Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Problem with Tornado S30 Motor.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Tornado S30 Motor.

Ok so Ihave not been able to get my RC car running in a long time. Ihave noticed in some attempts to get it started gas coming out between the head and the bottom end of the motor.. Ipretty sure that means air is defentaly getting in there and no way it will start.. Question is if Ireplace that copper shim thing that is in there will it fix it?? Or should i replace the motor?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Problem with Tornado S30 Motor.

ORIGINAL: Torch39

Ok so I have not been able to get my RC car running in a long time. I have noticed in some attempts to get it started gas coming out between the head and the bottom end of the motor.. I pretty sure that means air is defentaly getting in there and no way it will start.. Question is if I replace that copper shim thing that is in there will it fix it?? Or should i replace the motor?
if the motor still has pinch (compresion) then its worth replacing a seal or a shim to see if that fixes the situation.
also, check the bolts holding the cooling head to the motor. they may have just come loose.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I know if it has compression? I ran a out 2 and half gallons of gas through the motor.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:52 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Torch39

How do I know if it has compression? I ran a out 2 and half gallons of gas through the motor.
2.5 gallons is a fair bit of runtime. but if its taken good care of it should still have life left.

compression is felt buy how hard it is to pull over the motor. when the piston hits top dead center it should snug against the wall of the cylinder. that feeling is called "pinch". on a fresh motor, the pinch can be strong enough that its hard to pull over the motor.

you can also get a feel for the pinch by pulling the glow plug out and turning the motor over by hand (via the flywheel) you should be able to feel the pistion "stick" slightly at the top. You should also be able to hear it suck air.

As well, you can pull off the cooling head and put a finger into the cylinder. at the top, you should feel a slight ridge. if you dont...if the top of the inside feels very smooth then the pinch may be gone and it wont run well (if at all)

but since you have fuel being sucked into the motor, its more likely you have an air leak, then a junk motor.