHS than other brands.
How long do medium glow plugs last? I plan to just purchase at least 4.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 AM
deathzreap3r760

ORIGINAL: rchobbyunlimited

The plug you run really depends on your nitro content if you run 30% nitro you will want to run a colder plug then if you run 20% nitro then use a hot plug. It will have nothing at all to do with the temps of the engine the colder plug will have thicker coil wire in the plug then the hot and thats why a colder plug will last longer then a hot plug.
I did run a hot glow plug in my last run but I don't have any spare. Would a medium glow plug work fine or should I just stay with hot glow plugs and buy a bunch?

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 AM
carslover

i personally run 20% nitro and a medium glow in my tornado s30 and volcano s30 all year round, but in my monsoon xtr i run 25% nitro, and in the summer i run a cold plug, and in the winter i run a medium plug