Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Several issues with brand new Volcano S30

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Several issues with brand new Volcano S30

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM
fun4oli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Several issues with brand new Volcano S30

Here is the out-of-box experience. Need help with these issues:

1) Put fresh batteries into the transmitter. Switchedtransmitter to "Power On". "Power LED" does not come on.

2) There are no instructions how to bind transmitter and receiver in the box. Sigh. How do I do it?

3) The picture in the manual on how to set the gear mesh is just so grainy and the arrows are not accurate. Is there a much better picture to clearly show where to insert that strip of paper?

4) The battery compartment cover in the car does not close tightly in the middle even after both screws are all the way in. It bulges up 2 mm. Water could come in.

5) The manual suggests to also loctite the grub screws on the center drive shaft. It seems to be nearly impossible to me to access them from any angle, let alone put them back in with Loctite. Any tips on the best angle?

Thanks so much,
Oliver
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
buckhoule

Default RE: Several issues with brand new Volcano S30

i had the same issues except for the transmitter not turning on as for everything else....

www.redcatracing.com/information/videotraining.html that is the link to training videos on redcats site

#2 on the redcat website they have a how to video on how to bind the transmitter to the reciever

#3 to set the mesh you will have to loosen the motor mount screws on the bottom of the frame just enough to get the engine to move, then you will put a small strip of paper between
the gear on the engine (clutchbell) and the gear that it rides against (spur gear) gently push the clutchbell towards the spur then tighten the 4 motor mount screws
try rolling the truck on the ground after doing this, if it doesnt roll pretty easily then your gears are too tight together...... i also think there might be a vid on how to do this on the redcat
website

#4 the battery compartment is really hard to get to shut correctly they should have made it just a smidge deeper, but if you spend the time fanageling the wires around eventually you will get
it to shut right, i personally gave up on that just try to keep it dry

#5 the grub screws on the rear center shaft removing the engine is the easiest way to get to those, and for the front center shaft i was able to get to the tranny side grub between the top
deck plate and the tranny, and the front grub screw i went from the right side i removed the right front tire and put my allen wrench between the deck plate and frame, they are a pain to
do but its well worth the effort to avoid them backing out and losing them

I hope this was a help to you

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
fun4oli

Thanks so much for your help!!

Just some follow-up questions.

Binding the Tx and Rx: I looked at the video titles at http://www.redcatracing.com/informat...otraining.html... I could not immediately see one which is for this topic. I checked out the first one "Setup - The Basics" but that video is so old, the Tx uses crystals, and mine now has DSM2. It came with what looks like a binding plug, but I am not an exert on the propr procedure.

And: with "tranny" side you mean the transmission side ... sorry, I am not up on the lingo (yet) ;-)
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 AM
buckhoule

Trying to remember how i did the binding on mine, im pretty sure this is how i did it so you can try this:

1 remove battery box cover
2 there will be an empty slot in your reciever that is where you will plug your bind cable into
3 with bind cable plugged in you will then turn on your reciever (at this point your transmitter is still off!)
4 with reciever turned on you will then locate the "bind" button on your transmitter mine was between the two l.e.d's press and hold the bind button while doing that turn your transmitter on
the lights on your transmitter should be flashing at this point
5 release the bind button and turn reciever and transmitter off
6 remove the bind cable
7 turn transmitter and reciever on, if they are bound correctly it should work and you will have a red light on the reciever

i hope this works for you i had to try like two or three times to get mine to bind correctly, also make sure your battery connections are good

and by the tranny yes i did mean transmission sorry about that
Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Capn kanuckles

Goto youtube watch ali shamnao videos on the volcano s30 he can show you everything you need to know.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:10 PM
fun4oli

Well, Ihave watched more Ali Shanmao videos than I ever would have cared for, but there is just nothing where he shows the securing of the drive shaft screws. I would think that they don't show this because it must be very hard to do with this model.

Or did you see such a video?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you ever get the radio to powerup?  Why were you trying to bind your new radio, it should have come synced with the receiver from the factory.  If you were trying to bind because the radio is not powering up, try removing the batteries and then taking a small screwdriver pry the battery contacts out a little farther.  Sometimes there recessed a bit to far, I've had this happen with two new radio's in the past.  As far as the grub screws go, you should be able to reach in with a hex key to all the diff cups, the set screw should stay on the hex key when you un-screw it.  Just take your time and go slow.  You'll either learn how to do this, or you'll learn how to take everything apart to get to 4 set screws.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:16 AM
carslover

i wouldn't reccomend going through or near water anyway, you will fry your servos as they are not sealed, and even if the battery box closed tightly it would still seep water cause there is no seal!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM
fun4oli

Yes, eventually we got the radio to work. It was a simple solution: I had used NiMH batteries. When I put them into another Redcat RC radio they worked, but not in mine. Redcat support suggested to try bending out the tabs, as NiMH batteries (so they say, though visually I can't agree) are slightly shorter than alkaline batteries. First I thought that maybe the 1.2 V voltage of the NiMHs would cause the problem, but read on the Internet that it does not matter. So I bent the tabs and low and behold the radio worked. I would swear that they already had firm contact on both ends, but the final result matters.

As for the grub screws, did you use a very long hex key?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM
fun4oli

Oh, thanks for the tip ... I did go through shallow water yesterday, I guess I got lucky! There is no way to retroactively seal the servos, right ... going through the water and mud was a lot of fun ;-) ! See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ad3M...1&feature=plcp
Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM
carslover

i plan on sealing all my servo's and battery boxes this spring, i would probably use like a blue rtv gasket sealant(autozone) or possibly a silicone that would set up extremely quick

Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 PM
RedCat_Chris

ORIGINAL: fun4oli

Oh, thanks for the tip ... I did go through shallow water yesterday, I guess I got lucky! There is no way to retroactively seal the servos, right ... going through the water and mud was a lot of fun ;-) ! See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ad3M...1&feature=plcp

Hello fun,

I would highly suggest investing in a tool kit similar to this one: http://dynamiterc.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=DYN2834

Having the longer allen tools will make repairs much easier, with out a long allen you will want to remove the front/rear of the vehicle to ensure you are able to secure the grub screw for the drive cup as tightly as possible. You will also want to use some medium strength thread lock on the grub screw and be sure to clean both surfaces of any oils or the thread lock will not fully adhere.