Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Need help with a Tornado s30!

Hey guys, Got a few quesitons for ya, maybe you can help.... Ibroke the engine in fine.Did 1 tank just idle it gone. 2nd tank, I took it super slow running it rich. 3rd tank, I started to pick up a little bit of speed. 4th tank, I was starting to go half throttle. 5th tank, I started to see what it had to offer here and there(not full on wide open too much).......But after about the 8th tank, the car would just stall out after running it for 2 mins!!! when it stalls Ihave to wait about 15-20 mins before Ican even attempt the get it to start back up...Then I run into the same problem as I try to tune it, Stalls out! It seems to get hot quick but also running rich it seems from the extra fuel spitting out the pipe with half throttle trigger pulls. So im stuck !! Ihave only had the car 3 days and it hasn't been much fun haha! Please help. Thanks! I'm also running 20%nitro...Location "Florida" Didn't want to leave anything out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Need help with a Tornado s30!

hum
    maybe its rich on the low speed but lean on the high speed....or vise versa.

It being hard to start back up could mean its getting flooded....unless the reason it dies is cause its getting too hot. But then these motors cool down pretty quickly. A well flooded motor can take a fair bit of time to clear up on its own.

There are 2 kinda of flooded....one where the cylinder has too much fuel in it, and one where the base of the motor and the pipe have excess fuel in them.
    the 1st can be cleared just by pulling the glow plug and turning over the motor a few times.
    The 2nd requires you pull the plug, place the model upside down and pull the motor over as well as tip it to the side so and pull over the motor so that fuel can drain from the pipe.

What kinda temps are you seeing? How quicly does the motor heat up? Do you have a temp gun to get accurate readings?
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Yeah, It seems to get pretty hott quick!! Idon't have a temp gun, need to still get one!Istart it up, then while driving it no matter what after about 1-2mins it straight up stalls!! even when it's not too hott it seems to be a pain to get started after it stalls!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

does it stall while its driving or while just sitting still, or does it stall when taking off?

It will drive for about 1-2 mins!!! Then it stalls and won't start...plenty of fuel left in the tank also!! Trying to start it after that point is like impossible!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Air leaks? Check all engine screws. Bad fuel line?

I'm gonna check everything Iguess! Ihave trouble getting it to prime sometimes also!! Must be a leak somewhere! Ijust want this thing to run! It just won't start up everytime like it should! Once it fires up and stalls that's it for a while! Imight have to make a vid of how annoying this is for me! 45 mins of use and had it 5 days now :/

Ok, everything is tight!! Fuel lines have no holes ect.! I did notice somehting about the fuel tank tho!! Iremember when I was running it, and it was fine, the car would stall out with about 1/2inch of fuel left in the tank everytime! Idon't know, please throw some more stuff that can be wrong out there thanks!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When it gets to the point where it stalls, check to make sure that the fuel isn't pushing back to the tank from the carb.  If the engine gets hot enough it will do this.  Is it possible that your running too hot which is causing this problem.  Once this happens it takes awhile to get it restarted.  Sometimes you can get it re-primed.  Most of the time it won't prime until the engine cools a little.  You might try just bringing your needles back to break in and re-adjust from there to see if you make a change in the problem.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Ihave been getting it running now a lot! but no matter which way I adjust the low end needle and high end needle it just stalls out! I did the pinch test for the low end needle after reving it to keep it running! It seemed to be fine! Also its idleing high and the idle screw is real far out! It's as far back on the transmitter as possible! Ijust don't get it! Ibeen messing with it all day and i'm still not able to to keep it idleing! It's like when i change one thing I have another problem! Either the wheels are spinning or hitting the brake is making it stall! Igot no idea haha!

Ijust don't understand!!It will run as long as I give it some throttle!Other than that it wants to stall out...... Igot this far! Am Iclose?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

after you make an adjustment on either of the needles you have to run the car for a couple of minutes to let the changes take effect, i would take both needles back to stock and work from there, remember small movements are key

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

second this post start from scratch i know i do alot of rc repairs and tuning for people around my area and its usually have their settings mixed up cause most get confused and adjust the high speed also these are closed systems so like stated previously check for air leaks i have seen a few redcats where lid on tank cap doesnt shut all the way because of the o-ring is so snug it doesnt close completely unless puch it down all the way.... so clean up the car and go over it completely back to stock then adjust from their...
    ORIGINAL: carslover

after you make an adjustment on either of the needles you have to run the car for a couple of minutes to let the changes take effect, i would take both needles back to stock and work from there, remember small movements are key
    www.kchobbie.com
    Authorized Redcat Racing, Align, Guai, MaxAmps, Hyperion, Exotek Racing, Hi-Tec, Team Trinity, CommonSenseRC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hashybuds

Ijust don't understand!!It will run as long as I give it some throttle!Other than that it wants to stall out...... Igot this far! Am Iclose?

ok, make sure your idle screw is not backed out too far. This can also give you an air leak as well as cause it to stall when you hit the brakes. The idle screw is what prevents the barrel from fully closing when you apply the breaks. Take the air filter off and look into the carb at your gap. Hold the barrel closed with one finger and turn in on the idle screw with your other finger. You'll start to see the barrel actually get pushed open as you turn in on the idle screw. Set you gap this way and then bring both your needles back to stock. Don't try to guess which one is causing the other one to mess up. If you do this it should fire up and at least run "slugishly" . Then you can tune from there.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hashybuds

Also its idleing high and the idle screw is real far out!Ā* It's as far back on the transmitter as possible! IĀ*just don't get it! IĀ*been messing with it all day and i'm still not able to to keep it idleing! It's like when i change one thing I have another problem! Either the wheels are spinning or hitting the brake is making it stall! IĀ*got no idea haha!
    Are you reffering to the idle trim knob on the controller? If so thats a bit different. Set your high/low needles back to stock and like Dad said,set your idle screw so its open only about 1mm. On your controller set your idle trim to 0 and see how much it opens up your carb. You might have to pull the servo horn and re-position it. With everything ok'd and at idle your tires are still spinning and braking makes it stall,check your clutch spring (my caldera didnt even have one!). Hope this helps.