Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

help with Hurricane XTE

Old 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
slhutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with Hurricane XTE

i need help with the diff's gears & pins on the hurricane. this will the 3rd time for the rear and the 2nd for the front. i use oil in them and put them in the correctly. is there a upgrade for this part#85736

Old 08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help with Hurricane XTE

ORIGINAL: slhutch

i need help with the diff's gears & pins on the hurricane. this will the 3rd time for the rear and the 2nd for the front. i use oil in them and put them in the correctly. is there a upgrade for this part#85736

The torque on the brushless models is very high especially if you've upgraded your lipo's to a high C rated battery. Even under ideal pinion setup your driving style could be one of the causes of failure. You said you put them in correctly, does that mean you've tried adding or reducing shims until you felt the pinion lash is correct? If your just replacing your diff gears with the amount of shim that came with it, it may not be correct now. The diff cases can stretch, the bearings can wear and provide more slop in the pinion shaft. Make sure you've thoroughly inspected all of these areas and not just the gears themselves. Also, about driving style, make sure your rolling on the throttle and not just grabbing full throttle every chance you get, even my son's Caldera 10e running on 2s will eat the gears running ths way. That also goes for slamming on brakes all the time, skidding sideways looks cool but chomps your gears also. Then last but not least, are you landing jumps throttle off? Landing under load will also destroy your gears sooner than later.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM
slhutch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have not tried adding shims. iam just replacing with the amount it came with. i don't know what a correct pinion lash feels like, is there a youtube video on this. this is my 1st brushless car so my driving style may have alot to do with the gears going bad so fast. thanks for your time and info this will realy help me

Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: slhutch

i don't know what a correct pinion lash feels like,

Your pinion lash is almost like your spur gear lash. Check the movement between the pinion and ring gear. If its too loose or too tight it will wear the gears. Rock it back and forth like a spur gear and add or subtract shims as needed to get it where it fits best.