Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

screw came lose from shockwave not sure where it goes

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

screw came lose from shockwave not sure where it goes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM
rcenth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: screw came lose from shockwave not sure where it goes

lol of course after i take pics and everything, i just tried it again and the screw went through this time, i wonder if there's oil or something inside that's making it get stuck hope i can get the other screw through
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM
rcenth

well i got the other screw in with it off but, now i'm trying to connect everything back together and i think it went in a bit more but, they aren't going all the way in, they have gotten tight again not sure if my hex driver is not getting a good grip, do you know what size hex driver it should be? i've attached pics, or you think i should try to add 2 or 3 of the gaskets? are there going to be any problems if i just run it like this besides oil spewing everywhere? this is taking a lot of work and effort to put those two screws in, or else it seems i have to remove everything again and try again and it's a pain trying to mess with these screws through the little space i have, unless i guess i need to remove the engine?

<embed style="left: 0px; top: 0px; width: 0px; height: 0px; position: fixed; display: block; " type="application/rf-np-plugin" id="Siber_embed1"></embed>
Old 04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
lakesrunner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will cause all kinds of tuning issues if you don't get it tight. Don't use more than 1 gasket. Possibly try to spray the hole with an air compressor or can of air. Even if a few grains of sand are in there, it will stop the screw in it's tracks.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
rcenth

ok i'll try that, i guess i have to redo everything again. any advise on what type hex driver i should be using? should i remove the entire engine block? it's a real pain getting to these screws.

also i've been trying to start it for the past hour or so and cannot get it to start at all, since the fuel was being used up in about 5-8 minutes i tried to mess with needles more while it was off and since then it won't start at all, i checked glow plug and the ignitor is lighting it so both must be ok but, just want start. i don't think it can be flooded since the starter is really easy to pull than usual. maybe it's because i was running it with the manifold not tight and it has screwed something up i'm not sure. well i guess i'll get back to the manifold for now.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:50 PM
lakesrunner

I've used smaller hex keys in that area. It's tricky and takes a while sometimes. Make sure they are of good quality, if you strip a screw it'stough to get it out. Was maybe going to mention try cleaning the hole with an engine cleaner if the air don't work.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM
rcenth

i tried the air compressor but, the thing is that i removed it again completely and i'm looking inside and it does look like the threading is screwed up, is it possible it melted or did the screws mess it up? i tried to take pics but, i can't get it to focus but, in both holes it looks like there's a spot where the threading is messed up. i guess i need to get a new manifold the thing is that if i put the screws through them without it connected to the engine they go in fine like I said I tried earlier but, when it's connected to the engine it won't go through it because of the pressure or tightness or something it won't do it through the engine? or maybe i have to keep trying it different ways and it will eventually go through? like first it wasn't going through on it's own either until I tried a few times and it finally did
Old 04-14-2012, 01:57 PM
rcenth

finally got it lol it's in connected tight now screws went all the way in, no gap. damn that was difficult i was about to give up i've been working on it for about 5 hours now lol this time i put both screws in as far as they would go into the engine area and then put the manifold on and held it tight up against it and screwed in the screws. at first i was connecting the manifold to the engine first and then putting the screws through the engine not sure if that made any difference in how i did it now or just coincidence
Old 04-14-2012, 03:15 PM
lakesrunner

Good to hear you got it together. Send some pics of it running here. Thinking of buying a Shockwave myself soon.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:14 PM
rcenth

ok will do, this is my first nitro it's really addicting lol i'm majorly bummed out though lately, where I run this at my shop it's at a flea market i got complaints because i was running it too fast and now i'm not allowed to run it at all it's so boring there now and I sell RC's it's effecting my sales people used to get really into it when I used to run it, I used to get crowds of people standing by and coming into the store, now it's back to nothing basically. so the only time i can run it as at home and it doesn't feel the same as running it front of customers and people that are seeing it for the first time, people would get really amazed. i mean i guess it was dangerous for me to run it there especially fast, there are little kids walking around but, it's just difficult for me to be understanding of it lol when i bring it back home on monday i'll take pics of it then.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: rcenth

ok will do, this is my first nitro it's really addicting lol i'm majorly bummed out though lately, where I run this at my shop it's at a flea market i got complaints because i was running it too fast and now i'm not allowed to run it at all it's so boring there now and I sell RC's it's effecting my sales people used to get really into it when I used to run it, I used to get crowds of people standing by and coming into the store, now it's back to nothing basically. so the only time i can run it as at home and it doesn't feel the same as running it front of customers and people that are seeing it for the first time, people would get really amazed. i mean i guess it was dangerous for me to run it there especially fast, there are little kids walking around but, it's just difficult for me to be understanding of it lol when i bring it back home on monday i'll take pics of it then.
Maybe you can get the owners to agree to let you set up a little course in the parking lot. You could have a few small ramps and do some small jumps with the Shockwave. You could have a vinyl sign made up with you business name on it and where your located inside for sales. Maybe they would even agree to let you just set up out there. Get a 12x12 quick shade from Walmart for $90 and a 6 foot folding table for $35 and hang your banner across the back of the quick shade pop up. This way you would still be able to display your product in a safer environment. The flea market people still win because they would gain another rental area, and keep your noise away from the cry babies. Plus you get the people walking in with money in their pocket for an impulse buy before they spend their money.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:58 AM
rcenth

I really appreciate the suggestions, I've been trying like hell to figure something out but, I think something like that is going to be difficult. The parking lot and flea market area are seperate and I'm sure if I started doing something out in the parking lot other vendors would want to as as well, and visitors have to pay for parking so I'm guessing they want to make sure there's always enough room. Lastly, even if it was able to somehow do it, I have had visions of going out there to the parking lot to at least just a show an interested customer but, the issue is that there's only 2 of us here running the shop and if I'm gone it can be difficult for the other person to manage it all on their own, we have to watch for shoplifters and what-not plus the other person needs more help on pricing of items and what-not.
Over here they do have some outdoor uncovered lots for vendors that you can rent for about $24 a day or so, and the lot is about the size of a large parking lot space so I would probably have to get 4 or so to run it in decent space, even then it's not going to be much space so the price would start getting steep, lastly again same issue that if I'm out there then there will only be one person here.
I had ended up finding this site - http://roadrailracing.com/ that looks pretty nice, kind of expensive but, it's a portable track looks pretty good. I think even the small would be enough for me it seems pretty large more than what I could setup here. I really wish I was able to set that up here but, the narrow road we have infront of our store would make it difficult for people to walk past and the market has their own small vehicles driving through selling beverages and what- not.
sucks
Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
rcenth

quick question, when i left the shop today i had too many things with me and car was parked far so i left the shockwave there this weekend, i realized now the tank was full with fuel. can this cause any problems if it's left full with fuel for about 5 days? or should i go there in a couple days and either run it or take the fuel out? in the future i should remove the fuel shouldn't I if I leave for few days and am not bringing it back with me?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 PM
lakesrunner

It should be ok but I would be more worried about leaving some fuel in the engine. Rust can occur quickly unfortunately. Also check your fuel lines to make sure that fuel inside hasn't turned to a gel.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 PM
rcenth

for the future how can you tell if there's any fuel left in the engine?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:29 PM
lakesrunner

To be sure, take off the fuel line and try starting it. It may runa fewseconds without it on when there is fuel left.