Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

best quality tools to work on vehicles?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

best quality tools to work on vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:21 PM
rcenth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best quality tools to work on vehicles?

my screw drivers and hex screw set keep stripping out screws, what brand of tools are the best to get that won't do that?

thanks
Old 05-27-2012, 06:27 PM
edgeverse

Default RE: best quality tools to work on vehicles?

I tried some ebay specials (tools) but finally got a good set.
Here's a blog post I typed up on it:

http://www.ag-rcworld.com/?e=23
Old 05-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing is making sure your using the right hex key. Some of these models use a mixture of standard and metric hex bolts. Make sure you have both on hand when doing repairs. You can get a set of both from home depot for about $20.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM
rcenth

oh ok, i was just checking to see if the hex key fits the screw instead of actually checking the measurement. does that set edgeverse mention have both? i got my hex key set from home depot and i stripped the engine mount screws but, it was probably since i didn't check the exact hex measurement
Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 PM
edgeverse

It has standard and metric.

NUT DRIVERS- 4, 5, 5.5, 7, & 8mm
HEX DRIVERS- 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5 & 4mm
PHILLIPS- 0, 00 & 1
FLATHEAD- 2, 3 & 4
BOX WRENCH- 5 & 8mm
RACHETING HANDLE

Part #   DYN2833
Old 05-27-2012, 07:54 PM
rcenth

the amazon reviews dont look that good on that set (some people complaining about the quality of the ratchet) but, if you recommend them I'll try it! gonna get it from there since i have prime so will get free 2 day shipping.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HUDY by a country mile, but oh my lord, you'll pay for the privilege. Very expensive tools, but I have a few and I can assure you they are worth every penny.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...41&filter_cat=
Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 AM
rcenth

yeah i stumbled upon those last night, they look real tempting but, pricey as you said not sure if i'm ready to pull the trigger on that yet but, very tempting!

ORIGINAL: Foxy

HUDY by a country mile, but oh my lord, you'll pay for the privilege. Very expensive tools, but I have a few and I can assure you they are worth every penny.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...41&filter_cat=
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Foxy

If you use an electric screwdriver, these are quite a bargain...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...40-58-Phillips
Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
rcenth

i don't have an electric screw driver but, would be willing to get one (actually prefer them) which is a good one to get that would work with these tips?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM
edgeverse

These all look like good sets, but a bit pricey.

I looked through my tower hobbie catalog to get some prices and I seen a set for 159.00 from Duratrax.

Personally, I like the Dynamite set. My wife and use them on our rc's.
Me my cars, her her copters.

We have used the sets from home depot, lowes etc, and they all strip or do not fit properly.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:22 PM
rcenth

I went ahead and ordered that Dynamite set but, still looking for others as a backup incase. Since people seem to be saying that the ratchet itself is stripping out, I haven't seen anybody say that the screws are stripping out so that's good but, having issues with the ratchet itself. I saw this on another site that had reviews as well as amazon. Though it could be user error or just a defective item they received. I'm assuming you didn't run into these issues so that's a good sign.

ORIGINAL: edgeverse

These all look like good sets, but a bit pricey.

I looked through my tower hobbie catalog to get some prices and I seen a set for 159.00 from Duratrax.

Personally, I like the Dynamite set. My wife and use them on our rc's.
Me my cars, her her copters.

We have used the sets from home depot, lowes etc, and they all strip or do not fit properly.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Foxy

I've had really expensive ratchets, at screwdriver size, they are all a bit 'fussy' after a few thousand screws. My ratchet screwdriver doesn't see much use these days because....

I use [link=http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/KC460LN/]this (clicky)[/link] for all my RC stuff, it is absolutely awesome and costs like 40 bucks I guess. It charges quick, lasts forever and for its size it's got unbelievable torque, it pulled out blue threadlocked diff screws from my Savage flux diffs the other day with philips screws, not hex, that's quite a feat for any electric driver, I never expected it to pull it off. Those Hudy tips will slot right in, but you'll need a good set of bits, I have some german bits right now by KS tools, they're good but not fantastic, one of the philips heads is starting to wear. But at least the bits are cheap to replace. The important thing is I cut my time to disassemble and reassemble a Savage by 60% when I started using that driver.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM
rcenth

i have this black and decker one already, do you think this is similar? good enough?
also sorry this is going to sound silly i'm not that mechanically inclined yet, i thought those hudsy tips were the drill bits, you're saying i need to get something else along with those to get those tips to work? i was imagining just taking those and putting them directly into the drill. would you mind linking me to the bits that i would need?

also i guess i was wrong what i said above not having an electric screw driver, i had forgot about this until i saw the one you mentioned
Old 05-28-2012, 02:46 PM
edgeverse

So far, I have not encountered any issues with this set. Nothing wearing or stripping. In fact, my wife trusted this set with her Synergy N5 nitro rc helicopter.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: rcenth

i have this black and decker one already, do you think this is similar? good enough?
also sorry this is going to sound silly i'm not that mechanically inclined yet, i thought those hudsy tips were the drill bits, you're saying i need to get something else along with those to get those tips to work? i was imagining just taking those and putting them directly into the drill. would you mind linking me to the bits that i would need?
[img][/img]

also i guess i was wrong what i said above not having an electric screw driver, i had forgot about this until i saw the one you mentioned

I would strongly advise against using your drill to screw into plastic RC models. In order to use the Hudy bits, you need a regular magnetic hex input on your ratcheted or electric screwdriver. It's a standard fitment, nothing to worry about. Head down to the hardware store with some pics, they'll get what you need.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 AM
rcenth

Ok, got it.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: rcenth

[img][/img]

I would strongly advise against using your drill to screw into plastic RC models. In order to use the Hudy bits, you need a regular magnetic hex input on your ratcheted or electric screwdriver. It's a standard fitment, nothing to worry about. Head down to the hardware store with some pics, they'll get what you need.