Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

What are your HSN/LSN settings for Shockwave?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

What are your HSN/LSN settings for Shockwave?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What are your HSN/LSN settings for Shockwave?

ORIGINAL: KC Hobbies

No totally agree but reliability doesn't necessarily come down to just engine temps my cars are soaring in temps not just cause of the heat but I run far beyond safe limits even on my electric cars I'm making water cooled systems for the esc's but when it comes to somebody else's cars always recommend basic specs I have an sh .21 that gets way up in temps hot enough melts things but that's also changing the nitro ratios and less oil and motor has lasted for about a year now but I'm also an rc dealer so I push limits far beyond to know what the products I sell are capable of lasting for someone else that purchases them from me...
I don't disagree about recommending safe limits, but 210-215 degrees these engines run like dog doo "just my opinion". I think the factory recommended temps are in the 230 degree range.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:33 PM
KC Hobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you look in the manuals they actually state those exact temps but once again variables to weather, elevation etc if want it to get technical it don't matter what temp your engine is at to make it scream I can start one up and make it scream cold if wanted too its all how your settings are set between low speed and high speed... Not here to make arguement about it everyone can be right just offering my 2 cents and my recommendation you can take a real car to a multiple mechanics and all will prob give diff answers to do it doesn't mean they are wrong just means they do things differently or experienced something that worked great in their experience

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

No totally agree but reliability doesn't necessarily come down to just engine temps my cars are soaring in temps not just cause of the heat but I run far beyond safe limits even on my electric cars I'm making water cooled systems for the esc's but when it comes to somebody else's cars always recommend basic specs I have an sh .21 that gets way up in temps hot enough melts things but that's also changing the nitro ratios and less oil and motor has lasted for about a year now but I'm also an rc dealer so I push limits far beyond to know what the products I sell are capable of lasting for someone else that purchases them from me...
I don't disagree about recommending safe limits, but 210-215 degrees these engines run like dog doo "just my opinion". I think the factory recommended temps are in the 230 degree range.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Dads like rc too

Ok, well sorry if I came off the wrong way but I'm not saying your wrong...in fact I can tell you according to Redcat my numbers would be wrong. Just that to me, the good thing about this forum is getting good advise from people with experience in what their responding to. I just personally thought the numbers you posted were textbook and wouldn't really provide much performance. But this is backing up your example of bringing a real car to several different mechanics. I guess I should have just said in the beginning that I like to run my engines a little hotter. I could see how my post may have read like I was trying to correct you. I apologize if it came off that way.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
KC Hobbies

No worries have read a lot of your posts and like a lot of your responses... So no biggie anyone ever here any trying to port out one of these motors? I would be interested in trying to do it if it works in theory or at least if it's worth the hassle
Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Dads like rc too

No worries have read a lot of your posts and like a lot of your responses... So no biggie anyone ever here any trying to port out one of these motors? I would be interested in trying to do it if it works in theory or at least if it's worth the hassle
I think if your bored on a Sunday and all your cars are down, this would be a good time to get the dremel out and port your engine. Don't get me wrong, if 10ths of a second are what your looking for then go for it. But if you just want to make it go fast, be creative. Swap carbs out, change your needles with other manufactures. Fine tune your linkage and get your carb fully open at full throttle. There are a ton of little things that make these little engines go faster. Porting is one of them, just my opinion it's not worth the time for what you might achieve.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:52 PM
KC Hobbies

True I know a lot of hpi parts fit a lot of these trucks never thought about changing carbs though not a bad idea... I actually got a .28 motor laying around I wanna see if I can fit all else fails brake out the tig
Old 03-30-2012, 02:48 AM
Dads like rc too

True I know a lot of hpi parts fit a lot of these trucks never thought about changing carbs though not a bad idea... I actually got a .28 motor laying around I wanna see if I can fit all else fails brake out the tig
Now to me, that would be fun and worth the effort. Of course most of the big blocks are slide carb so servo placement is always a challenge. I wonder if Redcats upgraded diffs would hold up to the torque? I use them in my HPI MT2 and they've worked out fine. From what I've been able to find out, the .21 engines are more of a drop in replacement for the .18 "minus the slide carb issue". It's kind of like a big block with a small block frame.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:21 AM
KC Hobbies

If you get the metal Diffs they hold just fine running 150a brushless esc 6000kv motor with a 9000mah 11.1v 3 cell maxamps battery in my twister xtg and it shredded all plastic but as soon as went to metal worked fine love the car capable of 65+ guaranteed even at full speed can tap throttle and will pull a wheelie but that's a diff thread lol and ya but when you can fabricate can do anything I would assume most redcats stuff interchangeable it has been so far most chassis based on similar designs very happy customer and dealer for them along with other manufactures I receive daily

Now to me, that would be fun and worth the effort. Of course most of the big blocks are slide carb so servo placement is always a challenge. I wonder if Redcats upgraded diffs would hold up to the torque? I use them in my HPI MT2 and they've worked out fine. From what I've been able to find out, the .21 engines are more of a drop in replacement for the .18 "minus the slide carb issue". It's kind of like a big block with a small block frame.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
rcenth

well i found out what the problem was with the steering, it was since the left dogbone is missing, must've fell off somewhere during a run. going to order the replacement and try to replace it, any tips on how to replace it? never done it before would i have to dissasemble the entire wheel or something? i'll have to take a good look at it, i didn't even know it was missing until somebody pointed it out
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
kchobbies

no you can usually just un-bolt the top bolt on the knuckle and replace them is how i do it and if dont mind me asking where ordering from i have quite a few on hand i can sell you...
ORIGINAL: rcenth

well i found out what the problem was with the steering, it was since the left dogbone is missing, must've fell off somewhere during a run. going to order the replacement and try to replace it, any tips on how to replace it? never done it before would i have to dissasemble the entire wheel or something? i'll have to take a good look at it, i didn't even know it was missing until somebody pointed it out
Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
kchobbies

be like 3.50 for a set of 2 plus shipping
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
rcenth

I'm also a redcat dealer (sell locally not online) so I have a dealer account but, appreciate the offer that's a fair deal pretty close to cost.

(as you can tell I'm new to this hobby, we were actually selling rc toys initially and just got into nitro recently, so that's why I have to ask these things as i'm very new to this)
Old 04-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: kchobbies

no you can usually just un-bolt the top bolt on the knuckle and replace them is how i do it and if dont mind me asking where ordering from i have quite a few on hand i can sell you...

I don't think with the pivot ball suspension control arm that you can un-bolt the knuckle. I believe you have to un-screw both the upper and lower pivot ball screws from the control arm. If you try to just take one off, the steering knuckle will tilt and bind your Allen wrench. So Rcenth, I would say to replace it you first take the wheel off, then loosen the upper and lower pivot ball screws that go into the upper and lower control arms from the steering knuckles. You can just back them out enough to slip the new dog bone into place. Remember to add a tiny piece of fuel tubing to both the inner and outer cups that the doggone goes into. This will keep the dog bone from slopping around and falling out.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
kchobbies

most the redcats you can actually do that with i go through dogbones like crazy on the twister xtg pro and just unbolt the upper part of the knuckle and slide them like said USUALLY you can but i also got a lot of tools to use being a prior auto mechanic and fabricator... and your welcome and i know close to cost i got alot of parts being a hobby shop as well but do alot online as well

ORIGINAL: kchobbies

I don't think with the pivot ball suspension control arm that you can un-bolt the knuckle. I believe you have to un-screw both the upper and lower pivot ball screws from the control arm. If you try to just take one off, the steering knuckle will tilt and bind your Allen wrench. So Rcenth, I would say to replace it you first take the wheel off, then loosen the upper and lower pivot ball screws that go into the upper and lower control arms from the steering knuckles. You can just back them out enough to slip the new dog bone into place. Remember to add a tiny piece of fuel tubing to both the inner and outer cups that the doggone goes into. This will keep the dog bone from slopping around and falling out.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM
rcenth

got it, thanks! i wonder if there's anything else i could use besides fuel tubing, the hose that's connected to the exhaust is already short enough as it is because it once came off and i think it was touching a hot spot and melted at a certain point so i had to cut it off and barely got it on there completely. lesson learned i now prime covering the exhaust instead of taking that hose off and blowing air into it. i think by me taking it off in the past i must not have put it on securely enough that it slipped off.

anyway they're going to send me 2 since you have to purchase it in a pair so i guess if it comes off again then i have an extra plus they're really cheap so i guess it's not that big of a deal but, of course if i could prevent going through this dilemma over and over would be preferred. 

<embed style="left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px; position: fixed; display: block; " type="application/rf-np-plugin" id="Siber_embed1"></embed>
Old 04-11-2012, 12:26 PM
rcenth

well the other day I was trying to guage the engine temp. i got that small blue traxxas temp. guage if you know which one i'm referring to where it has that wire that you loop around the engine block. well after letting the engine warm up i couldn't even get it past around 190 degrees so that means the engine is too rich? when i would try to lean out the HSN anywhere past about 2.5 turns it would feel like when I try to squeeze to max throttle like it's not kicking to full throttle and RPM not increasing, kind of difficult to explain it's something you can feel. When I would richen it back out to around 2.5 then it would give that kick when you go to full throttle or you can feel it accelerating. 

So does that mean that my LSN could be too rich? since I kept it default setting so I'm going to have to start messing with this if the HSN is giving me issues when trying to lean it out correct? Maybe I need to lean out LSN more than the HSN will respond to leaning out? Then maybe my temps will start going up? Since it feels like my fuel is burning too quickly I don't think it's lasting even 10 min. I think maybe 5-8 min. I don't know why it's responding like that when I try to lean it out. On my previous shockwave(s) I have been able to lean out HSN to 3-4 turns in but, I can't seem to get it past 2.5. So I'm going to start leaning out LSN now and then try to lean out HSN and see if that helps, is this the correct approach?

thanks
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM
kchobbies

Hey if can give me a call at 520-252-5221 I can help explain some basic set ups and a lot easier way to tune your car
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM
rcenth

ok that sounds good, i'll have my rc with me on friday it will be easier for me to understand if i'm infront of it so i can call you then if that's ok

btw i replaced the dogbone really easily, i removed the wheel and then the rod that's connected to the top knuckle i just took that off and there was enough room for the dogbone to slip in. 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 PM
kchobbies

Thats what ifigured most you can do that with... to replace the dogbones that is...

and that is oerfectly fine with me just easier to explain in voice than text can explain how to set up to optimal standards not just OE like said before if ever have any questions feel free to bug me either PM, email, or call be glad to help out fellow members and followers

ok that sounds good, i'll have my rc with me on friday it will be easier for me to understand if i'm infront of it so i can call you then if that's ok
btw i replaced the dogbone really easily, i removed the wheel and then the rod that's connected to the top knuckle i just took that off and there was enough room for the dogbone to slip in.