Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Which Redcat?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:02 PM
scotthg1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Redcat?

Good Evening,

I don't think I have ever posted here and I have been a member since 2003. I can usually get my answers just searching this forum but not this time. I want to get my kids started in RC's but I'm not sure which Redcat to puchase. I want to try Redcat because of the price point, you can't beat it and parts seem to be fairly easy to obtain.
Anyway, my kids are 12,10,9 and 6 but this RC is not for the 6 year old. He will have to use his Toys R Us rc for now. I'm looking to find something fun to bash and race in our yard. Sometimes on the lawn and other times on our homemade track we are building. The track will be a basic track to run 1/10th,1/8th or 1/5th scale. I have an electric plane and a Nitro MBX5 so I can go either way for a power source. I was thinking of the Caldera SC 10e 1/10th, the 1/8th scale is over budget right now. I love the price and at 2 bills I could get two and they could take turns. I have also thought of the Vortex SS nitro and buy 3. I just don't know if three nitros are worth the headache with kids and I don't do pull starters. So if I can't purchase back plates and use on my bumpbox, then the vortex is out. My price point is around 400 or 450. Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Redcat?

Caldera 10e, any one of them all the way! Nothing better in its price range in my opinion. Most bang for the buck out there.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM
scotthg1

Thanks Dads like rc too

I feel the same way on price point. My thoughts are going with the SC10e but want some people to chime in on issues (steering servo) and how it runs in low grass.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: scotthg1

Thanks Dads like rc too

I feel the same way on price point. My thoughts are going with the SC10e but want some people to chime in on issues (steering servo) and how it runs in low grass.
You'll have to check the specs as far as ride height is concerned, but my sons 10e which is the monster truck version goes great in the grass. The only thing I'm sure you'll be replacing are the front steering knuckles. They strip out very easily. The pinion gear is also a little on the soft side. If I were ordering a new one, unless you have a hobby shop close by that stocks Redcat parts, I'd be sure to order an extra spur and pinion gear as well as two extra steering knuckle sets with the mounting screws "they fall out". These parts are relatively inexpensive. Probably around $15 - $20 but will keep your downtime to a minimum. Eventful you will likely have to upgrade the steering knuckles to the aluminum set. It's really the only " must do " mod on the truck. They're not cheap but will keep them from stripping out in the future.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:23 AM
kashjeff

I second what DADS said.

I've had mine for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier with it.  I have the caldera 10e monster truck version. Mine has taken a serious beating.

My steering servo went out after only one or two runs. If i was to buy another truck tomorrow I'd order the replacement servo right along with it. search amazon or ebay for part number B7018. It's a redcat racing 9kg metal gear for $18.99 comes stock on the ground pounder and has been pretty tough so far.  I don't even run a servo saver.

I can't speak on the short course version but mine does pretty well in short grass.
The only other thing i would mention is the body.  Seems like mine doesn't withstand much abuse and has shattered in a couple different places. I use black electrical tape as RC Bondo and there is A LOT of Tape on mine but again I treat my truck very badly. maybe that's all redcat bodies or RC bodies in general. I mention this because when i was 9 10 and 12 years old i was pretty brutal with things regardless of the price tag.  (steady trend)

Jeff

Old 05-12-2012, 03:53 AM
Dads like rc too

I've read a lot on this forum about the steering servos. Luckily I've never had an issue with them. The Tornado S30 I previously owned came stock with the smallest servos Redcat has and I never had an issue with them. My sons Caldera has the same servos in it and they've been fine, and I bought this truck used. My daughters Volcano EPX has them as well. My Monsoon XTR came stock with the heavier 9 series servo for the steering and the 3 for throttle/brake. These have been good also. If your that concerned, it won't hurt to upgrade to the metal geared 9 series like Kasjeff suggested. If not run it and see what happens.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 AM
bpohl

I have a redcat volcano S30, which i really like. I have added a .21 engine to it. If your looking for inexpensive R/C cars and trucks check out this website http://www.nitrorcx.com/ I got my sone one of the Exceed Infinitive monster trucks. It is built identincal to the Volcano EPX. The one I got was a brushless truck, and other than the norm of the front pinion and steering knuckles the truck has been flawless. Its a few dollars cheaper and all the parts from the Volcano EPX will fit it. We are running a Lip 2S 4000mah in it and it is freaking FAST!!! I have turned it way down just so he can run it with out wrecking. Here is couple pictures. His is the green one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13976.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1761764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76259.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	1761765  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

grass wont be an issue for the 10e or the sc.

As for the steering servo....yes, plan on upgrading. The radio/esc/motor are all pretty decent, but the servo's plastic gears do tend to fail.

A very cheap and good upgrade is the MG996R servo. Sometimes hobbypartz.com has them in stock for $10. Or you can buy them on ebay (ship from HK) for $8. They are metal geared and have more torque than the stock ones.

The next upgrade after the servo is a 2s lipo battery and lipo charger. Lipo's make the caldera's a beast. Its a big performance gain.

Again, hobbypartz.com has 2s lipo packs and chargers. You can get 2 good lipos and a charger for $100 shipped.

DO NOT BUY from nitrorcx. Yes, some of the models are basically the same things as what redcat sells, but good luck if you have any issues or defective parts. nitrorcx is not known for good customer service or warrenty service.
This is why I only buy from (and sell for) redcat. They do a pretty good job of backing up what they sell.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM
lakesrunner

Yes, grass isn't an issue for most Redcat MT's. I'm a nitro guy myself and have the Volcano S30, but the Caldera sounds like the best bet.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 AM
bpohl

I heard that about NitroRC. But I look at it this way u pay for what you get.  I have had to replace a couple dog bones and upgraded the pinion and diff gear in it. Ordered all the parts through Redcat and they fit fine. Did a lot of research before I bought his and found that the Redcat was the same not found any parts difference so far.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:47 PM
scotthg1

Thanks for the information guys. I'm still debating my purchase. Redcat is perfect for my kids to start in RC's and my son drove my mxb5 for the first time and he was a little overwhelmed with the power but he really enjoyed it. Then after when we were finished, he helped me work on it for the first time. I think the RC bug has bit him pretty hard. Very nice to see. I do have the truck in my shopping cart with alum. knuckles but they are out of the 9g servo at urchobby but I'm waiting on an aution to end on eBay. I'm bidding on another Redcat and once the auction is over, I'll decide on my purchase. Does anyone know how well the SH engines are, like holding a tune or any other issues?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM
scotthg1

Hey nitrosportsandrunner,

Do you have a part number for the lipo? I have a lipo charger already but need some direction on a battery upgrade.

Lastly, does anyone have a part number for an upgraded pinion on the 10SC?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Dads like rc too

Does anyone know how well the SH engines are, like holding a tune or any other issues?

Thanks
In my opinion you can't get a better engine for the price. These engines hold up very well. They are not temperamental and hold tune. For the platform, they are a good fit. I've had the .18 and the .28. The small block is not over powered but does the job well. The big block just screams.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
scotthg1

Excellent! Thanks Dads like rc too!

I am getting a new servo and alum knuckles. What I have read, there's also an issue with the pinions. Do you know about this and if so, what upgrade did you go with?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
edgeverse

I have the exceed rc rally monster. Great truck for the price. Nitrorcx sell good trucks.
When I needed extra parts for just in case something breaks, I got some redcat vortex parts. totally compatible.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Dads like rc too

Excellent! Thanks Dads like rc too!

I am getting a new servo and alum knuckles. What I have read, there's also an issue with the pinions. Do you know about this and if so, what upgrade did you go with?

Just realize that the more questions you ask on here the more answers your gonna get. When you say pinion do you mean motor pinion or diff pinion. I don't think either are bad, but if you ask three other people you might get three different answers. In my opinion the motor pinion is a little soft. I've heard of guys converting to a Traxxas pinion but personally I get 3-4 months out of one so I wasn't that worried about it. The diff gears I've replaced twice. The second time taking more time to shim them better. Running bigger batteries will definately stress the diff gears a little more. Adjusting the punch control will help control the wear a little. Another example is the servos. Everybody says how bad they are and how quick they go out. I've yet to replace one. It's hard to prepare for everything. I don't have a Redcat dealer in my area, it's all Internet. You wouldn't believe the war chest of parts I have on hand. My cars are still always down waiting for the one gear or clip I don't have. Looks like you've done the research, and are attempting to be prepared, now get out there and have some fun with it.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
scotthg1

Dads like rc too its the gear pinion that you had discussed in the beginning of the thread. I do not have a Redcat dealer anywhere near me either, it will all have to be internet so I like to have known bad parts on hand just in case. I already purchased two new servos for replacements. A little more research and then I'll place an order sometime this week.
As soon as I recieve it, I'll post pics!

Old 05-13-2012, 07:46 PM
ThePenguins

Something to consider when deciding on the Caldera SC. You probably won't find many if any bodies that will fit.I believe it is quite a bit smaller in size compared to a traxxas slash and all of the other popular short course trucks on the market.

Other than that I think the Caldera vehicles perform well and I definitely recommend electric for children.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Dads like rc too

Dads like rc too its the gear pinion that you had discussed in the beginning of the thread. I do not have a Redcat dealer anywhere near me either, it will all have to be internet so I like to have known bad parts on hand just in case. I already purchased two new servos for replacements. A little more research and then I'll place an order sometime this week.
As soon as I recieve it, I'll post pics!

oh okay I read back through my posts and I guess I wasn't very specific. first off I told you I thought the motor pinions were a little soft, but then I didn't recommend anything better. I could see how it sounds confusing. the reason being as I continue to use the stock pinion. I found as long as you keep up with your mesh they seem to last for 3 or 4 months. I've read on the forum where guys have used other pinions on it I just felt it was never needed
Old 04-25-2013, 02:51 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

i have a exceed infinity i was given....front was trashed.
1: what model of redcat is close to this?
2: where can i get a body at??

found a sim truck chassis on da bay... may get that, and ust transfer engine over!