Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Volcano Epx Pro Wheel/Tire Options?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano Epx Pro Wheel/Tire Options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:57 PM
AL 01412

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano Epx Pro Wheel/Tire Options?

Hey Guys, Well, My tires on my epx pro are about worn out already.. So, I've been thinking about my options. First, Has anyone had any luck running 1/8th Scale wheels & tires? Just curious if has any major drawbacks? It would be nice to have somewhat bigger tires on it. I like the stock wheels and tires, but the tires arent as aggressive as I'd like them to be. But then again I drive mostly on asphault. And lastly, Where is the best place online to buy tires? Not looking to get real expensive ones as I wore these stock ones out in less than a month..

Thanks Alot,
AJ
Old 05-08-2012, 05:10 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Volcano Epx Pro Wheel/Tire Options?

1st, tires just aint cheap.

plan to spend $30-$50 on a full set of wheels and tires.

Second, 1/8 scale tires wont work, since their wheels use 17mm hex.

The epx pro's use 12mm hex (as do most 1/10 scale models)

I have run a set of traxxas stampede (rear) wheels with proline masher 2000's tires.

Traxxas stampede talon work as well (again, rear tires all the way around)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25068.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1760557  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
AL 01412

Oh, I thought they made adapters to go from the 12mm hex to the 17mm hex? I could very well be mistaken. So, Can i use any wheel/Tire combination as long as they are 12mm hex? 2.2's and 2.8's will work? Where do you buy your wheels/tires from nitro? Thanks man.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: AL 01412

Oh, I thought they made adapters to go from the 12mm hex to the 17mm hex? I could very well be mistaken. So, Can i use any wheel/Tire combination as long as they are 12mm hex? 2.2's and 2.8's will work? Where do you buy your wheels/tires from nitro? Thanks man.
No, not any 2.2 or 2.8 wheel with a 12mm hex will work. Some wheels have little offset (the hex sits closer to the oustide of the wheel) Those wont work with any 4wd in general.
The traxxas rear wheels have a offset where the hex is closest to the inside of the rim (toward the truck) This type of offset makes certain that the wheel wont hit the wheel hub/camber link or suspension arm. 4wd models generally have larger wheel hubs than 2wd's...expecailly on the front.

There are hex adapters out there. Not sure if any of them will work on a epx model tho.

There are the wheels/tires for the earthquake 8e. These are the largest wheels with a 12mm hex I know of. Im not certain if the offset will work on a epx tho. And even if they did, a 1/10 scale truck with 1/8 scale tires would look funny IMO. It would also put more strain on the dogbones and stub axles and diffs. Not to mention, you would have to change the pinion gear (smaller) to adjust the gearing for the larger tires.

There there is the fact that much larger tires will make the truck higher and more likely to roll over in a turn.

The stampede talon tires are a bit taller (i think) than the stock epx pro ones. The masher 2000's on 2.2 wheels were a hair taller.

I buy my wheels/tires off ebay. Alittle searching on ebay usually will find you the best price.

check this vid, it explains offset. You want a wheel with as much offset as possible...to be certain it will work on the epx.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdaBwBw_Jy0[/youtube]
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
AL 01412

Ok nitro, I have been searching on ebay for Traxxas Stampede (Rear) tires, And i like them alot. As i was searching I came across these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170799734563...84.m1423.l2649 Those look just like the stock rims, just not chrome and blue, and with different tires. Do you think those may work?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought  Losi tire/wheel combo for my son's Caldera 10e.  They're called Zombie tires.  I can't post a pic right now but if you look in the Caldera thread I have a pic posted on page 7, post 175.  The 4 tires came mounted on the rims for $36.  Then I had to add Losi hex adapters, they use their own, it's like a 13mm for another $5.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
AL 01412

Thanks for the reply Dad, I like your username, as I myself am also a father. Those Wheels and tires look very nice, So those will fit volcano epx pro With the losi adapters? I also have another question maybe you guys can help be with, I'd hate to start another thread for it. If I were to gear down to a 14t pinion would I be able to get the truck to wheelie? Have you guys ever messed with lower gearing on your volcano pros? I love the speed of the truck, But id also love wheelies! haha. Thanks alot for your help guys, Im sure I'll have many more questions in the future, And Im thankful you guys are so willing to help.

AJ.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Dads like rc too

Thanks for the reply Dad, I like your username, as I myself am also a father. Those Wheels and tires look very nice, So those will fit volcano epx pro With the losi adapters? I also have another question maybe you guys can help be with, I'd hate to start another thread for it. If I were to gear down to a 14t pinion would I be able to get the truck to wheelie? Have you guys ever messed with lower gearing on your volcano pros? I love the speed of the truck, But id also love wheelies! haha. Thanks alot for your help guys, Im sure I'll have many more questions in the future, And Im thankful you guys are so willing to help.

AJ.
Yes, you can buy the Losi hex adapters and just put them in place of the stock 12mm hex. As far as the wheelies go, Nitrosports will probably be able to guide you better when it comes to questions more specific to electric. I don't think just lowering your gearing will get the Volcano to wheelie. I think you'll need more power as well. In my sons Caldera 10e I run 8.4v nihms and it's super fast, but doesn't even come close to lifting the front end.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
AL 01412

Great, Im going to look Into those wheels. Thanks. When I stiffen up the rear suspension I can almost get it to wheelie, its very close, Just need more torque. I think A 14t pinion may give me the torque I need. For 7-8 dollars I may as well buy the pinion and see what happens.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Dads like rc too

Great, Im going to look Into those wheels. Thanks. When I stiffen up the rear suspension I can almost get it to wheelie, its very close, Just need more torque. I think A 14t pinion may give me the torque I need. For 7-8 dollars I may as well buy the pinion and see what happens.
Glad you like the wheels, they've worked out well. Definately try out the smaller pinion, might work out well for you. This hobby is all about modification, try out different ratios. In the end though, I believe you'll need to bump up to 3s lipo's if your not already running them and adjust your punch control to get your wheelies.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 PM
AL 01412

So I got the pinion today and went to install it but the Allen bolt on the pinion is so damn tight I stripped it out... I'm not too sure on how I'm going to get it out, probably going to have to destroy the stock pinion, hopefully not the motor too. Can anyone direct me on where to buy a new hex bolt for the pinion? because the new pinion does not come with one. thanks.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Dads like rc too

So I got the pinion today and went to install it but the Allen bolt on the pinion is so damn tight I stripped it out... I'm not too sure on how I'm going to get it out, probably going to have to destroy the stock pinion, hopefully not the motor too. Can anyone direct me on where to buy a new hex bolt for the pinion? because the new pinion does not come with one. thanks.
wow, thats a small one to mess with. I would try heating it up either by holding a soldering iron on the pinion near the set screw until it heats up, or what I like to do is use a mini torch that you use for heat shrink tubing. Works great for that. Then find a Torx bit that is almost too big to fit in the stripped set screw and see if you can't get it to get a bite and turn it out.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 AM
AL 01412

Thanks dads, I'm going to give that a shot later this week when my replacement grub screws come in the mail. I'll let you know how it goes. I broke a rear hub carrier last night too, but I knew that would eventually happen..
Old 05-26-2012, 02:51 PM
AL 01412

Well dad, I took your advice about the mini torch and it worked, The grub screw came right out. I have the New pinion installed, now I just have to wait for a stub axle to get here so I can drive it... i haven't driven it in a week now, and I'm starting to have withdraws.. thanks a lot!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Dads like rc too

Well dad, I took your advice about the mini torch and it worked, The grub screw came right out. I have the New pinion installed, now I just have to wait for a stub axle to get here so I can drive it... i haven't driven it in a week now, and I'm starting to have withdraws.. thanks a lot!
Glad it worked. Make sure your not cheating and using standard hex keys for a metric set screw. They will fit and work most of the time, but after awhile they just strip. Go out and buy a good set of standard and metric hex keys, they will save you a lot of time. Also remember to always order two of what you need, 1 for the repair and 1 for the parts bin.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:48 PM
AL 01412

Do you guys know if the front c hubs from redcat come with the screw that acts as the lower balljoint? That screw fell out last night and i cant seem to find the part number for the screw. thanks alot
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Dads like rc too

Do you guys know if the front c hubs from redcat come with the screw that acts as the lower balljoint? That screw fell out last night and i cant seem to find the part number for the screw. thanks alot
Thats very common with that setup. The screw strips out the steering knuckle. There's been many threads about it, unfortunately until you replace the steering knuckles with the aluminum one's, it will likely continue to happen as the plastic just gets too abused at that point of the suspension.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM
AL 01412

thanks dad's, I do you know where I can find the screws if the new hubs don't come with them?
Old 06-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Dads like rc too

thanks dad's, I do you know where I can find the screws if the new hubs don't come with them?
if you order the aluminum knuckles, they will come with machine screws. I replaced my sons last Sept. or Oct. after going through two plastic replacements in about a 10 day period. If you need the factory screw just remove one from the other side and match it up at your local hardware store. In fact, that's a good time to pull a few different screws and find some replacements.