Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Earthquake 8E new combo

Old 09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
St33v3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Earthquake 8E new combo

After the new servo two days ago, I got my new combo today!

Turnigy 1900kv + Turnigy 160A ESC

It will be ran with two 3s 5000mAh in parallel for kids.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
St33v3

Default RE: Earthquake 8E new combo

I had to do some dremeling to fit the 3 ESC cables through the aluminium top plate.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so, im alittle confused.
You buy a bigger motor, and higher amp ESC...only to run 3s so it will be slower for the kids? Just seems a bit odd to me...lol.

Its a nice looking setup tho. You will have to run some 3s in series at some point and let us know how it does. Just make sure the punch control on the esc is turned up. Dont want the extra power blowing the diffs!

I figure you will still get 30mph...and really long runtimes if you run say, 3s 5000mah packs in parallel.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:44 AM
St33v3

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

so, im alittle confused.
You buy a bigger motor, and higher amp ESC...only to run 3s so it will be slower for the kids? Just seems a bit odd to me...lol.

Its a nice looking setup tho. You will have to run some 3s in series at some point and let us know how it does. Just make sure the punch control on the esc is turned up. Dont want the extra power blowing the diffs!

I figure you will still get 30mph...and really long runtimes if you run say, 3s 5000mah packs in parallel.
Motor is bigger but with less kv (1900 vs 2230 for the stock one) 21,090 rpm (11.1v x 1900) vs32,112 rpm (14.4v x 2230)... It is slower

Impossible to run 3s in series, I'm gonna burn the ESC (good for 3-5s).

I tried it yesterday with a 15t pinion.... Looks a little bit fast for 7yo kids. Will have to try with a 12t pinion.

And yeah runtime should be long! 10,000mah!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:11 AM
NewRageRC

One of these days I'm going to have to figure something out with my Backdraft. The motor I bought has a slightly larger diameter can and interferes with the drive shaft/spur gear carrier. I can't adjust it far enough to get a good mesh and I've been going through a pinion about once every other battery.

I bought the thing used with no ESC. I put a 150a Hobby King ESC on it and the original motor fried.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: St33v3

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

so, im alittle confused.

Motor is bigger but with less kv (1900 vs 2230 for the stock one) 21,090 rpm (11.1v x 1900) vs 32,112 rpm (14.4v x 2230)... It is slower

Impossible to run 3s in series, I'm gonna burn the ESC (good for 3-5s).

I tried it yesterday with a 15t pinion.... Looks a little bit fast for 7yo kids. Will have to try with a 12t pinion.

And yeah runtime should be long! 10,000mah!
I got that it was lower KV, but lower KV usually means more torque, and with higher voltage you can gear it higher and achive more speed.

But I didnt realize it was a 5s max ESC. I assumed 6s.

Keep an eye on temps when you gear down. it is possible to "under gear" a motor. I dont really think it will be an issue with that motor on 3s, but id still check the 1st time out to be sure.

your kids are lucky! you are building a drivable, 1/8 scale, 4wd truck with great runtimes for them. I wish my Dad had been into rc.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:27 PM
EvoLouShun

Nice setup Steve. Is it much slower than the stock setup? Iburnt my stock motor and replaced it with a tacon 1900kv http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m215-3674-1900kv-9t.html. Had to shave some of the metal off the motor mount and some at the front end by the steering (dont know the exact names of the parts) to make it fit. Its also running the backdraft spur and pinion gears which is probably how I burnt the stock motor out. With the new lower Kv motor, it's a tad slower, but the speed is much more manageable.

BTW - How do you like the XBE? I'd like to upgrade from my 8e. I was thinking of going the Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 route, or the XBE. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lou
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
St33v3

Speed is a little less than stock setup since it's a 3s LiPo combined with a lower kv motor. I'd say maybe 70% of stock speed.

The Rampage XB-E is really cool in a sand pit but never tried it on a track yet.