Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 10E servo saver unit

Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
jroptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Caldera 10E servo saver unit

Hello everyone,I posted another thread about the steering not returning to dead center when turning left or right,and after putting in a metal gear servo,Im still experiencing the same issue.So Itook apart the entire steering along with the steering servo saver kit and realized that the steering saver unit plastic sleeve is split,is this the way it is supposed to be,or should it be one solid sleeve?I ask because as Iput tension on the servo and turn the wheel side to side,I noticed alot of play in the steering saver kit and realized it is cracked.I looked up the part but cant tell if its one piece sleeve or 2,Any help is much appreciated by those who own a Caldera or those who sell them with backround knowledge,thanks in advance!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Caldera 10E servo saver unit

the main part of the saver unit is 2 parts.
These 2 parts lock into eachother normally. Only when enough stress is applied do they seperate, due to the spring above them.

In the exploded view you can see the 2 main parts and how they interlock. If you are seeing a seperation other than whats shown below then you may have a break.

Also, there is either a "toothed" ring above the saver, or its the nut above the upper chassis plate which applies pressure to the spring. If the pressure is not enough, this will cause slop as the saver is opening with less resisistance than it should.

When I 1st had my 8e, the steering was horrid. I swapped out the servo figuring that was it, but it still didnt want to center. It turned out to be the servo saver adjustment was too loose. The servo would center, but the saver would give and the wheels would not fully center.

hopefully the exploded view will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61447.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1838142  
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
jroptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks again Nitro,thats EXACTLY what it was!I appreciate your knowledge and expertise!!!!
Quote:
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

These 2 parts lock into eachother normally. Only when enough stress is applied do they seperate, due to the spring above them.

In the exploded view you can see the 2 main parts and how they interlock. If you are seeing a seperation other than whats shown below then you may have a break.

Also, there is either a "toothed" ring above the saver, or its the nut above the upper chassis plate which applies pressure to the spring. If the pressure is not enough, this will cause slop as the saver is opening with less resisistance than it should.

When I 1st had my 8e, the steering was horrid. I swapped out the servo figuring that was it, but it still didnt want to center. It turned out to be the servo saver adjustment was too loose. The servo would center, but the saver would give and the wheels would not fully center.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jroptop

Thanks again Nitro,thats EXACTLY what it was!I appreciate your knowledge and expertise!!!!
Quote:

Also, there is either a ''toothed'' ring above the saver, or its the nut above the upper chassis plate which applies pressure to the spring. If the pressure is not enough, this will cause slop as the saver is opening with less resisistance than it should.

was it an adjustment nut right?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
jroptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

YUP,exactly!I tightened it down all the way,then backed it off 2 full turns and tested out the saver to see if it still served its purpose,all is good!
Quote:

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jroptop

Quote:

Also, there is either a ''toothed'' ring above the saver, or its the nut above the upper chassis plate which applies pressure to the spring. If the pressure is not enough, this will cause slop as the saver is opening with less resisistance than it should.

was it an adjustment nut right?

Search this Thread