Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Sumo RC issues

Old 07-03-2012, 01:43 AM
lifeismuddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sumo RC issues

Is anyone having issues with the main gear (mounted on driveshaft) stripping or breaking teeth? I have sold 9 of these in the past couple weeks with 3 returned within a day with this issue. All 3 were truggys stock out of the box no mods. I know they are the same platform as the trucks but I have not had any of the trucks returned for this issue. I have had 2 trucks come back because of servo issues tho. I have a store demp truck with the 180 mod and aluminum upgrades and never had any issues with it and it has been through some tough runs and jumps.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:17 AM
NewRageRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sumo RC issues

I wouldn't say I've seen an issue but out of 8 or so Sumos I've seen it happen a handful of times. Mine stripped because I over tightened the motor mount screws, bored  out the holes and couldn't keep a good mesh. The neighbor kid likes to run in to things and keep pulling on the throttle. Grass particularly seems to like to strip them out.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 AM
lifeismuddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sumo RC issues

Yea I could see that happening from overtightening but these are stock out of box. and its not breaking the bigger part its breaking the smaller portion of the gear that contacts the the diff. the teeth are actually breaking clean off no other wear on them. has to be cheap plastic production flaw or bad setup. I know you cannot expect much from a car in this line but can expect more than that from it.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 PM
skippy90210

I just bought the truggy and I think why you got those back and not the truck is because the wing. If you do a wheelie the wing stops it from fliping back instead just catches traction and well there's no slipper clutch so the power has to go somewhere. My friend has the Truck and his will just flip back and prevent that but that's just my opinion could be other factors

Search this Thread