Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Tornado s30 front wheels wont "spin"

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado s30 front wheels wont "spin"

Old 04-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tornado s30 front wheels wont "spin"

What I mean by "spin" is the front wheels dont turn when I spin the rear ones. After I inspected why I saw one of my rear dogbones was bent so bad it hits the shock spring. Shold I just have to replace that one dogbone and it will work fine again?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tornado s30 front wheels wont

ORIGINAL: Zlash03

What I mean by "spin" is the front wheels dont turn when I spin the rear ones. After I inspected why I saw one of my rear dogbones was bent so bad it hits the shock spring. Shold I just have to replace that one dogbone and it will work fine again?

so your saying one of the rear dogbones is bent and hitting your shock. So it's binding and not turning the wheel? If it's actually locking up the rear diff, then the rear diff is likely locking up your transmission which is keeping the front diff from spinning. The thing is, if one of your rear wheels is stuck, the other rear wheel should still spin as well as the front wheels. There might be more going on here than your explaining. I would start with the obvious though and replace the bent dogbone and get the drive train straightened out. Once this is good you can investigate further. You may want to at least check the grub screws on the front and rear side of the tranny cups and at the front and rear diff as well. You may just have a loose grub screw somewhere in the front that is not transfering output from your tranny to the front diff.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Zlash03

The dogbone only lightly hits the shock spring. It doesnt actually lock up the rear diff. I took it outside a few minutes ago and just tried driving it for a few seconds and it might be driving it self by only one rear wheel. Where are the grub screws located so I can check them?

Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Zlash03

The dogbone only lightly hits the shock spring. It doesnt actually lock up the rear diff. I took it outside a few minutes ago and just tried driving it for a few seconds and it might be driving it self by only one rear wheel. Where are the grub screws located so I can check them?

Check the cups that the center dog bones go in. Theres one in front and one in rear. One cup at the back of the tranny then dog bone, then cup at front of rear diff. One cup at front of tranny then dog bone, then rear of front diff. All 4 of these cups have a tiny set screw in them holding them onto a shaft. When they get loose, the dogbone spins the cup, the cup spins on the shaft but doesn't turn the diff.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Zlash03

The good news is I found what you were talking about. The bad news is 2 of the screws are missing. One from the very front cup, and one from the cup that goes to the gearbox (All I see are empty threads in both of these places). Looks pretty hard to get to the one by the gearbox though. So should all I have to do is replace those and it will work? I noticed if I pushed down on the front dogbone it would spin the front wheels when the rear ones were turned too.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Dads like rc too

Yes, replace those screws and make sure you use blue loc tite on them.  It's common for those to loosen up and cause drivetrain problems.