Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

play in rear wheels on volcano epx pro

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

play in rear wheels on volcano epx pro

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
NateDogg80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default play in rear wheels on volcano epx pro

All of the wheels on the truck have a little play in them which i assume is normal. but it seems i have a little more in the rear. Especially on one side, the wheel kinda of tilts in. Nothin seems to be be broken or bent. Could it be wheel bearings or drive cups or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: play in rear wheels on volcano epx pro

ORIGINAL: NateDogg80

All of the wheels on the truck have a little play in them which i assume is normal. but it seems i have a little more in the rear. Especially on one side, the wheel kinda of tilts in. Nothin seems to be be broken or bent. Could it be wheel bearings or drive cups or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
could indeed be the bearings.

could also be a spacing issue. the hole in the stub axle that the drive pin goes threw should be almost flush with the ball bearing on the outside of the wheel hub. But if its out a tad further, then you get some play. A washer or shim can take up the slop. Careful its not too thick, as that will make the wheel drag.

Sometimes the wheel hubs get a bit of slop in them, where the ball bearings press in. a bearing cant do its job if its not tight in the hub.

You will want to check over those things and replace if needed. Play can damage the dogbone.

If no one part seems to be in fault, then just run it as is. Alittle play wont break anything right away. But if you find a bad bearing, replace it ASAP.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
NateDogg80

THANKS AGAIN.

One other question.  I see they make different rated or size bearings for my volcano.  A 10*5*4 bearing and a 15*10*4 bearing.  Do you know what the difference is and which ones I need?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

THANKS AGAIN.

One other question. I see they make different rated or size bearings for my volcano. A 10*5*4 bearing and a 15*10*4 bearing. Do you know what the difference is and which ones I need?
that sir, is a trick question
the epx pro models have hubs which use 2 different bearings. Larger bearing on the inside, smaller on the outside.

so you need both 02138 and 02139 in order to replace the bearins in all 4 wheel hubs.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
NateDogg80

I'm confused.....  What do you mean by the inside AND outside?

I took off rear wheel hubs to replace with aluminum and only replaced one bearing per side because thats all I saw.  Did I miss something, or is the second set in another place? 

Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I'm confused..... What do you mean by the inside AND outside?

I took off rear wheel hubs to replace with aluminum and only replaced one bearing per side because thats all I saw. Did I miss something, or is the second set in another place?

If you pull the stub axle out of the wheel hub, you should see a larger bearing that was between the axle and hub. The smaller bearing sits on the outside of the hub, closest to the wheel.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
NateDogg80

Do''h!!!!!

That explains why i have so much slop in my rear wheels.

OK..... so how in the heck do you get the larger bearing out of the hub.  it looks darn near impossible.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Do''h!!!!!

That explains why i have so much slop in my rear wheels.

OK..... so how in the heck do you get the larger bearing out of the hub. it looks darn near impossible.
a small flat screw driver can do the job.

doesnt hurt to spray alittle WD40 1st. Dirt and such will make the bearing not want to come out.

you have to pry alittle here, then there to work it out evenly.

Once its out alittle, the screw driver can be used from the side the other bearing was in to push it out.

Not having that bearing in your new hubs will indeed make it wobbly!

Honestly, if you are installing new hubs I suggest putting in new bearings. Not doing so is like changing your car's oil but leaving in the old oil filter. Its gonna be better, but not the best.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
madweasel

If I may suggest..you might want switch out the plastic hubs and go to aluminum. They tend to break easy with a few good jumps lol