Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

ESC Light Stays Red/

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:15 PM
bpohl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESC Light Stays Red/

My sons Exceed Monster truck has EZ-run s10 ESC in it. When you turn the truck on it turns red. It will go forward but will not go in Reverse. It acts like it is keeping the brake on at all times. I can throttle it forward and it will turn green, but as soon as I let it come back to the neutral position the motor breaks and the light turns green. I have tried several time to program it, with out luck. I am thinkng the ESCis Fried. Tried using a different radio and reciever and it did the samething. Anyone else had this issue? Just FYI I noticed this recently when the trucl would not go into reverse and the truck was shutting off with the motor extremely hot to the touch
Old 06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ESC Light Stays Red/

If it has full power in forward and brakes like it should......but just doesnt go into reverse then it sounds like the ESC is in forward only mode.

There is a way to program those settings of the ESC without a program card...but its a huge pain.

You said tried to program it....do you mean calibrate the ESC to the radio? Or did you get the ESC into program mode and follow the step sheet in the ESC manual?
on this link, the 3rd page shows how to put the ESC into programing mode and set the driving mode:
http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...l/HW-13-v2.pdf

also, the motor can be very hot to the touch but not be overheating. those motors can get as hot as 180-190 without damage (tho they with stock settings it should only be 130-160)
But 120-140 is very hot to the touch.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
bpohl

Yes. I have programmed this ESC once before when I had to change the LVP.  But now when u turn it on u can hear a slight hum/whin and u cannot turn the center driveline? I used the same steps to try and program it but no luck. The motor is running around 120 when it shuts off??   When the truck is off the motor runs freely.  I have also tried to calibrate the ESC to the radio with no luck their either.  I have tried two different radio and receivers with same affect?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
bpohl

Just ordered a ESC Programmer. Will see if I can get it to program that way.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds very odd.
I can say for sure that the ESC shouldnt thermal unless it gets over 160, or the motor gets over 190ish.
It should certainly not be shutting down at 120!
Old 06-09-2012, 02:11 PM
bpohl

Well i tried. I got a Hobbywing programming box and tried to hook it up. It  won't read the ESC it wil hook to my computer but won't hook to the ESC. So figure it is fried. Time to look for a new ESC.