Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Caldera: Cheap/Alternate BS903-019 Driveshaft?

Hi all,

I have a 1/10th Caldera and think it's a good value, and most of the weak points are easy to address (new servo, metal front hubs, keep a spare diff on the shelf)... but I'm constantly bending front dogbones (BS903-019). Moderate front wheel impacts that my other RCs brush off commonly bend one... and as soon as that happens the steering radius gets much worse since the front hub can't turn as far with a bent shaft spinning inside it.

During the summer, careful outdoor driving definately helps when I'm bashing in the local parks... but in the winter I've been taking it to an indoor offroad carpet track: and there any mistake means you usually hit something made of concrete. I can't afford bending 2-3 dogbones in a day when a pair costs $9-$11.

Does anyone know of an alternate hardened part number? Or something that works from another kit? Or an online store that may sell me 5 pairs at a discount?

I bend them back as best as I can, and put the best ones into the rear... but that only let me steal 2 straight driveshafts from the back: I still have about 4 more semi-bent ones on the shelf

Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Caldera: Cheap/Alternate BS903-019 Driveshaft?

I dont know of any dogbones from other models that would work in the caldera....
    I can sell you a bunch for a lower price....
    And I know it helps to use bits of fuel tubing in the drive cups (especially the diff output cup) to help center the dogbone.
    Sometimes the reason they bend is cause the move to far into one cup or the other...which makes the other end bind up and twist the dogbone.
    You want the dogbone to have enough play to move as the suspension does. But that only means 1/8 inch of play.
    On my EPX Pro models I find the fuel tubing trick makes the dogbones far less likely to bend or break.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks! PM coming your way...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Could you please share how you did this? Got any pics to show details?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: drbogger

ill try and make some pics to upload later. Its fairly simple tho.
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

that would be great! cant wait for the pics!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just get some hpi dogbones. take one with you and size it up. if its a little big bring out the ball joints a few mm, if its too small, bring them in/fuel tubing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What do you mean "Bring out the ball joints"?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh i'm sorry i htought that it had the same setup as the vortex/tornado, but it's setup like the shockwave, so it's not adjustable.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ill try and make some pics to upload later. Its fairly simple tho.
    Any plans on the pictures yet? I already have a bent dogbone on one of my front wheels from a crash. Would like to do this mod when i replace it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi drbogger,

Any plans on the pictures yet? I already have a bent dogbone on one of my front wheels from a crash. Would like to do this mod when i replace it.
    Do you have a Caldera or EPXmodel? Nitrosportsandrunner was talking about the tubing trick for the EPXline since they have dogbones: it won't work with Caldera's since they have a universal joint connecting the driveshafts to the wheel axles.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: PetRock

Hi drbogger,

Do you have a Caldera or EPXmodel? Nitrosportsandrunner was talking about the tubing trick for the EPXline since they have dogbones: it won't work with Caldera's since they have a universal joint connecting the driveshafts to the wheel axles.
    I have the Caldera 3.0 (Nitro) and the dogbones looks just like in the picture u posted above.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Why wouldn't it work? Pull the pin out, put the piece of fuel tubing in and put it back together..? There is still some play at that end because of the slotted hole for the pin.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC
    Why wouldn't it work? Pull the pin out, put the piece of fuel tubing in and put it back together..? There is still some play at that end because of the slotted hole for the pin.
    There's maybe a fraction of a mm of play at most: the pin doesn't have much space around it. The slot may look wide near the outside of the ball... but it's pinched in at the center. Also, the tubing trick is most often used to keep the dogbones centered so they don't slide too far into either cup and pop out easily: the Caldera driveshafts never pop out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NewRageRC
    There's maybe a fraction of a mm of play at most: the pin doesn't have much space around it. The slot may look wide near the outside of the ball... but it's pinched in at the center. Also, the tubing trick is most often used to keep the dogbones centered so they don't slide too far into either cup and pop out easily: the Caldera driveshafts never pop out.
    Well the dogbones on my Caldera for the rear center driveshaft has alot of play. if i slide it into the transmission cup, it comes very close to the end of the other cup.
    So I did do the fuel tubing trick to that axel. The rest of them look fine though.