Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Question about Earthquake 8e

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Ricks426

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Earthquake 8e

Im new to RC, just ordered and earhtquake 8E after much investigating and researching. I would like to know what is the biggest type of batteries i can get for the earthquake? Ones that give me the longest run time. And what is the best charger to get for lipos. Do I have to stick with the 2s batteries only, or can I go bigger?

thanks

Old 01-07-2013, 04:11 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Question about Earthquake 8e

you cant use lipos of higher voltage (ie, 3s)
but you can use 2s lipo packs with more MAH...which equals runtime.
A pair of 2s 5000mah lipos with at least 30c will work good.
I use a thunder AC6 charger. charges most types of batts and can charge my lipos in 1 hour.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Ricks426

That looks like a well rounded charger and great price.  Would these work for the earthquake?  

Redcat 5800 LIPO Battery - 7.4V 2S 30C Hard Case Banana 4.0 Connector  

and if I went with 3S  11.1 lipo, it wouldn't damage anything?  Would that charger (thunder ac6) have enough power to charge these batteries?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Ricks426

if I have to shim the diffs when i get this thing,  where do i find these shims?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Ricks426

if I have to shim the diffs when i get this thing, where do i find these shims?
easiest way is to buy the shim kit # 81069
Its not specific to the 8e, but has all the shims you will need in the kit to properly set up your diffs.

You can either open up your diffs now and see how tight they are and add shims IF needed...
Or drive the truck and found if if they are shimmed well. My diffs lasted 10 packs before I had an issue. Others have had a diff fail in just a few packs.

Also, if you buy the ezrun program card (ebay) this helps ALOT. The stock punch control and brake force settings are too high IMO. A softer punch setting and brake setting will save the driveline alot of stress...and actually help make the drive easier to drive as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:28 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like a well rounded charger and great price. Would these work for the earthquake?

Redcat 5800 LIPO Battery - 7.4V 2S 30C Hard Case Banana 4.0 Connector

and if I went with 3S 11.1 lipo, it wouldn't damage anything? Would that charger (thunder ac6) have enough power to charge these batteries?
Idon't think any of the Redcat branded lipos are a good value. Buy
two of these or two of these and be happy. Gens Ace and Turnigy nano-tech are almost identical in pricing and performance: shipping prices may make the decision for you.

The
AC6 will easily charge any lipos you buy for your Earthquake.

The ESCthat comes with the Earthquake isn't designed to run with two 3s lipos (6s total) - you could run it with one, but it would be slower. You could Ebay the ESC it comes with for some cash, then a 150a that works with 6s is about $100. But Ithink it's plenty fast on 4s: 6s may be unusable.

Good luck!

Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

my honest opinion is that running the 8e on 6s is just going to mean lots of broken parts.
Sure, it will be able to hit 65MPH, but soo much of that power will be unusable.
If you want a speed demon, get a 1/10 2wd or a 4wd onroad car. stuff that can still be drivable at over 50mph. The earthquake...tho lighter than many 1/8 scale models is still hefty and will tumble hard if you get it upto 65mph and make a mistake.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Ricks426

is there a lipo charger that can ballance charge 2 batteries at once that is ac and dc?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:30 AM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is there a lipo charger that can ballance charge 2 batteries at once that is ac and dc?
Those are rare: there is the Duratrax Onyx 245 but it has low charge rates and is limited to 3s. If you buy a seperate power supply then there are way more options: many DC chargers have dual (or quad) ports now.

Another way to go would be to buy a balance tap splitter and charging harnass: it can make 2 2s lipos appear as one 4s lipo to your charger - that should work perfectly charging 2 of the same battery for your Earthquake as both packs should always be at a very similar level of charge. A few places sell them off-the-shelf, and you can always make one yourself (but most people just use dual-output DC chargers now).

Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 AM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Hi Tec X4. It comes with it's own AC power supply built in but you can still run it of DC if you ever take it to the field. It will charge up to 4 batteries at once independently, they can be different voltage or type makes no difference. It also comes with two Lipo balance boards to get you started.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

The thunder T6 charger can do 4 lipos at once.
runs on DC, can run on AC if you buy a seperate converter.
Under $100
http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t6-multi-charger.html
Old 01-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Ricks426

after hours of searching on the net found the ac680 thunder charger, thought it would be the best  for me.  Also picked up Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah lipos.  picked up everything for $100 shipped. cant wait to fire this up.  My next project is to water proof somewhat since we now finally have snow here.  Has anyone done this to their red cat successfully?  or am I just asking for alot of trouble?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Ricks426

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM
JZimpson

If you change the VOLTAGE you will cook the ESC, motor or both. You can go up in power with 5000mAh lipo's for 30 minute run times at full tilt speed. Higher mAh equals longer, stronger run times. Higher voltage is a no, no!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: JZimpson

If you change the VOLTAGE you will cook the ESC, motor or both. You can go up in power with 5000mAh lipo's for 30 minute run times at full tilt speed. Higher mAh equals longer, stronger run times. Higher voltage is a no, no!
he said he got 6000mah lipos, He didnt say the voltage. I assume he got 2s lipo packs. I dont think he could get a charger and a pair of 3s lipos for $100.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Ricks426

yes...your correct, i got 6000mah 2s lipos just for the extended run time. when i asked about the voltage change, i had no idea what all the numbers meant on the batteries then. i have been doing alot of reading on all the lipo stuff. I can't believe how much you have to learn getting in this hobby. But it keeps me interested. my lipos are charged, what should i do to this earthquake before i fire it up. I noticed that the center gear in the middle of the truck seems like there is lots of gear slop.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:25 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

is the slop side to side....or front to back?
front to back you dont have to worry about that much. side to side is bad because it will make your pinion/spur gear mesh off and likely strip one of them.
Excessive play is most likely bad bearings. (assuming the spur gear plates are not loose. check screws under the chassis and on the upper chassis plate)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Ricks426

not front to back, just the gear mesh side to side. It is probably fine, just don't want to learn the hard way. and i will check all the screws thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Ricks426

Got the stock batteries charged up today, and got to try this earthquake out....all i have to say is WOW,  what a machine.  Brings the kid out of you, only it's much faster than what i had growing up  for about $400 dollars for everything is a steal.  I would recomend RedCat to anyone.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Ricks426

I was reading the EZrun esc manual and it says "rock crawler mode"  can i set my earthquake to crawler mode?  If so how.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:50 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I was reading the EZrun esc manual and it says ''rock crawler mode'' can i set my earthquake to crawler mode? If so how.
I didnt think the 80amp version had a crawler mode...
but the crawler mode would differ in that it will have strong drag brake, and no delay between forward in reverse. If you try to drive the truck with that setup.....I see broken driveline parts in your future[&o]
Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Ricks426

Does the motor fan run all the time or does it kick on after it starts to heat up?
Old 01-25-2013, 02:14 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Does the motor fan run all the time or does it kick on after it starts to heat up?
I dont recal. I thought it should run all the time tho.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Ricks426

I had thought it would also, I just finished waterproofing the electronics, hope I didn't screw it up.  Haven't really played around with it yet, hope I can look at it tonight

Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
lifeismuddy
My Feedback: (17)

Motor fan runs all the time, check your voltage at the fan the connection into the fan isnt all that great and you may just have a loose wire. We have an adapter to run 1 5s in these and wow what a difference that 3.7 extra volts makes!!! I dont recommend extensive runtimes as the motor boils but boy is it fun to see the difference.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.