Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Volcano S30 radio bind help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Jswingle13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volcano S30 radio bind help

Got my new Volcano and followed all the directions. My radio seemed to bind properly but won't control the vehicle. I called redcat and didn't get much help. Had to fill out a warranty claim and have to wait to hear back. I'm pretty disappointed as I looked forward to getting it. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:29 PM
jroptop

Default RE: Volcano S30 radio bind help

did you set your ESC to the radio? Ex...neutral position,full throttle for forward,and reverse?Also check your throttle trim on the radio
ORIGINAL: Jswingle13

Got my new Volcano and followed all the directions. My radio seemed to bind properly but won't control the vehicle. I called redcat and didn't get much help. Had to fill out a warranty claim and have to wait to hear back. I'm pretty disappointed as I looked forward to getting it. Is there something simple I'm missing?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Jswingle13

[quote]ORIGINAL: jroptop

did you set your ESC to the radio? Ex...neutral position,full throttle for forward,and reverse?Also check your throttle trim on the radio

I'm not sure......I inserted the binding cable and turned on the reciever. Then holding the bind button turned on the radio. Red light went solid on the receiver and the green light started flashing on the radio. I turned off the radio then the reciever. Then I turned on the radio then the reciever, the fuel servo kept making a ticking sound but no response from the radio. I checked all switches and trims. Shut the reciever off then the radio and set out to find if I'm doing something wrong or if I have faulty equipment. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Im not sure if it will make a difference, but when binding I always turn off power to the reciever before the radio (after the reciever's light goes solid red)
and when before you turn anything back on you remove the bind cable from the reciever.

Also, try checking functions with 1 servo disconnected from the reciever....then try the other. It can happen sometimes that a fualty servo will cause the reciever not to work right. Just wanna rule that out before you get a replacement radio/rx
Old 01-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Jswingle13

Thanks..... I'll try that. I forgot to add that I did remove the bind cable before turning them back on.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jswingle13

Thanks..... I'll try that. I forgot to add that I did remove the bind cable before turning them back on.
OK, good. I mentioned it cause I have forgotten to do so...LOL. Turn the thing on and Im like "why is the LED blinking again?" Duh, forgot to remove the bind plug!

As with any RC parts that are mass produced at low cost, there will be bad ones. Ive had redcat radios that lasted forever...and Ive had one be dead right out of the box. Redcat replaced it naturally.
The redcat radio is the same as the flysky. And hobbyking sells it under the turnigy name....and exceed has another name for it as well. So a crap load of these are made and sold. The upside is that they are cheap. I mean, there are still AM radios out there that cost twice what a flysky radio costs!. Downside is sometimies they dont last long.

But its the same with lipo packs. I know some people who will only buy name brand, $80-$100+ lipo packs. I can buy 4 skylipo brand packs for the cost of 1 brand name. So if 1 out of the 4 dies after only a few months...but the other 3 last a year or more...Im fine with that. And thats exactly what I find happens. I have owned probly 10 skylipo packs. 3 died after a couple of months (a short or break inside the pack so that both cells were no longer connected to the output) and the others are still going strong. And more than a few times I have run them below 2.9v and brought them back to life.

I remember when I paid $50 for a "decent" nimh battery. Not race quality, but better than most. Now I pay less than $30 for a 2s 5000mah lipo that lasts much longer and puts out way more power. Stuff has come a long way in just a few years.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Jswingle13

I'm sure they'll take care of it..... I'm just disappointed, I did a lot of research and couldn't find any bad reviews and have heard they are a good company. I realize that things can be faulty and I will just deal with it...... Just sucks I have to wait and I hope I don't have to pay any shipping for any of this warranty stuff.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Jswingle13

Redcat contacted me today and are sending me a new reciever and throttle servo. Can't wait to get it going..... They handled it well in a timely manner. Got the parts pulled and ready to replace..... It made it much easier to lock tight the grub screws and adjust the motor with it apart. Thanks to all who tryed to help!