Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vortex SS gears

I have a nitro vortex ss 4wd. The gears (tranny) are stripped. looked online for replacements and the are 42 and 47 tooth gears but they are made of plastic, Is there anywhere i can get these made of metal so they last longer and why would they strip in the first place? New to rc cars, more of a plane guy. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Vortex SS gears

that models doesnt have steel spur gears availible.

spur gears all strip at some point...happens to any model.

But there are things that can cause a spur to strip. Landing from a jump with the throttle on is bad for nitros (since most dont have a slipper clutch)

Metal spur gears are nice in some ways. But I have heard or people stripping the teeth off the pinion gear (gear on the engine) when running a metal spur gear. Again, if you land from a jump with the throttle on...somethings gotta give.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i personally believe plastic spurs are the way to go, plastic gives you more tollerance, i put a steel spur in my volcano, and i not only stripped the spur but also the clutchbell, so instead of just 4 dollars for a new spur it cost 40 to replace both spur and clutchbelld

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second this post use plastic and also make sure of adjustments are correct on car not saying that its redcats fault but mistakes do happen where you purchase from but plastic is way easier and more forgiving whether its a engine part or chassis piece metal is great but tends to bend on way and not flex back like plastic...

Double check motor position and the nut on spur gear when you replace to make sure all is withing spec no reason shouldnt last i run a .28 in aftershock 1/8 scale and launch it great distances on the SX practice track by my house and it has yet to strip out a spur or any other part for that fact
    ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

that models doesnt have steel spur gears availible.

spur gears all strip at some point...happens to any model.

But there are things that can cause a spur to strip. Landing from a jump with the throttle on is bad for nitros (since most dont have a slipper clutch)

Metal spur gears are nice in some ways. But I have heard or people stripping the teeth off the pinion gear (gear on the engine) when running a metal spur gear. Again, if you land from a jump with the throttle on...somethings gotta give.
    www.kchobbie.com
    Authorized Redcat Racing, Align, Guai, MaxAmps, Hyperion, Exotek Racing, Hi-Tec, Team Trinity, CommonSenseRC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think it depends on the application.  My steel spur in my Monsoon XTR works flawlessly.  When I put a steel spur in my Volcano tranny I went through 3 clutch bells in 2 months.  The plastic one is now back in it.  Also the gears themselves between the Monsoon and the Volcano are very different.  You can tell the Volcano gear doesn't quite mesh as nice as the Monsoon no matter how much time you take setting it up.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

10-4, will stick to the plastic ones. jumping hasn't been a problem since I haven't been able to do much with the truck since I got it. Hit a curb, broke some steering parts. waited for parts to come into stock, ordered, waited and finally rec'd parts. Put in new parts and started and had trouble running until I looked at the gears....stripped. stripped in about 10 min driving time, not including breaking in time. Thanks to all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

dads i agree the steel spur in my monsoon is awesome, it is really all about the application your using it for