Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Backdraft 8E strange deal???? HELP!

I just bought a backdraft 8e yesterday. Charged the batteries, took it out for it's maiden voyage. Set on the ground, concrete, hit the throttle about 10% and as it drove away, there was a loud clicking sound. It just didnt sound right. So i brought it back, picked it up and hit the gas while holding it and both of the lower front turnbuckles are bouncing up and down like they are catching on something? and when the move up they click. I have looked and looked but i can't see anything dragging or catching or anything. Not sure what it is. Has anyone had this problem? Please let me know what it might be. I am gonna call redcat today if i can't figure it out. I am also going to try and catch it on video so you guys can see it.

Thanks.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Backdraft 8E strange deal???? HELP!

when you say turnbuckles do you mean steering knuckle. not really understanding the park you're talking about. but either way it sounds like it maybe your dog bones are not seated correctly into the drive cups. or possibly your front diff is clicking.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeah i meant steering knuckle. sorry, wrong word.

How do you get it to stop clicking? why would it do that? i will get a vid up later today.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Probably a chipped diff gear in the front diff. Remove the front dogbones and turn each front wheel by hand. See if you can isolate where the noise is coming from. If the wheels are quiet when doing this, roll the car letting the center driveshaft turn the front diff. If the clicking returns, it's coming from the front diff.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

chipped tooth on a brand new buggy??????? like i seriously just got it yesterday. and only ran it for a minute and heard the sound.

If it is a diff this thing is gonig right back to where i got it from. How does that happen in a brand new ride............i can't win!

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

how does that happen you ask? it happens the same way you drive a new car home from the dealership and the fuel pump goes bad. before you get too mad about a brand new diff being bad let's check it out further and see what the problem is. I was just trying to suggest where the noise might be coming from. it could be anything very minor, the steps I told you to take would just help isolate the problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

upload some pics.

Offhand, the only thing I can think of that would make the steering arms, or the knuckle move around as you describe would be a bent (or binding) driveshaft.

turn each wheel by hand. do both wheels make the noise? do they turn freely?

Now turn the both together. Does it turn freely?

Its possible that the diff pinion/ring gear mesh is bad. A few people have had this on 8e's...where the mesh is loose and this causes a stripped gear. Usually, it doesnt fail till a few battery packs have been run threw it.

But it could also be that your's has the mesh TOO tight.

But I would look hard at the dogbones/drive cups to look for binding 1st.

Did you buy it from a hobby shop? Either way, if it was like this out of the box then Redcat's warrenty should cover it.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, I'm not sure what is going on. I checked it out today, gonna take a vid of the steering knuckle "bouncing" but it didn't do it. Both of my brothers were with me last night and both of them were like "what is that clicking noise?" and today, nothing. I spun all the wheels together and individually and it din't do it. I can't run it again cuz the batts are dead and i dont have the right kind of connectors to charge it. It has deans and that is the only one i can't do. I have banana's on the way and i am going to put those on.

I will get my new connectors hopefully tomorrow. Then i will go run it again, videotape it so you all know i am not abusing it and saying it isn't working, and then see what happens.

Oh and btw, there is some play in the dogbones. They dont seem to be binding up. The driveshaft doesn't seem to be in a bind either. Not sure how to check the mesh, Gotta do some research and figure that out. Hopefully it is no big deal. And yes, i did get it at a hobby shop. so if there is a problem, i will call them or just call redcat.

I will let you know how this weekend goes, assuming i get my new connectors.

Thanks for the input guys. I know i only seem like i have problems, but i can't seem to get in a groove. Hopefully that will change soon.

greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check to make sure your front drive shaft coming from your center diff to your front diff is not bent. If it is bent bad enough which unfortunately can be straight out of the box. It will cause you ackerman plate inbetween your servo saver posts to bounce that bounce will cause your steering knuckle to bounce.

Also check your dog bones going to the wheels for bends.

And like stated before check your front differential.
    Robert Dunn / Razor Hobbies LLC