Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldrea 10E steering servo

Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM
jroptop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldrea 10E steering servo

Quick question tothe Caldera 10E owners,Is it normal for the steering servo not returning to full dead center after turning left or right with the radio?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Caldrea 10E steering servo

ORIGINAL: jroptop
Quick question tothe Caldera 10E owners,Is it normal for the steering servo not returning to full dead center after turning left or right with the radio?
Should it happen? No. Is it common? Unfortunately yes.

All the steering pivots are tight out-of-the-box, something Jang mentioned in his review. The steering servo has been a bit dodgy for some people too: even after Imade sure my pivots were OK I still couldn't get it to center properly either - Redcat support was very helpful and sent me a new stronger servo that was much better.

The tight pivots will sort themselves out without all the fiddling you saw in the URC review: I just worked a light coating of oil into mine and they fairly quickly loosened up just driving around. But if the servo is weak you may need to get it replaced/upgraded, or just spend $20-$40 for a new metal-gear model yourself.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

tight ball ends do happen, and if you watch URC's review youll see how he dealt with it.

I have installed MG996R servos in most of my redcat models....tho I still have the stock servo in my tornado exp pro and its lasted a very long time.

The MG996r is metal geared and has mroe torque. I use it in nearly all brand rcs I have. I buy it from hobbypartz when they have them in stock. Other times Ill buy 3-4 at a time off ebay...where they ship from hong kong. But at less than $10 per servo its a sweet deal even tho you have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to arrive.

So consider upgrading the servo...but look for any points in the steering system that may not turn freely. This is best done by disconnecting the steering servo arm and then moving the wheels side to side. If it doesnt move completly free, then made adjustments to the rod ends with a body hold reamer or simillar tool until they do.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
jroptop

I did purchase a hexfly 15kg metal gear servo after having issues with finding a steering horn that worked with it,and I didnt notice much difference,are the MG996R any better?Thanks for the response once again!
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

tight ball ends do happen, and if you watch URC's review youll see how he dealt with it.

I have installed MG996R servos in most of my redcat models....tho I still have the stock servo in my tornado exp pro and its lasted a very long time.

The MG996r is metal geared and has mroe torque. I use it in nearly all brand rcs I have. I buy it from hobbypartz when they have them in stock. Other times Ill buy 3-4 at a time off ebay...where they ship from hong kong. But at less than $10 per servo its a sweet deal even tho you have to wait 2-3 weeks for them to arrive.

So consider upgrading the servo...but look for any points in the steering system that may not turn freely. This is best done by disconnecting the steering servo arm and then moving the wheels side to side. If it doesnt move completly free, then made adjustments to the rod ends with a body hold reamer or simillar tool until they do.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:58 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I did purchase a hexfly 15kg metal gear servo after having issues with finding a steering horn that worked with it,and I didnt notice much difference,are the MG996R any better?Thanks for the response once again!

I dont know as if I have had the metal geared hexfly servo....but id bet the MG996r has more torque.

I had to use the servo arm that came with the MG servo. This did reqire enlaging the hole in the arm to accept the ball/screw that was in the stock arm.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
jroptop

I will go ahead and order a MG996R and give it a try,cant hurt to have a few spare servos!

I dont know as if I have had the metal geared hexfly servo....but id bet the MG996r has more torque.

I had to use the servo arm that came with the MG servo. This did reqire enlaging the hole in the arm to accept the ball/screw that was in the stock arm.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 PM
jroptop

If anyone is interested,Ebay US seller is selling them for $7.99 free shipping,heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG996R-Torqu...item416ac02901
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

If anyone is interested,Ebay US seller is selling them for $7.99 free shipping,heres the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MG996R-Torqu...item416ac02901
yep, thats how I buy them when Hobbypartz.com is out of stock. They are more on hobbypartz, but youll get them in less than a week.
Tho, the last time I bought 4 off ebay, I had them in about 2 weeks. Not bad from HK.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Jack L

Hi, new to modern RC so sorry for noob questions.
the servos in my caldera 1)E short cource truck keep breaking.
the stock one that came with it which was BS7014 broke, the replacment i got hx-3cp broke.
i took them apart, on the BS7014 had some missing teeth
the hx-3cp servo worked fine for a while, now it clicks away when turned, the gears look fine, no missing teeth.

the servo mentioned above..MG996R..the size of that looks bigger than the ones that came with the caldera, how do you fit them in the car body?
thanks
Old 09-26-2013, 06:51 PM
Jack L

wrong thread