Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Monsoon XTR Conversion

Old 04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
jigawatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon XTR Conversion

I've seen these in a couple places now... can't tell if it is redcat product or not, or if it is something in development. Regardless, I want it!

One pic is a conversion kit, the other is the actual kit in RTR form. Simply put, I don't like nitro anymore... hate it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37257.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	1412402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51095.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	1412403  
Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM
iluvny081

Default RE: Monsoon XTR Conversion

where did you find this? I was thinking of gettin a monsoon, but the first thing I would do is make it brushless.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
jigawatt

I found pics, a little description, but absolutely no information on pricing and where to snag the kit. I want to convert mine sooo bad. I've been eying the Castle 1/8 setup and Tekin setup... dono if they'll fit.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Mickstix

Looks like the redcat 1/8 "buggy" chassis/brushless setup.. Here's a thread from "Andys60" who converted his Monsoon to brushless, using those very parts (motor mount, motor, esc, batteryand battery straps) from the Redcat buggy.. Brushless Monsoon
I've been thinkin about converting mine, but still not quite ready to give up on Nitro.. There just so loud they attract alot of attention and I have to bash out back on the golf course.. So it'd be alot easier to be inconspicuous, if it was electric.. But anyway, there are alot of conversion kits on the market that I think will work on the Monsoon.. From reading the Monsoon supportthread, and talking to a guy who had one, he said the Monsoon chassis is a carbon copy of the Kyosho ST-R, (Said the holes lined up for just about all the parts) so a converion kit for one of those should fit the Monsoon.. RC-Monster has a nice one for the Kyosho.. But really, I think most any of those motor mount kits could work with a little dremel work.. Plus you can get basic battery boxes to hold the lipo's.. Anyway, if ya decide to convert one, please take pix and post up your results!! Were always interested in Converted/Modded projects!! Good luck!!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
jigawatt

If I can get it to work, I'm hoppin up the hell outta it. I saw the factory has 7075 option parts... might have to find out how to snag those if and when I'm ready for them. I know redcat doesn't have the finest reputation... heck there are trolls everywhere... but these XTR's, when they have the right parts and setup... STOUT racers. I'm not saying they aren't great stock... just want to make that clear! But it's funny to damage the ego of someone who has a negative image towards redcat by beating them with one

If you can get the guy with the ST-R to post pics, would be nice! I'm a little cautious about throwin down dough on something that may or may not work. Right now I've got a power equipment shop to get off the ground. If interest in 1/5 scale engine work/upgrades raises (they are scarce here)... I might hop into that too.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Mickstix

I hear ya about the trolls! I think alot of it is actually just mis-information though.. They laid an egg with the ultralight series, and some think all their models must break just as easily.. But the XTR series is bad arse, no doubt!!! The guy who told me about the ST-R being the same, sold his Monsoon I think.. (Not sure if his was an XTR either?) But he's still on the forums, and will answer IM's if you have any questions.. His handle is:VNMSGT He told me the twomodelswerethe samebesides the front hubs, and that he's bolted all his ST-R parts to his Monsoon chassis before? But if ya IM him, he'll fill ya in! I'd be tempted to just use the stuff from the 8E series, but I dont think I want the motor in the front of the chassis, or dual batteries.. I like a more conventional setup with motor on the right rear, with battery on the left, and room for a dedicated brake servo on the front left, if needed.. I bet if you take your center diff off, and measure it up good, the guy "Mike" on RC-Monster could make a motor mount for ya. (or someone might be able to tell you if the redcat center diff mount is the same as another brand?)
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
jigawatt

He had the old model... I know which one he's talking about (assuming he's not the one who converted using 8E parts). That was back on the kingpin suspension vehicles redcat once had. I haven't talked to him in quite some time, I recognize the name for sure.

What sucks is that everyone keeps saying "just get the backdraft8e or earthquake 8e"... to be honest, I want nothing to do with that platform. There is no way those things will hang with other truggies and buggies on the tracks.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Mickstix

Yea, if ya wanted a buggy, I'd get a Hurricane XTR and convert it to brushless (if ya want electric) But about the old Monsoon and Kyosho ST-R.. The only thing that needs to "match up", is the center (rear) diff mount.. Next time I have mine apart, I'll draw up the center diff housing, and hopefully someone with an ST-R or ST-RR will do the same, and we'll be able to tell if they still match or not.. Seems like alot of 1/8 center diff mounts would have the same hole spacing and height?  The battery box  deminsions can be determined easily, and Im sure the servo mounts are all pretty generic as well.. The motor mount is the "tricky" piece..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 PM
jigawatt

Biggest setback right now is finding a way to convert it. Not quite sure which setup I'd go with, associated's bl system or Tekin... but I know where I wanna go with this. Try to keep it roar legal! There isn't much out there that is as far as 1/8 scale ELECTRIC motors goes.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Mickstix

If I convert mine, I'll be droppin in a MambaMonsterMax and Castle 1518 combo..  
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 PM
jigawatt

I might have found a source to get the kit... acquiring info on what sized motors it'll accept and hopefully getting a price. I might be reviving this thing after all.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Mickstix

Which kit ya lookin at??
Old 04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
jigawatt

The one from Riverhobby... so far I've got no luck. I see the product, but no one sells it. Figures They want to sell me the whole BUGGY vehicle instead.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Mickstix

What sort of a kit is it? Is it made to convert a Monsoon from nitro to electric, or is it for another model/brand? (Im just curious, I cant afford to convert mine at the moment anyway) Thanks!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:31 PM
jigawatt

Have a look:
http://www.riverhobby.com/en/productshow.asp?id=202
Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Mickstix

Oh, yea that VRX-1e looks just like a Monsoon, exept in electric! I just compared all the images to my Monsoon, and the only thing that looks differnt is the center diff is reversed, but I dont think that's any problem, other than where the spur lines up.. If they sell "parts" for the VRX-1e, all ya need is a motor mount.. You can cut the servo mount for the monsoon in half, and just use the steering one (and save the other half for the throttle servo, if ya ever want to convert back) You could also get their center diff  "top", if ya want, but a small piece of flat aluminum stock could be cut to make that platform for the electronics to sit.. And battery boxes & straps can be bought or made, out of any number of things.. Only real modding you'll have to do is drill new holes for the electric motor/mount.. The Nitro Monsoon chassisonly has 2 holes over there, for the fuel tank and it looks like you need at least 4 for the motor mount they show on the VRX-1e.. Not really a biggy though.. Just need to take your time and mark/drill it out! Good luck if ya locate what ya need!! Keep us posted and take lots of pix!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Mickstix

Ah, I didnt see the "converion kit" (I googled RiverHobby and found the page just before you posted the link) But that conversion kit looks sweet! Im now wondering if their motor mounts do only use 1 screw for the front and one for the back?? (Cause theres only 2 holes over there on the monsoon chassis, and I have a feeling the nitro VRX-1 is identical to the Monsoon, just another brand, like Himoto or Exceed, etc.. So why wont they sell ya the conversion kit? Out of stock, or ??
Old 04-16-2010, 04:43 PM
jigawatt

I don't think the dealer wants to order it. That sucks!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Mickstix

From the videos of Ali demoing the truggy (back in 09') I got the impression that "RiverHobby" was the retailer, dealer, andmanufacturer? (Similar to Redcat.com) ?? But I saw on the site where it said you could "pre order" the buggy, so it doesnt look like that even have the truggy available for sale yet? That site it hillarious tryin to read some of the press releases and directions. You can tell English isnt their 1st, 2nd, or probably even their 3rd language.. Let me know if ya ever do get one! I'd like to know how the conversion goes and what it costs!! Good luck!!

PS:Just a thought, but are ya sure they can understand that you want to purchase the conversion kit? Im not sure they can communicate fluently in english??Like I said, just a though..
Old 04-22-2010, 02:15 PM
jigawatt

I'm about to throw in the towel. Riverhobby won't sell it direct, and their retailers won't let me order one through them. Time to get rid of the truggy.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Mickstix

That's so strange? They have a page showing a product, but dont want to sell it? hehe.. I still think they just havent hit the market yet.. (Or better, they got ahead of themself with promoting stuff they didnt have available yet, and now that the economy has been in the crapper, they're not able to produce the stuff?) Wonder if Redcat has any interest in selling the "conversion" kit.. Im sure they all use the same Manufacturer (HSP)... Might be something to ask Darin or Redcat directly? Oh well, hope ya get it figured out or at least recoup some good money for your truggy, if you decide to sell!  

Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
jigawatt

I asked, haven't heard a word back from them at all. Hopefully there is a demand for electric 1/8's developing, or that they (redcat) pick up on the fact that 1/8 brushless is becoming more popular.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
vnmsgt

Here ya go guys. This link below seems to sell the Riverhobby stuff you want and has the brushless truggy your talking about. They may have the conversion or able to get it too.

http://www.shop.gotnitroonline.com/p...&categoryId=67

BTW yes I did bolt up 98% of all my Monsoon parts onto a Dragon Racing Kyosho ST-R Chassis. Only things that did not bolt right up are the chassis brace holes were slightly off and had to 1 or 2 holes of the radio box that did not line up and the I think one of the servos I had to swap around or something. Been along time since then so thats off the top of my head.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:55 PM
jigawatt

Yeah, those are the guys I've sent emails to about getting the conversion kit... nothin back from them about being willing to let me pre-order one. I know the XTR and OG monsoon's are different platforms, you had the OG right?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM
vnmsgt

Yep. I had the original one. If Himoto has a brushless truggy then you might find something there. The new Monsoon is just a Himoto RXT-1

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.