Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tornado EPX PRO 1/10 Buggy 8.4v NiMH Battery issue

Hello, I have a Tornado EPX PRO 1/10 Scale Brushless Buggy that I recently purchased new. I am able to run 7.2v batteries (NiMH) ranging from 2000mah to 5000mah all day long. I recently bought an 8.4v battery (PoweriZer 4200mah) but I am only able to use the car for no more than 40 seconds before the forward and reverse sieze to operate. Also, the steeringis still operable and the ESC begins to blinks at a constant rate (red color). Once I turn off the switch and then back on, it does the same thing. It only operates for approximately 40 seconds before the ESC begins blinking again. If I switch back to the 7.2v batteries, the car works just fine.

What can be the problem?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tornado EPX PRO 1/10 Buggy 8.4v NiMH Battery issue

Sounds like you got a bad pack. When they sit around to long they can go bad. Call the place you got if from and see what they can do.
    Urc Hobby Redcat Racing, HPI, Traxxas, XTM Racing, Venom, RC4WD, Integy, DDM Racing & PRP Dealer LI New York

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yeh, it sounds like the ESC is going into low voltage protection. In otherwords, it is detecting the battery at lower than 6v and cuts power as its time to charge the battery.

how long is the battery taking to charge, and does you charger show how many MAH its putting into it?

The battery could have 1 bad cell. Its been known to happen, getting a brand new battery that is defective.

If the buggy runs fine with your other batts, then its the battery thats to blame.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Funny, I left the battery intact overnight without chariging it and attempted to try one more time before I send in the battery. Apparently, it worked fine this morning. I noticed the car had a lot more power with a 8.4v battery than any 7.2v battery. I played around for half an hour before the car began dying off. I am thinking that this battery holds too much of a voltage and that is why the ESC shuts down. Or it did not charge correctly?Whatever the case might be, the car ran fine. Have you guys heard of overcharging a battery? I might need my voltmeter to see what is the final voltage once is fresh off the charger. I think is fair to say is not the battery but rather the car really technically does not support a 8.4v battery even though it states it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am using a different charger and charging at 560milliamps at 9volts would do the trick. I could have had a cell not fully charged.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad its working now
    for every volt, that motor turns about 3000rpms. So a battery with 1 more volt does equal a fair bit more power.

Id bet that either your battery didnt charge right before, or that the connector is poor. If the connectors were not good enough, then the power that could go threw them would be low and this would cause the ESC to go into low voltage mode.

The epx pro's will not over heat or shut down on a 8.4v nimh or 2s lipo battery. It takes more like 3s lipo (11.1v) before the electronics get hot enough for it to shut down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a tamiya connector on the 8.4v battery. Do you think it can't handle the increase demand of amperage? I honestly doubt that the battery is at fault since I was able to operate once the battery died a little. I am using a banana connector adapter. Shall I install banana connectors on the battery?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xCOMBATx

I have a tamiya connector on the 8.4v battery. Do you think it can't handle the increase demand of amperage? I honestly doubt that the battery is at fault since I was able to operate once the battery died a little. I am using a banana connector adapter. Shall I install banana connectors on the battery?
    Yes, either install a banana plug on the battery or swap both to deans or traxxas plugs. Tamiya plugs a HORRIBLE. Ive seen them melt together once when used on a caldera 10e. And that truck doesnt use any more amps then your buggy. And that was with a 7.2v nimh.

Even when tamiya plugs "feel" tight, they often have play and loose contact. Id bet thats why the ESC went into LVC mode.

Also, while adaptors are "easy" adding more connectors is restricting power flow. Keeping connectors simple and wiring short helps the power to flow more freely.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

FYI, for those of you who utilize the 8.4v NiMH battery make sure to turn off the Low-Voltage Protection setting which is programmed on the ESC. That has solved all my issues. That feature is only utilized for LiPO batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: xCOMBATx

FYI, for those of you who utilize the 8.4v NiMH battery make sure to turn off the Low-Voltage Protection setting which is programmed on the ESC. That has solved all my issues. That feature is only utilized for LiPO batteries.
    Its true you only need it for lipos, but it shouldnt cut your nimh runtime down by that much.