Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat any good for light bashers?

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat any good for light bashers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Microz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redcat any good for light bashers?

Hey there. So i have a redcat twister XTG pro that i am currently rebuilding; i have never run it before and need to buy new electronics for it since i put the electronics it came with in another car i sold. So I am primarily into planes and do not plan on racing or bashing rc cars too hard. All i plan on doing is running through the street, running through grass, and maybe run through a little bit of dirt, mulch etc. Also, i only plan on jumping them off of a ramp about the size of a bike ramp. I dont want to buy an extremely expensive Traxxas or HPI car based on what i want to do. Will a redcat be a good choice for the type of stuff I plan on doing?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Redcat any good for light bashers?

well, everyones experience will differ.

I have bashed all of the epx pro models, the caldera models and found them to hold up well.

Are you going to install a brushed, or brushless system in it?

Old 05-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Microz

I would probably be buying the brushless version...seems like a better deal for the price.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:19 PM
rccrazer

i like my redcats. i wouldn't have 11 of them if i didn't
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Microz

Oh cool!!!! thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of responses did u expect asking this in the owners forum lol. just sayin.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Foxy

What kind of responses did u expect asking this in the owners forum lol. just sayin.
I'd have to agree with this statement but to be honest, I'm a big supporter of Redcat as long as were not comparing them to some other $600-$700 race ready car. They're a great value for the price. I think the twister line is the weaker of the bunch when comparing them to other Redcat models. I have three Redcats in the house and just recently sold my Tornado S30. They've all been great for someone who wants to just go run them around the yard or dirt lot, some mild jumping/bashing. Don't try to compare it to a Revo or a Savage, apples to oranges.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
derailed75

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I'd have to agree with this statement but to be honest, I'm a big supporter of Redcat as long as were not comparing them to some other $600-$700 race ready car. They're a great value for the price. I think the twister line is the weaker of the bunch when comparing them to other Redcat models. I have three Redcats in the house and just recently sold my Tornado S30. They've all been great for someone who wants to just go run them around the yard or dirt lot, some mild jumping/bashing. Don't try to compare it to a Revo or a Savage, apples to oranges.

+1 Dads, I have both an Aftershock 3.5 and an Associated SC8. There is no compairison the SC8 is a much better truck. Handles better, is faster, fixes easier, ect. ect. However it cost twice as much as my Red Cat and both are very durable trucks. In a race it would not even be close ( with drivers of the same skill level) But for bashing Red Cats are great trucks and priced just right for someone not sure of staying in the hobby. I thought long and hard before I bought my first new truck ( the Aftershock) and without the experiance it gave me I would have never dumped $500.00 on the SC8. I dont drive it as much as the SC8 but when I break it out I still have a blast with it. PS these things were made for bashing, and with the seemingly constant improvements Red Cat does to there trucks I dont think it will be long before they hit the racing scene.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Goatcrapp

i'll be honest, - i found them to be absolute crap out of the box...     i was using strictly 1/8 scale redcats, so i can't comment on the others.    With that said however, i'll also happily admit i now own 3 redcats.  If yours doesn't have aluminum c hubs and spring caps, and the updated servo saver design - you'll be very frustrated.   Redcat was great about replacing the problem items on my first truck once they figured out the issues.   The only issue i have left is the spur gear.  my solution:  stopped using a redcat one - haven't had problems since (found a similar sized/tooth count steel one to replace it with)

if the redcat you're looking for has had those issues fixed (chubs, spring caps, and servo saver) or has the updated designs already installed - then you'll be good for light to medium bashing.  I'm partial to the backdraft and aftershock 8e's.  I don't bring them heavy bashing though - i have a an MGT for that.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 AM
derailed75

Goat, I have stripped the spur gear in everything I have except the SC8, so I wouldnt hold that against them and I have SC8, Aftershock 3.5, RC10GT,Duratrax Warhead, and had a TowerHobbies ST-15 ( stripped that too.). Red Cat has a metal spur gear for the Aftershock, since I replaced mine with that I have had no issues either.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Goatcrapp

i'll be honest, - i found them to be absolute crap out of the box... i was using strictly 1/8 scale redcats, so i can't comment on the others. With that said however, i'll also happily admit i now own 3 redcats. If yours doesn't have aluminum c hubs and spring caps, and the updated servo saver design - you'll be very frustrated. Redcat was great about replacing the problem items on my first truck once they figured out the issues. The only issue i have left is the spur gear. my solution: stopped using a redcat one - haven't had problems since (found a similar sized/tooth count steel one to replace it with)

if the redcat you're looking for has had those issues fixed (chubs, spring caps, and servo saver) or has the updated designs already installed - then you'll be good for light to medium bashing. I'm partial to the backdraft and aftershock 8e's. I don't bring them heavy bashing though - i have a an MGT for that.
I think over the years Redcat has made many improvements. From what I've heard the Redcats of today are a vast improvement compared to when they got into the game. Do they still have some weak points...sure but especially for people starting out they're hard to beat for the price. Definately agree about the c- hubs and plastic steering knuckles. The lightweight series and Caldera line use these, but so do other companies like HPI. My nitro MT2 used the same steering setup, in fact I wound up replacing a lot of my HPI parts with Redcat parts including upgraded diffs which were cheaper from Redcat and worked just as well.. The aluminum upgrades for the steering knuckles are almost a must for these parts. Luckily the pro series uses the pivot ball suspension steering knuckles, that's what's in my Monsoon XTR. Also the Volcano and Tornado use them as well and work a lot better without stripping out like the plastic C- hub setup will. The pivot ball design is also very similar to what Traxxas uses in their Revo platform.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
nitrosteve22

Caldera 3.0! Got a over a gallon on mine and going strong. It finally broke after hitting a full sized truck at around 35-40 mph. $15 in parts and it's like nothing happened. Or one of the 1/8th scale models.