Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Batteries for Lightning EPX standard

Hello,

I am a newbie to the hobby and bought a Lightning to get started. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best battery is for the model. It came with an 1800mah battery, but I bought some 3000mah. The engine burned out after a couple runs with them. The ESC is rated to 3600. Not sure why...like I said, I am a newbie! Haha! Thank you all for your time and assistance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Batteries for Lightning EPX standard

I would stick with the smaller batteries. My daughters Volcano Epx burned the motor in 4 packs. Redcat actually sent me an email saying brushed motors run very hot and to keep the run times to 6-7 minutes. Can you imagine that... 6-7 minutes. I would have never purchased it if I knew this ahead of time. So far I've had no complaints with any of their models , but this is the last brushed model I will buy from them
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Drive it like you stole it!

Yeah, its what I've learned too...heat issue. Imagine all that juice flooding into that motor...it'll heat up. Do you have a heat sink?

But still, run into the ground thenlet it cool off and slap another battery pack in there and let it loose!

Cheers!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you both!!!  Dads like rc too- 6-7 minutes!? That's just when I'm starting to have fun. Not right at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it to the 1800. I just bought a new motor. When that goes, I'll look into the brushless.madweasel- No heat sink. I'll probably burn the new motor out purposely so I can upgrade to brushless. Cheers to you!

Again, thank you both!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bsm5774

Thank you both!!!**Dads like rc too- 6-7 minutes!? That's just when I'm starting to have fun. Not right at all. Thanks for the advice! I'll keep it to the 1800. I just bought a new motor. When that goes, I'll look into the brushless.madweasel- No heat sink. I'll probably burn the new motor out purposely so I can upgrade to brushless. Cheers to you!

*Again, thank you both!!!

yeah thats crazy to think you would only want to run it 6 or 7 minutes. in my son brushless Caldera we run packs back to back without any heat issues.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Excellent! I'll be burning this motor out so I have an excuse to go brushless. Hahaha!!!