Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

EPX Slow on charged battery

Question for everyone..I bought my son an EPX and a couple extra batteries..I charged all of the batteries and have checked the voltage on all of them. When we put the batteries in the EPX the vehcle runs like the batteries are drained..its slow forward and and reverse and will only turn the wheels when the forward and/or reverse are not engaged..Is it the ESC? seems like a strange problem considering it happens on multiple batteries.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: EPX Slow on charged battery

so, does the model want to back up without you giving any throttle input?

If thats the case, try adjusting the throttle trim on the radio until the model no longer moves (with the throttle trigger at nuetral)

Im wondering if your throttle trim has the ESC thinking that nuetral is like 10-20% reverse. In that case, when you pull full throttle the ESC only would see 30-50% throttle.

When you apply throttle, how much do you have to give before the wheels start to move forward?
    SC10rs, 1/6 hummer crawler, Kyosho Twin Force, Lunchbox project, Techone P51,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I adjusted the throttle trim and no affect on the speed. Even with throttle tim all the way up which should have the car going forward it was at a snails pace and giving it throttle had no affect either..Its strange, have two other electric redcats which are fine. When I turn it on the ESC goes through the paces beeps at me when its ready and all seems to be working fine escept forward or reverse there is no speed.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RaveCrusader

I adjusted the throttle trim and no affect on the speed. Even with throttle tim all the way up which should have the car going forward it was at a snails pace and giving it throttle had no affect either..Its strange, have two other electric redcats which are fine. When I turn it on the ESC goes through the paces beeps at me when its ready and all seems to be working fine escept forward or reverse there is no speed.
    Ok,
    does the manual explain how to calibrate the ESC to the radio?

you could test the motor itself by plugging the motor's ends into the battery plug. Youd have to have the truck's wheels off the ground. I havent heard of a motor being bad, but its best to rule out what you can before contacting Redcat about a warrenty issue. If we can rule out everything but the ESC, then it will be easy to get redcat to ship you a replacement.
    You have already ruled out the battery as you used others ones you have.
    Just for fun, try plugging the ESC's plug into the servo's port on the reciever. Then turn it on and see if the steering wheel controls the speed and if the speed is any higher.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I am now guessing it was the ESC..after messing with it and using various batteries I got it going at what I thought was a decent speed..then after about 30 seconds the ESC starting smoking and the entire base melted...yay...maybe I should have bought the EPX Pro..becuase I think I should just upgrade it for my son to a brushelss lipo setup...do you think I should go through Redcat for a replacement or upgrade? I am not real upset it went south except I did not get to enjoy baching with my son..upgrade or replacement parts?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RaveCrusader

Well I am now guessing it was the ESC..after messing with it and using various batteries I got it going at what I thought was a decent speed..then after about 30 seconds the ESC starting smoking and the entire base melted...yay...maybe I should have bought the EPX Pro..becuase I think I should just upgrade it for my son to a brushelss lipo setup...do you think I should go through Redcat for a replacement or upgrade? I am not real upset it went south except I did not get to enjoy baching with my son..upgrade or replacement parts?
    Id get the replacement from redcat. They are good about warrenty parts, and if you tell them the ESC smoked they will ship you a new one. Might wanna look for a used traxxas XL-5 or simillar low priced esc. Ive gotten a losi 12t and a xl-5 for aroudn $25 shipped.

The epx pro has a couple of upgrades to help it cope with the extra power. At the least, I know it has a steel spur gear and full ball bearings. Im not certain if the epx has steel diff gears of if they are plastic. If they are plastic, they will need to be upgraded for sure.
    So, to do it right you will need more than just a brushless system. Thats why I think getting a better, used ESC is a good way to go.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I contacted Redcat and they are sending me a new ESC free of charge and it shipped out today. The more I deal with Redcat (I have 5 in the family) the more I love them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I can agree, we have several now and they were really good about correcting bad parts, especially right out of the box. I am currently hunting down the best upgrades possible. I have been building a few of my own also due to inability to get full aluminum chassis. I am posting a few photos in case I decide to start building to sell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70936.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	1834433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bv60393.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	1834434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xz52963.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1834435  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Johnathond22

*I can agree, we have several now and they were really good about correcting bad parts, especially right out of the box. I am currently hunting down the best upgrades possible. I have been building a few of my own also due to inability to get full aluminum chassis. I am posting a few photos in case I decide to start building to sell.*
    is that an axial or emaxx bumper you added to the back of your chassis?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I made that too. Everything you see is handmade. I'm building a few more items right now becuse the weather is too bad to run my truck so I am modding. Do you have an EPX pro also?