Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

tornado S30 weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Shady9503

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tornado S30 weird issue

I have this weird issue with my tornado S30, i start it up and she idles fine its never given me trouble, ive put it through alot lol but recently whats happening is it wont really move, i give it some throttle and it revs up, the gears spin but it wont go, when i give it full throttle it starts moving but ever so slightly, ive checked grub screws, all tight as can be and i had already loctited them, gears arent stripped, clutch is fine, no dog bones missing this leaves me thinking differentials but im not sure, when i roll it back and forth i get a loud clicking sound and it starts resisting getting rolled around, any help would be appreciated!!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: tornado S30 weird issue

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

I have this weird issue with my tornado S30, i start it up and she idles fine its never given me trouble, ive put it through alot lol but recently whats happening is it wont really move, i give it some throttle and it revs up, the gears spin but it wont go, when i give it full throttle it starts moving but ever so slightly, ive checked grub screws, all tight as can be and i had already loctited them, gears arent stripped, clutch is fine, no dog bones missing this leaves me thinking differentials but im not sure, when i roll it back and forth i get a loud clicking sound and it starts resisting getting rolled around, any help would be appreciated!!
what do you mean when you say "the gears spin but it won't go"? Also, have you checked to make sure the brake disc hasn't fused to the pads. If the disc overheats enough it can do that and keep the car from moving, but if you say you can roll it around then likely that is not the problem. Try cranking it up and lift one end off the ground while applying throttle, then put it down and lift the other end. This will give you a good indication if one of your diffs is locked up.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can tell if the clicking is from the trans or the front/rear diff that will help.

If only one diff went, the buggy would still move pretty fast. And its not very likely that both diffs went at the same time.

Its more likely the clicking is in the center trans. Id pull it of, take it apart and look for damage.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM
iiYolunda

I've had the same problemwith my Tornado S30 that it wouldnt move when I applied throttle and it made a clicking sound, check if your center dogbones are moving when you push the car backwards if they arent it could bethe one way bearing for the 47 tooth spur in the gear box. www.rufaster.com/06267.aspx
Old 08-16-2012, 02:09 PM
JohnP2

I agree it sounds like the one-way bearing on the spur gear. I have an Exceed Forza (exact same parts) and had the exact same issue.

One note....before ordering a new bearing, see if you can get the old one out. I could NOT, so recommend buying a new spur gear (47t) along with the bearing.

If you need help on how to take apart the transmission, I have some videos on my YouTube channel where I rebuilt the transmission (specifically Exceed Forza Spur Gear/Brakes. and Project Exceed Makeover: Part II). I hope that helps. Let us know what you find. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Shady9503

Thanks for all the help guys appreciate it! so ive taken the car completly apart (so fun lol) and my diffs are fine, i roll the car back and forth without the tranny in, and no clicking, i put the tranny in, it clicks so i think your right about the one way bearing, ill pick it up tommorow and see if that solves my problem! thanks guys! ill keep you posted
Old 08-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Shady9503

Just wondering, when i change my diffs what kind of grease does redcat put in there? is it oil or just grease because i know theres differntly weighted diff fluids, i just bash no racing and ive found the stock grease fine. thanks!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:35 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: Shady9503

Just wondering, when i change my diffs what kind of grease does redcat put in there? is it oil or just grease because i know theres differntly weighted diff fluids, i just bash no racing and ive found the stock grease fine. thanks!
The diffs usually come dry meaning a small wipe of thin grease on the inner planetary and out ring gear is all you get. Since the Tornado diffs are not sealed, you don't want to get carried away on the ring gear lubrication. A small amount of lithium grease will keep things lubed. Even with this you'll notice some grease blending from the diff cups but just wipe it off when your going over your buggy. As far as the inner gears go, for general playing around you can fill them up with the same lithium or of you want them to lock up a little more you can add 10.000 weight fluid. Some people like to mix and match their diff fluids like heavier in the rear so the diff is locked up more and lighter in the front for better cornering and climbing. I think for running around the yard just making sure you have some grease in them will be fine just to keep them from wearing.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too
The diffs usually come dry meaning a small wipe of thin grease on the inner planetary and out ring gear is all you get. Since the Tornado diffs are not sealed, you don't want to get carried away on the ring gear lubrication. A small amount of lithium grease will keep things lubed. Even with this you'll notice some grease blending from the diff cups but just wipe it off when your going over your buggy. As far as the inner gears go, for general playing around you can fill them up with the same lithium or of you want them to lock up a little more you can add 10.000 weight fluid. Some people like to mix and match their diff fluids like heavier in the rear so the diff is locked up more and lighter in the front for better cornering and climbing. I think for running around the yard just making sure you have some grease in them will be fine just to keep them from wearing.
This is great information. I have not touched the diffs yet (probably the only part) on my Exceed Forza, and appreciate the intel on how to maintain them, Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

This is great information. I have not touched the diffs yet (probably the only part) on my Exceed Forza, and appreciate the intel on how to maintain them, Thanks!
no problem. The diffs are probably the one of the most intimidating parts of the car second only to needle adjustment. Really simple stuff once you get one in your hand and tear it apart. Biggest problem is getting some of them out. A little hint, many of the diffs do not have to be removed to service or replace the gears. A lot of times you can just remove enough to take the top off and then just lift the gears out of the diff housing.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM
JohnP2

This really helps. My Forza is our "experimental" car. I also have a Losi 810, OFNA Hyper 7, and Savage X 4.6 (arriving tomorrow). In the seven months I've been into "the hobby", I've learned wrenching is my favorite aspect and love to rebuild and keep all components like new!

See our YouTube channel (link below) for a taste of the types of maintenance my 11-year old son and I employ in our rides.

Before getting into any of the "intimidating" aspects of maintenance (engine cleaning, transmission rebuild, differential maintenance, etc)our protocol is totry it first try it on our Forza so as to learn from our mistakes - as they always happen - due to the fact I don't run the Forza much and have patience for it being benched while we learn.

Consequently, it's great to have a car such as this to learn from, and consultation such as yours on the diff rebuild is very much appreciated!

I have to rebuild the transmission on our Forza (again), asit has the same symptoms as the OP (the one-way bearingon the first-speed spur gear is acting up). There is not much intel available to the masses on differential maintenance for these parts, and your expertise on these parts is quite rare (for a non Redcat/Exceed employee). ;-)

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

This really helps. My Forza is our ''experimental'' car. I also have a Losi 810, OFNA Hyper 7, and Savage X 4.6 (arriving tomorrow). In the seven months I've been into ''the hobby'', I've learned wrenching is my favorite aspect and love to rebuild and keep all components like new!

See our YouTube channel (link below) for a taste of the types of maintenance my 11-year old son and I employ in our rides.

Before getting into any of the ''intimidating'' aspects of maintenance (engine cleaning, transmission rebuild, differential maintenance, etc) our protocol is to try it first try it on our Forza so as to learn from our mistakes - as they always happen - due to the fact I don't run the Forza much and have patience for it being benched while we learn.

Consequently, it's great to have a car such as this to learn from, and consultation such as yours on the diff rebuild is very much appreciated!

I have to rebuild the transmission on our Forza (again), as it has the same symptoms as the OP (the one-way bearing on the first-speed spur gear is acting up). There is not much intel available to the masses on differential maintenance for these parts, and your expertise on these parts is quite rare (for a non Redcat/Exceed employee). ;-)

Thanks!
No problem John, keep wrenching. I'm trying to teach my 9 year old how these things work. Your Forza is a great way to figure things out. Believe it or not, replacing the spur in a two speed center drive can be tough. Not so much technically, but physically separating the spur from the slipper clutch can sometimes be "challenging". Pretty straight forward when you pop it out and look at it, but sometimes trying to compress the slipper clutch spring enough to remove the pin can just be a pain in the neck. Like I said earlier, everybody gets a little twitchy the first time they think they have to take the gears out of the front or rear magic boxes, but once you do it, you'll find it's no big deal.