Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Gas spitting from glowplug/heatsink

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Gas spitting from glowplug/heatsink

Old 09-08-2012, 09:32 PM
DualityRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas spitting from glowplug/heatsink

EDIT: FIXED THE PROBLEM: Since my glowplug popped out I ordered two new ones, threw it in today and no gas leaking at all woo, but now I have another problem - Going to make another thread on it.

Hello all and welcome to my next problem, I have yet to even drive my nitro car around yet.

It seems when I start the car the glowplug becomes lose and starts spitting up gas from underneath it. Never seen this problem before, maybe I messed up the threading or something? (I have taken my glowplug in and out many times already.) My glowplug is in snug and secure so I'm not sure how it gets loose when I fire it up. Any ideas?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:07 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gas spitting from glowplug/heatsink

Did you make sure you put the washer back on when you replaced the glowplug?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 AM
DualityRC

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

Did you make sure you put the washer back on when you replaced the glowplug?
Yeah washer goes in everytime, I'm clueless how it still spits out gas?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM
JohnP2

ORIGINAL: DualityRC

Hello all and welcome to my next problem, I have yet to even drive my nitro car around yet.
If you get it driving within the first two weeks of owning it, you've done better than most folks. Took me a month before I could drive mine (of course I broke my con rod and could not find another one).

Regarding your problem:

1. Removing/inserting the glow plug is not going to hurt.
2. Are you 100% confident the glow-plug is coming "loose". In other words, you tighten it, and then after a short peiord of time it is loose?
3. Does the car start? i.e. When is the fuel coming out? When it is idling, or when you pull the cord to prime or start?
4. Have you checked the bolts on the cooling head? If you've taken it off, have you perhaps lost a shim?
5. If your not 100% confident it's from the glow plug hole, have you checked the tubing on the carberator? Have you ensured the HSN is not loose (it happened to me on my Losi).
6. Is it a new or used car?

If you have the ability to post a video of the problem, please do so....it will help us troubleshoot immensely.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM
DualityRC

ORIGINAL: JohnP2

ORIGINAL: DualityRC

If you get it driving within the first two weeks of owning it, you've done better than most folks. Took me a month before I could drive mine (of course I broke my con rod and could not find another one).

Regarding your problem:

1. Removing/inserting the glow plug is not going to hurt.
2. Are you 100% confident the glow-plug is coming "loose". In other words, you tighten it, and then after a short peiord of time it is loose?
3. Does the car start? i.e. When is the fuel coming out? When it is idling, or when you pull the cord to prime or start?
4. Have you checked the bolts on the cooling head? If you've taken it off, have you perhaps lost a shim?
5. If your not 100% confident it's from the glow plug hole, have you checked the tubing on the carberator? Have you ensured the HSN is not loose (it happened to me on my Losi).
6. Is it a new or used car?

If you have the ability to post a video of the problem, please do so....it will help us troubleshoot immensely.
1. I know that, but I'm saying from removing and putting back the glowplug perhaps I stripped the threading?
2. 100% confident, I screw it in tight, then I start the engine the glowplug becomes loose within 5 seconds.
3. Fuel starts spitting out right when the car is idling, driving it around with the glowplug loose seems to calm the spitting down a bit, but I just lost my glowplug washer today from it popping off during driving.
4. Haven't checked the bolts, but they seem secure. Haven't took the cylinder head off at all.
5. Tubing on the carb? Everything seems in place - my hole is around 1mm for the carb opening (although my car still revs high). HSN is intact and not loose one bit.
6. New car purchased from eBay.

Thanks - I will try to get a video soon, as soon as I get my new glowplugs coming in.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Dads like rc too

It's hard to imagine what the cause could be. Sounds like you've checked all possible causes. Your idea of bad threads can certainly be a possibility, but you'd think you might see some evidence of this on the glow plug threads as well. To try and eliminate this possibility you could alway order a new underhead. The last one I bought for one of my Hpi engines was only around $7, so it's worth a try.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 AM
RenegadeRC

re"> I have never heard of anything like this.  If you stripped the threads then the glow plug would not tighten up properly.  Also the engine would die the second it became loose and the engine loses compression.  So you probably wouldn't be able to drive the car around with it loose at all. 

I am not sure of your skill level and want to make sure  we are talking about the same thing so just to make sure everyone is on the same page.  The glow plug is the small piece no longer than a half an inch.  The starter is the cylinder shaped object that presses onto the glow plug in order to start the engine and is removed when the engine begins to run and before you drive it around.

So just so I understand exactly what you are doing.  
With the engine cold and the air cleaner on the carb you prime the engine by putting your finger over exhaust an pulling the pull starter several times.  
Then you place the starter on the glow plug pull the chord and start the engine.
After about 10 to 15 seconds of the engine running you remove the starter from the glow plug.  (engine continues to run)
Then you drive the car around and within 5 seconds the glow plug comes out and engine dies?

This will help me diagnose your problem if you would like you can go to our website www.rcrenegade.com and go to contact us and email me or give us a call here at the shop we are a redcat dealer and will be happy to help.

Sam