Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Backdraft 8e or hurricane xte

there's a $70 difference between the two, so I am assuming that the hurricane is a better buggy, but is it worth the extra $70?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Backdraft 8e or hurricane xte

The Backdraft is a good platform, just the Hurricane is better all around. If you look at the two side by side with the lids off, you'd see right away that the Hurricane appears to be more of a pro-level buggy. I have the Monsoon XTR which is nitro but the chassis and drivetrain is very similar. My son has the Caldera 10e which is more or less a shrunk down version of the 1/8 scale lightweight series that the Backdraft is comprised of. The Hurricane will come stock with CVD's in the front, much heavier diff gears, stronger shock towers, much better shocks, 17mm hubs, and probably a lot more I can't think of. It's definately worth the extra money, but for the price, the Backdraft is a lot of buggy for the price.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the reply, my local redcat dealer has the Monsoon XTE for $380 and the Backdraft 8E for $320, I might just get the Monsoon, seems to be the best deal right now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love my Monsoon. Handles like a buggy but big like a monster truck. This one will stay in my arsenal for awhile.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So between the Monsoon XTE and Backdraft 8e, which one would you choose, and why.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: agepag

So between the Monsoon XTE and Backdraft 8e, which one would you choose, and why.
    we'll I would choose the Monsoon for all the reasons in my first post. The Monsoon is basically widened version of the Hurricane with monster truck size tires. But don't feel like the Backdraft is no good, its just not on the same level as the pro series models. In this hobby, you can always go bigger and better, just depends on how much money you want to spend. If the Backdraft fits your budget, but it and have fun with it. Its worth the price, if you have a bigger budget and want a little more, go for the Monsoon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Monsoon/Hurricane/Avalanche etc. 

hands down over the Earthquake/ AS/ and BD versions.

Built more like a true 8th scale buggy which will hassle abuse.  IMO, and I work for a dealer, Its much much better.  The weakness in the "Ultralight series is the plastic front end.  All too often i have customers who bring in wrecked front ends from hard landings.  They just don't hold up.  With the hurricane, the whole chassis is metal and the plastic is beefier where it needs to be.

Spend the $$ and go the true 8th scale route.  you won't regret it.

MOmo

From all the videos i've been watching the last few weeks, the backdraft seems much faster. Even with near identical hardware, I havent seen a hurricane going as fast as Backdraft does.

Raeodor, having driven both, perhaps the backdraft seems faster because it doesn't handle as well? In a drag race the XTE will smoke the ultralight all day long. In the durability category, the backdraft spends about 3 times as much time as the XTE on the bench. Frankly the backdraft doesn't even get driven. I personally wouldn't miss the ultralights if Redcat scraped them... They are one of the biggest reasons people call Redcat cheap. If they had left them 1/10th scale cars they would have been okay, but making a 1/10th car 1/8th is asking a bit much.

Considering the XTE does about 40 and backdraft does about 50, at least from what I been hearing from owners and buggy descriptions. I would be gearing up the XTE either way since it has a more powerful motor but lower gearing than backdraft. Also they are both 1/8th scale.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    XTE's are based off a more common 1/8 scale buggy/truggy platform. The 8e models are a proprietary design. If you look at ofna, losi, hpi and other 1/8 brushless buggies or truggies you will see their layout looks similar to the XTE. That layout is more proven, but for racing and for bashing.
    Id still like to own a backdraft 8e tho. Ive had a earthquake and it held up pretty well....and Id think the buggy version would hold up better due to the smaller tires putting less stress on parts.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,