Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Caldera 3.0 - Flywheel Loose - Recurring Problem

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 3.0 - Flywheel Loose - Recurring Problem

Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 AM
drbogger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 3.0 - Flywheel Loose - Recurring Problem

Hi Everyone!

I have a Caldera 3.0 that is pretty much brand new, only been through 10 tanks of fuel (Including break-in), and the other day it started loosing power, and was making a weird metal on metal clunking / grinding sound. So i shut down the engine to inspect the problem. I quickly found that the flywheel is loose / slipping.

I tightened up the flywheel bolt, and worked fine for 3 minutes, then it came loose again!
So i removed the bolt, put blue locktite on it, and tightened it even tighter this time.
This time it didnt even last 30 seconds, and the flywheel is loose again.

I noticed that the flywheel is only moved by the teethed / grooved surface on the mini-flywheel (Also known as "flywheel spacer")
Now, the back of the flywheel is really scratched up by this mini-flywheel spinning on it, grinding it down with it's teethed surface.

I just can't seem to get it tight enough to last more than a few minutes.

Any ideas as to what I can do to fix this issue?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Caldera 3.0 - Flywheel Loose - Recurring Problem

The flywheel should slide onto a brass collet or bushing. This collet is slid onto the crankshaft sticking out of the engine. Maybe the original problem of the flywheel somehow getting loose wore the brass collet to where the flywheel won't tighten properly. I'd inspect that carefully and replace it if possible. Even the inside of the flywheel may have worn from running loose. You might just replace both parts and see if that solves your problem.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
drbogger

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

The flywheel should slide onto a brass collet or bushing. This collet is slid onto the crankshaft sticking out of the engine. Maybe the original problem of the flywheel somehow getting loose wore the brass collet to where the flywheel won't tighten properly. I'd inspect that carefully and replace it if possible. Even the inside of the flywheel may have worn from running loose. You might just replace both parts and see if that solves your problem.
Thatts the wrong type of flywheel setup. the way mine works is it has a mini-flywheel that has a knarled surface that the flywheel sits on top of. that knarled surface is what drives the flywheel.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM
ThePenguins

I think you guys are talking about two differenct parts, the spur gear and the clutch bell respectively.

You will probably want to buy parts package BS903-100 from Redcat and replace the spur gear and slipper clutch. Here is a video from Ali showing you what it is and how to adjust it.

www.youtube.com/watch

Old 12-31-2012, 04:35 PM
drbogger

ORIGINAL: ThePenguins

I think you guys are talking about two differenct parts, the spur gear and the clutch bell respectively.

You will probably want to buy parts package BS903-100 from Redcat and replace the spur gear and slipper clutch. Here is a video from Ali showing you what it is and how to adjust it.

www.youtube.com/watch
No, my spur gear is fine.

What I'm talking about is the peice behind the flywheel that is knurled metal spacer that goes behind the flywheel that grips onto the flywheel.

Heres a pic of what im talking about:
http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net...es/te15-19.jpg

That peice pushes up against the flywheel, but when the flywheel got loose, that peice was on the crank shaft fine, it was the flywheel that got loose, and i cant get it to grip onto that peice properly.