Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Backdraft 8e or hurricane xte

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:07 PM
agepag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backdraft 8e or hurricane xte

there's a $70 difference between the two, so I am assuming that the hurricane is a better buggy, but is it worth the extra $70?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Backdraft 8e or hurricane xte

The Backdraft is a good platform, just the Hurricane is better all around. If you look at the two side by side with the lids off, you'd see right away that the Hurricane appears to be more of a pro-level buggy. I have the Monsoon XTR which is nitro but the chassis and drivetrain is very similar. My son has the Caldera 10e which is more or less a shrunk down version of the 1/8 scale lightweight series that the Backdraft is comprised of. The Hurricane will come stock with CVD's in the front, much heavier diff gears, stronger shock towers, much better shocks, 17mm hubs, and probably a lot more I can't think of. It's definately worth the extra money, but for the price, the Backdraft is a lot of buggy for the price.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:46 AM
agepag

Thanks for the reply, my local redcat dealer has the Monsoon XTE for $380 and the Backdraft 8E for $320, I might just get the Monsoon, seems to be the best deal right now.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Dads like rc too

I love my Monsoon. Handles like a buggy but big like a monster truck. This one will stay in my arsenal for awhile.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 AM
agepag

So between the Monsoon XTE and Backdraft 8e, which one would you choose, and why.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: agepag

So between the Monsoon XTE and Backdraft 8e, which one would you choose, and why.
we'll I would choose the Monsoon for all the reasons in my first post. The Monsoon is basically widened version of the Hurricane with monster truck size tires. But don't feel like the Backdraft is no good, its just not on the same level as the pro series models. In this hobby, you can always go bigger and better, just depends on how much money you want to spend. If the Backdraft fits your budget, but it and have fun with it. Its worth the price, if you have a bigger budget and want a little more, go for the Monsoon.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:30 AM
86MOmo

Monsoon/Hurricane/Avalanche etc. 

hands down over the Earthquake/ AS/ and BD versions.

Built more like a true 8th scale buggy which will hassle abuse.  IMO, and I work for a dealer, Its much much better.  The weakness in the "Ultralight series is the plastic front end.  All too often i have customers who bring in wrecked front ends from hard landings.  They just don't hold up.  With the hurricane, the whole chassis is metal and the plastic is beefier where it needs to be.

Spend the $$ and go the true 8th scale route.  you won't regret it.

MOmo
Old 01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Raeodor

From all the videos i've been watching the last few weeks, the backdraft seems much faster. Even with near identical hardware, I havent seen a hurricane going as fast as Backdraft does.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:23 PM
foxys

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raeodor, having driven both, perhaps the backdraft seems faster because it doesn't handle as well? In a drag race the XTE will smoke the ultralight all day long. In the durability category, the backdraft spends about 3 times as much time as the XTE on the bench. Frankly the backdraft doesn't even get driven. I personally wouldn't miss the ultralights if Redcat scraped them... They are one of the biggest reasons people call Redcat cheap. If they had left them 1/10th scale cars they would have been okay, but making a 1/10th car 1/8th is asking a bit much.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
Raeodor

Considering the XTE does about 40 and backdraft does about 50, at least from what I been hearing from owners and buggy descriptions. I would be gearing up the XTE either way since it has a more powerful motor but lower gearing than backdraft. Also they are both 1/8th scale.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

XTE's are based off a more common 1/8 scale buggy/truggy platform. The 8e models are a proprietary design. If you look at ofna, losi, hpi and other 1/8 brushless buggies or truggies you will see their layout looks similar to the XTE. That layout is more proven, but for racing and for bashing.
Id still like to own a backdraft 8e tho. Ive had a earthquake and it held up pretty well....and Id think the buggy version would hold up better due to the smaller tires putting less stress on parts.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:39 PM
Stryker48

Originally Posted by Raeodor
From all the videos i've been watching the last few weeks, the backdraft seems much faster. Even with near identical hardware, I havent seen a hurricane going as fast as Backdraft does.

Yes old post I know! ... "bite me!"

Online videos is not proof of anything! ... besides it's not possible to tell by a video alone, how fast a car is actually going. The only time you could make an assumption which might be faster, is if you have seen the Backdraft 8E and Hurricane XTE in a race-off. (There is no such video that I'm aware of.)

I can however tell you that the top speed of the Hurricane XTE is 70 km/h = 45 mph (stock out of the box)..I know as I have one!
I can't speak on the top speed of the Backdraft 8E, as I don't have one.
You will know since you appear to have done some research, that the overall consensus is that the Hurricane is a lot more durable than the Backdraft 8E.

Why some people are so hooked on top speed when it comes to off-road buggies, is somewhat beyond me, as top speeds are rarely accomplished on off-road race circuits.
"It's NOT the buggy's top speed that wins races ... it's the drivers skill and consistency that DOES!"

If speed is your primary concern, perhaps a buggy is not the best choice for you. If you want to bash however, top speed should be your least concern. Durability should be your primary concern!

If however you're looking to compete, you are barking up the wrong tree entirely as Redcats are in no ways competitive (not their market), when compared to the high end race level, competitive cars. You'll just be wasting your time and money and chasing after a dream what will never be realized!

Redcats are for all intensive purposes, entry level cars at an entry level price point, offering loads of performance and excellent bang for your $ more suited to the casual basher on a budget. They are nothing more, nor do they profess to be!

I personally would not recommend upgrading any Redcat with regards to changing pinions & gears, just to get better performance as the stock electronics are not designed to handle the upgrades and you STILL would not be competitive with the higher end brands.

Same goes for 'upgrading' to aluminum parts, which admittedly does ad cosmetic 'bling (if that's your thing!), however is rarely a better option over plastic.

"Just because you can....doesn't mean you should!"

Last edited by Stryker48; 03-03-2015 at 07:45 PM.