Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Why Banana Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Zlash03
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Banana Plugs?

This is something ive been thinking about for a little while. I recently bought a Lightning EPXDrift and it came standard with Banana plugs. But why? To me those plug types are the least used type in the R/Ccar world. Just about every ESCand battery ive seen on any other car has either Tamiya, Deans, or Traxxas plugs. So why did Redcat choose Banana instead? Does it allow more current to go through or something? Its just kind of bothersome because now every time I look for a new battery I have to find a $5-$10 adapter to go from Bananas to whatever I need. I know you can just cut the plugs on the ESCbut im not that good at electrical work on these cars as much as I am on model trains.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Why Banana Plugs?

ORIGINAL: Zlash03

This is something ive been thinking about for a little while. I recently bought a Lightning EPX Drift and it came standard with Banana plugs. But why? To me those plug types are the least used type in the R/C car world. Just about every ESC and battery ive seen on any other car has either Tamiya, Deans, or Traxxas plugs. So why did Redcat choose Banana instead? Does it allow more current to go through or something? Its just kind of bothersome because now every time I look for a new battery I have to find a $5-$10 adapter to go from Bananas to whatever I need. I know you can just cut the plugs on the ESC but im not that good at electrical work on these cars as much as I am on model trains.
pretty simple really, they needed a plug that would handle the current of brushless systems and lipo batteries but didnt cost a ton.

Enter the 4.0mm banana plug. It costs less to make than a traxxas style or deans type plug...but can handle as much voltage.

If you visit hobbypartz.com, you will see that nearly all of their lipo batteries and brushless systems come with the banana plug.

many of their brushless stuff had tamiya plugs. so the banana plugs are a HUGE upgrade. tamiya plugs can melt even with nimh batteries.

I have used all the major types of battery plugs. While the banana plug is not as common as the others, it works well and doesnt wear out quickly or get loose.