Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Sumo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Shady9503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sumo help

So i bought the sumo truggy and i love the thing, played with it a couple days and i felt i needed more power, so i grabbed the 180 upgraded motor and the heatsink, and had my redcat dealer order me the rechargable batteries, when i got home i put the new motor in and put it all back together, i went to run it and the second i hit the throttle, the little guy flies backwards, i already checked the throttle reverse, i switched it but it makes the motor run slower becuase with throttle reverse on the motor runs at the speed it should in reverse, when i back up its a speed demon and runs at the speed it should going forward lol can anyone help me solve this? thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
ThePenguins

Default RE: Sumo help

Sounds like the wires from the motor to the esc are backwards
Old 06-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ThePenguins

Sounds like the wires from the motor to the esc are backwards
2nd this. I had to solder mine onto the pcb board.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
derailed75

Turn the body around. Joking man Im a nitro guy, but good luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM
Shady9503

Hmm well thats intresting! lol well dads since you've done this do you think you can tell me what you did? it would help alot! thanks
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

Hmm well thats intresting! lol well dads since you've done this do you think you can tell me what you did? it would help alot! thanks
Can't remember now, when you replaced the motor did it plug in or did you solder it to the board. The more I think about it, the more I remember soldering the battery leads to the board. I can look on one of my sumo's in the morning, but if it plugs in I would try reversing the plug. If it was soldered on, unsolder the connections and resolder them in reverse order.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Shady9503

Nawh i plugged the motor in, i didnt do any soldering lol, soldering isnt an issue i just need to know what to solder to where lol?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
ThePenguins

Well you have two wires soldered onto your motor. Those two wires need to be switched around.You may switch them at the point that they meet the motor, or you may switch them where they are soldered to the board. You could even cut the wires and solder one to the other. You sort of have a (+) charge going to the (-) side of the motor and a (-) charge going to the (+) side of the motor if that makes more sense.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Shady9503

Ahh understood so i just gotta move the black wire to where the red one is and the red one to where the black on is on the actual motor itself, easy enough, ill do that when i get home and let you know! thanks
Old 06-02-2012, 02:15 PM
ThePenguins

I was drawing a picture to help you understand as you replied. Sounds like you got it down, but I can't allow this masterpiece to go to waste so I'll post it anyway. I'm assuming that's how it connects to the board anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15479.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1768324  
Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Shady9503

Yeaup i just switched the wires on the motor with the soldering gun XD works great now nice drawing :P