Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

getting really mad!

ok so heres the deal, after only 1 single run on my son's caldera the charger fried so I had a new one sent to me! Then after 2 more runs with this car the steering servo stripped out, according to the warranty info the gears and the like are not covered by warranty, so I am going to ask how much for a new one? I paid $213.00 for this car and if the servo is going to cost to much money I will then destroy this car and throw it away!! and then I will do my shopping elsewhere, I think that this is a bunch of crap, spending that much money and getting a car that keeps breaking down!! And just so you know my son drove it 2 times in 3 months cause of all the break downs> my son is a very careful driver so don't try to say it's his fault!Thanks for your time!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: getting really mad!

ORIGINAL: jason wilbar

ok so heres the deal, after only 1 single run on my son's caldera the charger fried so I had a new one sent to me! Then after 2 more runs with this car the steering servo stripped out, according to the warranty info the gears and the like are not covered by warranty, so I am going to ask how much for a new one? I paid $213.00 for this car and if the servo is going to cost to much money I will then destroy this car and throw it away!! and then I will do my shopping elsewhere, I think that this is a bunch of crap, spending that much money and getting a car that keeps breaking down!! And just so you know my son drove it 2 times in 3 months cause of all the break downs> my son is a very careful driver so don't try to say it's his fault!**Thanks for your time!
    I have owned many Redcat models...and I will admit that I always replace the servos.
    But you dont have to spend a bunch for a decent one. Pick up a MG996R servo (hobbpartz.com or ebay)
    They are like $10, have metal gears and are faster than the stock servo.

The chargers that ship with most RTR models also suck. NO, the shouldnt fry...but they take a crazy long time to charge a battery.

Hobbypartz.com has a thunder AC6 lipo charger for $45. It charges nimh, lipo and even lead acid batts! It can charge the stock batt in 1/2 hour! It can charge my 2s 5000mah lipos (which get my 1/2 runtime in my tornado epx pro) in just 1 hour.

If you are truely to frustrated...you can always pull the ESC/motor/radio, buy a cheap rolling chassis off ebay and put that gear in it.

You havent yet seen what that truck can do. on the stock battery its not bad....on a 2s lipo its a beast!

Lastly, spending alot of money and having your RC break is part of the hobby. Talk with someone who has a $600 HPI savage flux who has had to replace the metal diff gears cause the power of the motor can blow them apart! Those are not cheap gears either.
    Ive had a $500 KM 23cc baja (1/5 scale gasoline powered) that blew a tire on the 4th tank. Those tires cost $70 a pair!!!
    RC companies make more profit off of spare parts and upgrades than the do the models. Sucks, but thats how it is.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My response will probably sound a little like Nitrosports. I'm not sure if your new to the hobby, maybe you just wandered across the Caldera and thought it would be cool for the kids. Maybe you put a lot more thought about it and did a little research. I can say that like Nitro posted, an aftermarket charger is a must. But that doesn't mean your stock charger shouldn't work. Same goes for the servo. Everybody will tell you that with most RTR trucks the servos are crappy and should be replaced, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't function properly.

I will be the first to tell you that I'm a big supporter of Redcat. I'm not a dealer, but Redcat has made it affordable for me to be in this hobby with my kids. I own several different Redcats and up until just recently have been very happy with all the products I've purchased from them. So far I've had no major problems with our rc's. Any minor issues I've had I always said was a trade off for saving so much compared to some of the other manufactures. About a month ago I purchased a Volcano EPX for my 7 year old daughter. I decided on this model because at her age, I didn't need the speed that her brothers brushless Caldera provided. Also, price was a huge selling point. This truck was only a few dollars more than something you'd buy in Toys R Us. When I first un-boxed it, reverse didn't work. Redcat replaced the ESC under warranty. I wasn't that upset, I chalked it up to stuff like this happens, and the truck was still usable. After swapping out the ESC everything was fine for about 5-6 packs. Then the motor smoked. At this point we'd used it about 10-12 packs. I sent in a warranty claim. Redcat replaced the stock motor and in the email sent a little note about brushed motors. Now this isn't word for word but basically they told me to remember that brushed motors run very hot so I should keep the runtime to 6-7 minutes and then allow the motor to cool. I mean this sounds crazy. Can you imagine walking into a dealer and looking at any one of the brushed Redcats and the sales person tells you to only run it for 6-7 minutes or the motor will lock up. I will certainly not recommend the brushed Redcats to anyone after my experience with the Volcano EPX.

I could certainly see the frustration of a young teen that saved all their money up for one of these. They buy an extra battery and think they'll be going to the local park with both batteries charged and will be off and running...for 6-7 minutes.

Ok so if I lost you by know I apologize, but I guess the point I was trying to make is you have a good truck. The charger was unfortunate but almost had to be replaced, it's one of those things you just have to have in this hobby. The charger Nitrosports mentioned is probably the most bang for the buck out there, but still you can pick up a smart charger for as little as $25-$30 that will charge your nihm battery. The servo is another thing. It shouldn't break right away or even after a few weeks. It should last awhile. From what I've read on here, Redcat will likely replace it for you.

The Caldera is definately the most bang for the buck out there. Anything out there comparable would cost in the $400 range. My son is only 9 and he tortures his. It's seen a few diff gear replacements, and a few spurs, but other than that it's been a tough truck.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As dads like rc too said, anything comparable to the caldera is nearly double the price.

I have owned a traxxas slash 4x4. Both trucks are RTR, brushless and 4wd. The traxxas costs $400.

Granted, I never had an issue with the stock charger or servo with the traxxas....but driveshafts, shocks, and spurs were replaced fairly often. A set of rear shocks is nearly $20 and the shock shafts can get bent. The spur gear will strip if you dont have the slipper clutch set JUST right and the driveshafts(plastic) should have been done away with in favor of metal ones along time ago.

My point is simply that no matter how much you spent on the model itself...repairs and upgrading is part of the deal.

I dont want to sound like Im Jason, as it is indeed frustrating the problems you had. Usually the stock servos will last awhile. I cant say much for the stock chargers...they just suck. But I hope you will grab a replacement servo and install it. This hobby can be alot of fun, but does require some patience. It does get easier over time. when you get like myself, I have a room full of spare bits/electronics and such. Often, when something breaks I can find a spare or something as a patch job in my room...so I can keep the model running while spare parts are on the way.

good luck.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jason wilbar

ok so heres the deal, after only 1 single run on my son's caldera the charger fried so I had a new one sent to me! Then after 2 more runs with this car the steering servo stripped out, according to the warranty info the gears and the like are not covered by warranty, so I am going to ask how much for a new one? I paid $213.00 for this car and if the servo is going to cost to much money I will then destroy this car and throw it away!! and then I will do my shopping elsewhere, I think that this is a bunch of crap, spending that much money and getting a car that keeps breaking down!! And just so you know my son drove it 2 times in 3 months cause of all the break downs> my son is a very careful driver so don't try to say it's his fault!**Thanks for your time!
    To be fair you could have had that problem with teh very best RTR there is in the market. There are 2 rules about RTRs...first strip and rebuild them, or they WILL break because they are poorly assembled, and second, budget for a new servo in with teh purchase price. Even really high price RTRs have crappy servos. ALWAYS.

The servo you want is a Hitec 645MG, not the cheapest, but not expensive either, and definitely the best value.

As others have said also, the Caldera is very cheap for what it is. Consider that the HPI equivalent (big RC company HPI, good reputation, proper brand) is twice the price and has more issues.

It goes with the territory, and of course, let me just chuck in there, that with Redcat you tend to get fractionally more than you paid for, but not a lot.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to echo the echo of the echos. I have both a Red Cat Aftershock 3.5 ($250.00) and a Team Associated SC8 ($500.00). The SC8 is faster and handles a little better. It is also more scale looking but to say there is a $250.00 difference in them is a stretch. I have had nothing more than minor issues with either of them and both of them I have put through hell with crashes, flips, cartwheels, end over, ect. One of the things I like best about this hobby is the upkeep required to run it. If you dont break it you aint drivin it right LOL. That being said you have bought a toy that goes a lot faster than most of the parts cant handle in case of an accident. The hobby itself is a big money pit, hope you enjoy it. Be patient and it will be a lot of fun. FYI if you have the extra cash the best way to avoid the frustration of down time is to have more than one, and do maintenece/ repair time all at once, that way you dont have to leave the bash session when one breaks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am a first time buyer in the RC world so I wanted something I could learn on but still keep up with my friends who have the Traxxas, HPI, and Losi brand sc (short course) and mt (monster trucks) vehicles. I probably spent a good 3 weeks researching the right truck before i made my decision. After reading extensive forum reviews and weeding through all of the Redcat haters out there I finally came up with right truck at the right price for me. This SC10e Caldera is AWESOME! I have raced, jumped, smashed, and bashed this truck and it keeps on going. I've even taken it through puddles and mud (i dont recommend doing this unless you upgrade to a waterproof esc and motor) which had no effect on performance. The only minor hiccup so far was a rock wedging itself between the pinion and spur gears which made a clicking sound but was fixed immediately when the small rock was removed. I also love that this truck can be converted to more of a monster truck style very easily. You basically just need some new shock springs, tires, and body which you can find all at a pretty reasonable price on ebay.

At half or even a third of the price of the "higher quality" (more like well known) 4x4 sc1/10 scale trucks you cant go wrong with this Redcat Caldera. I was skeptical to buy this product as would any new buyer due to the abundance of information and reviews about RC cars out there, but this thing rips. All of my friends cant believe it keeps up with their $600 short course trucks. I have kept the entire thing stock for now but when i purchased the vehicle I bought some extra goodies (upgrades) for it just from all of the bad reviews about this truck's steering servo and tires. That being said, I purchased an additional set of "ProLine Tires" with beefier tread for the dirt and a metal gear servo. I also went with a 5000mah 7.4v 2s Lipo battery which just needed the charger and necessary adapter (4.0mm banana plug to charger adapter). All I can say is this thing is insanely fast! Wheelies all the way down my street at 40mph+! The run time is almost double the stock battery as well, I definitely recommend getting a Lipo battery if you have some extra $. I also picked up some extra spur and pinion gears just in case (I am told they go out quite a bit).

Overall, this thing is a beast and i would recommend it to any new or even advanced RC hobbyists. It is a completely hobby grade and upgrade-able RC truck and as i mentioned earlier, has no problem keeping up with the other $$$ brands right out of the box. Have fun out there...I sure am with my Caldera.

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: redcatyodafan

"higher quality" (more like well known)
    Naw, sorry, they are much higher quality, make no mistake. Do they represent 'as good' value for money as Redcat? Some do, but not as often as they should.

Also, please avoid resurrecting years old threads.Thanks.

Hey, why don't you make your own thread? You clearly have a lot of Redcat experience to share! I'm locking this one now so it drops back down the list.

Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator