Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Multi gear transmisson?

Reply
Old 08-25-2012, 06:45 PM
  #1
jbnn85
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clarksville , TN
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Multi gear transmisson?

Can you put a multi gear transmission in a Volcano S30 nitro rc form redcat?
jbnn85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 AM
  #2
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jbnn85

Can you put a multi gear transmission in a Volcano S30 nitro rc form redcat?
I put the volcano transmission in my Tornado so the Tornados two speed transmission will bolt in, however you will have to modify some things. You'll likely change the clutch bell to a smaller gear. The brake linkage will have to be modified and probably a few other small things. If your mechanically inclined and like to tinker, it will be a simple mod. If your capability is really just replacing stock components, it may be difficult.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM
  #3
nitrosportsandrunner
 
nitrosportsandrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skowhegan, ME
Posts: 9,502
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?

IMO, the volcano is to heavy for the 2peed trans to work.
With the added weight, and wider tires it will put more strain on the trans. And the 2speed trans is more prone to breakage than the single speed (naturally, more parts, more to go wrong)

If you want more power...or faster acceleration, then you can gear down the motor with a smaller pinion or larger spur.

Or, you can upgrade the motor to a larger one.
nitrosportsandrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM
  #4
jbnn85
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: clarksville , TN
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?

thank you for the info. i am tring to do some research on these rc trucks before i buy one. i have a str lightning from redcat racing. i just totally love it. i really want to get a truck that i can take off road. i am still new to the rc hobby. i still have lots to learn.
jbnn85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:30 AM
  #5
nitrosportsandrunner
 
nitrosportsandrunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skowhegan, ME
Posts: 9,502
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jbnn85

thank you for the info. i am tring to do some research on these rc trucks before i buy one. i have a str lightning from redcat racing. i just totally love it. i really want to get a truck that i can take off road. i am still new to the rc hobby. i still have lots to learn.
the volcano will be the best of the 1/10's for offroad(bigger tires and such)
A 2 speed sounds cool, but generally a single speed geared well will work better for offroading.

More than a few tornado s30 owners have swapped out the 2speed trans for the single speed trans that comes in the shockwave. Especially if they are upgrading the motor to a larger one.

The caldera 3.0 is also worth considering. its a big bigger than the caldera.
nitrosportsandrunner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  #6
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multi gear transmisson?


Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

IMO, the volcano is to heavy for the 2peed trans to work.
With the added weight, and wider tires it will put more strain on the trans. And the 2speed trans is more prone to breakage than the single speed (naturally, more parts, more to go wrong)

If you want more power...or faster acceleration, then you can gear down the motor with a smaller pinion or larger spur.

Or, you can upgrade the motor to a larger one.
i agree that swapping the two speed is a waste of time. It's the reason I swapped a single speed into my Tornado when I fitted it with bigger tires. Actually the Tornado ran much better when I tightened the shifting clutch so it didn't shift. With the stock tires I would much rather run the Tornado as a single speed instead of a two speed. As far as it being too heavy though, the Nitro Caldera runs a two speed so I don't think the weight will be an issue.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 AM.