Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Earthquake 3.5 differntial

So i had an issue with my earthquake where after about 5 mins of run time, all the power would go to my front wheels, i thought my differntial was done considering i tore the care apart and couldnt find a loose screw anywhere (loctited everything when i got it) so i assumed something in the differential, i picked up a new diff from a local redcat dealer and when im putting the screws in i noticed that the second i tighten them around the diff case the differential stops spinning completely, lossen them and it spins fine, im confused because i dont wanna seal the differential and put it back together and when i go to run the truck see the rear wheels not spin and get stuck taking it apart again,
    Tornado S30, Earthquake 3.5, Hurricane XTR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Earthquake 3.5 differntial

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

*So i had an issue with my earthquake where after about 5 mins of run time, all the power would go to my front wheels, i thought my differntial was done considering i tore the care apart and couldnt find a loose screw anywhere (loctited everything when i got it) so i assumed something in the differential, i picked up a new diff from a local redcat dealer and when im putting the screws in i noticed that the second i tighten them around the diff case the differential stops spinning completely, lossen them and it spins fine, im confused because i dont wanna seal the differential and put it back together and when i go to run the truck see the rear wheels not spin and get stuck taking it apart again,
    Did you make sure your installing the correct screw in the correct space. I'm not sure but I thought there are at least two different length screws. They're the same thread and pitch. It very easy to put the longer screws into the shorter holes. Doing this will certainly bind the diff.
    SELLING MONSOON XTR WITH UPGRADED AND LOTS OF SPARE PARTS - PM FOR DETAILS
    Caldera 10e : Volcano EPX : Monsoon XTR : Sumo x2 :

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah i took out the screws they are the same length and everything, once i tighten the screws even a little the diff binds and its confusing ive had my truck apart for a week now its frustrating lol

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

check to make sure there are no like no little nipples and what what not on the ring gear, I had them on a few diffs thatIbought for that truck. if there are it won't spin in right in the housing. Just grind it down a tad and it should work.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So i finally found my problem! after checking grub screws, drive shafts, differentials and everything i possibly could and not finding a problem i sat down and thought "things dont just not work like that. theres a reason somewhere." i took off the rims, and took off the rim hub, the inside of my rim hub was completely stripped out, so the pin that was there would just spin, without giving power at all, rendering the rear end powerless just thought id update incase someone runs into a similar situation!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

interesting ive never had any problems with my EQ 3.5 aside from driver errors or bashing to hard with things breaking . Iguess im one of the lucky ones .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Same here, its an amazing truck it holds its tune i put it through hell it only breaks when i screw up sometimes, like hitting a curb :P this one problem confused me though but finally figured it out and had some fun with it today