Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Does Redcat/HSP have an Electric 1/8th Truggy? Can it handle 6S?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Does Redcat/HSP have an Electric 1/8th Truggy? Can it handle 6S?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:49 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does Redcat/HSP have an Electric 1/8th Truggy? Can it handle 6S?

Hi folks, as title really, I'm looking for a cheap electric truggy to bash this summer. I don't care what electronics are in the car, I have a system ready to go in. What concerns me is drivetrain durability. If Redcat has an electric truggy, which I guess they do, I would like any comments from anyone who has run a good few packs through it on 6S regarding the drivetrain. Please don't tell me 'it's fine on 4S', or 'my friend thinks...', I'm looking for first hand experience of razzing the crap out of it on 6S. Thanks in advance.

OK, I saw its the monsoon... Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Does Redcat/HSP have an Electric 1/8th Truggy? Can it handle 6S?

I think the only RedCat that comes with 6s out-of-the-box is the 1/5th Rampage XB-E. But even the smaller ones should be fine if you have an ESCthat can do it: the Caldera 1/10th, Earthquake/Aftershock/Backdraft 1/8th and Shredder 1/6th's all use the same differentials and gearboxes... and Irun 6s in my Shredder SC after only swapping in a 150ESC (so running 6s through the stock motor). No problems so far.

Here's my two short-course RedCats: 1/10th Caldera (3s) on top and 1/6th Shredder (6s) below - front+rear diffs+gearboxes are identical:

But if you already have the electrics, why are you looking at RedCat? They only sell RTR new and there aren't many used. You can probably get a 1/8th Associated or Losi eTruggy roller used for $150-$200.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't need it to come with 6S (lord knows I don't want those RTR electronics, straight in the bin!), I'm specifically after building a 6S truggy from a cheap chassis with top electronics, but I've actually gone ahead and bought an Xray XT8 to convert to brushless for this project now. Thanks for the reply anyway.

As for Associated/Losi you can't get them that cheaply over here unfortunately, and I don't want used. To be honest, I was curious what the stock drivetrain of the monsoon could handle, but then this Xray truggy popped up from a friend of a friend, brand new, for a good price, I couldn't say no.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:42 PM
kelynsdad1023

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look at the Monsoon XTE