Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Vortes SS Engine Troubles

Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM
quickfishIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortes SS Engine Troubles

My son ran is his Vortex SS without the air cleaner installed for a few minutes before he realised it. When he installed the air cleaner he could not get it to start again.
When he brought it to me the next day to get it started for him it was extremely flooded. I put on a new air cleaner (original was fuel soaked) after draining the fuel and can get it started
but it will die out before it runs very long. Seems to floor very easily. Pull the glow plug to drain any excess fuel and restart. But even if I get running long enough to dirve it will only go a few dozen seconds and die.
Have reset the needles to factory but seems very difficult to regulate fuel. Probably only 10 or so tanks after break in. any thoughts?
Old 09-30-2012, 04:59 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vortes SS Engine Troubles

ORIGINAL: quickfishIII

My son ran is his Vortex SS without the air cleaner installed for a few minutes before he realised it. When he installed the air cleaner he could not get it to start again.
When he brought it to me the next day to get it started for him it was extremely flooded. I put on a new air cleaner (original was fuel soaked) after draining the fuel and can get it started
but it will die out before it runs very long. Seems to floor very easily. Pull the glow plug to drain any excess fuel and restart. But even if I get running long enough to dirve it will only go a few dozen seconds and die.
Have reset the needles to factory but seems very difficult to regulate fuel. Probably only 10 or so tanks after break in. any thoughts?
You said you reset the needles to factory but have you tuned it to run? Just because it ran great at however many turns it was set at doesn't mean it will not need to be adjusted. Temperature of the day has a lot to do with it, so does humidity. Sounds like its just running too rich. Have you tried leaning it? Adjust your HSN in 1 hr increments turning in. Keep some smoke, don't lean it too much.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM
quickfishIII

Thanks for the reply DAD.

yes I have been trying to re-tune. Seemed it was running way too rich so I kept leaning the HSN about an hour at time all the while having trouble keeping it running. Finally got
it to the point where it was not loading up with fuel and now when she dies out its like its too lean. Richen it up a 1hr turn a few times and its too rich. Was thinking I might have low compression
but have to wait for my new hex drivers to arrive because my old set spun in the head bolts so I can't pull the engine apart.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: quickfishIII

Thanks for the reply DAD.

yes I have been trying to re-tune. Seemed it was running way too rich so I kept leaning the HSN about an hour at time all the while having trouble keeping it running. Finally got
it to the point where it was not loading up with fuel and now when she dies out its like its too lean. Richen it up a 1hr turn a few times and its too rich. Was thinking I might have low compression
but have to wait for my new hex drivers to arrive because my old set spun in the head bolts so I can't pull the engine apart.
Make sure your LSN is right. One will effect the other. If your your LSN is to lean it will stall easily, if it's too rich it will sputter and load up until you get the rpm's up.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:00 PM
quickfishIII

Will give it another try tomorrow and let you know how it goes
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM
squirlyproductions

Just a thought.  Make sure you didn't bend the needles.  That is really important.  All it takes is a grain of sand.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

id be tempted to pull the carb, take it apart and clean it.

as said, a grain of sand in the wrong place will screw it all up.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:45 PM
quickfishIII

Thanks for the tips. Been tied up the last couple of days but will try all suggestions and post the results soon.