Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 3.0 - Better Clutch Shoes

Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM
drbogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 3.0 - Better Clutch Shoes

I have a Caldera 3.0 I just bought brand new.
On Break-in (Tank 1 - Idle), the spring on the clutch shoes broke. Purchased replacment shoes/spring. Tank # 6, springs broke again.

Does anyone know of a Better Clutch Setup? I'm thinking about a 3 or 4 shoe setup.
Can anyone point me to one that is compatable?
Old 12-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Caldera 3.0 - Better Clutch Shoes

Something is wrong with the spring you bought or you accidentally damaged it while installing it. Those clutch springs usually don't just break. They either get weakened from being overheated or damaged from hard hits.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM
drbogger

Yeah but I still just want to upgrade to a 3 or 4 shoe clutch.
Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: drbogger

Yeah but I still just want to upgrade to a 3 or 4 shoe clutch.
Any suggestions?
Sorry, must have missed that part of the question. Really I haven't had to upgrade the cluch with a stock motor. My SH .18 and HPI .18 both ran fine with the plastic shoes.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:33 PM
drbogger

Then why would the stock spring break when just idling on the 1st tank (break-in)?
Plus this seems to be a common issue, as i've seen alot of people with the same issue.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: drbogger

Then why would the stock spring break when just idling on the 1st tank (break-in)?
Plus this seems to be a common issue, as i've seen alot of people with the same issue.
I think the first one was probably bad and you might have damaged the replacement one by accident. I've run the Redcat clutch and spring in other engines and it's held up as good as any other. You could have just received a bad replacement spring, it happens sometimes.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

you can upgrade the flywheel to a 3 prong and use the 3 setup. I use ofna flywheels off the force engines on the .21 sh i am pretty sure they will work on the .18 as well but if you do some measuring and go to ofna website and ask they will tell you the measurements of theirs. i have only had 3 repairs involving the clutch spring in the past year with dozens of redcat nitros sold in that year. from what I can tell heat is the enemy of these with the aluminum clutch shoes. we have also swapped out to poly shoes which imo do not produce as much heat.